Will there ever be an Avernum 7?

supercow

I miss the world of Avernum. It's people, places, and atmosphere.

I'd love to see a "Return to Avernum" game, where a small group of adventurers have a good reason to go back into the depths.

Based on Jeff's recent AMA, it sounds like the near future is going to be focused on the Queen's WIsh and Geneforge franchises. Long term, I can still have hope for another Avernum though!

Jeff's talked in the past about wanting, maybe, someday, to do an "Avernum 0," set decades before Avernum 1, when the Kingdom of Avernum was just being set up, and most of the land it came to rule would've been occupied by Slith cultists and demons. I think there's a decent chance that he'll make this game, eventually. I think there's basically zero chance of an Avernum game set after 6, though- 6 is deliberately a very conclusive end to the series, and further entries would be too much treading old ground.

We've kicked this idea around before (usually during down times waiting on a new game), but sadly I can't think of any term to search for the threads.  My favorite pet theory (fairly well torn apart by the assorted reprobates around here...alas) is that QW is sort of a pre-prequel to Avernum (surface spanning 'empire', a big underworld available, etc. - if any of your siblings ever have a child they name Hawthorne...the fix is in).

Jeff has also stated that his future plans are finishing up the QW trilogy & then/also remaking GF2-5 which will take up the better part of a decade I'd imagine ... putting Jeff fairly near retirement age.  Perhaps a First Expedition/A0 magnum opus/coda to say goodbye on...time will tell I suppose.

We have already discussed this topic in another topic but I think Queen's Wish 2 and Geneforge 2 Remake are in his main focus next. There are probabilties of Avernum 0 but we should remember that not every story finds itself as a game. We have even imagined like... its plot! But in real world scenario I think he's done with Avernum for now.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:27 PM, TriRodent said:

Jeff has also stated that his future plans are finishing up the QW trilogy & then/also remaking GF2-5 which will take up the better part of a decade I'd imagine ... putting Jeff fairly near retirement age.  Perhaps a First Expedition/A0 magnum opus/coda to say goodbye on...time will tell I suppose.

That makes sense. I can't see a future for Spiderweb after he retires as he doesn't employ a big group. So maybe A3RW is the last Avernum game or we can see a twist.