Geneforge triggering 'Win32/Wacatac.DE!ml' Trojan error

kyleron

I installed Geneforge via steam yesterday on a windows steam.  Played for a few hours yesterday and a little this morning.  A little bit ago the windows defender quarantined a file and detected a 'Win32/Wacatac.DE!ml' trojan error.  The file effected is the 'Geneforge Mutagen.exe'.  I looked online and saw this also happened to people on the steam forum.  There was one thread that had a few responses and the last response is the guy who said he was just going to let it through and see what happens.  As he never came back to post again I can only imagine what happened after he clicked the button.

I believe that this is just an error on windows defender, but wanted to check here before going down the same fate as the guy on the steam forum.

19 minutes ago, Fyora et Labora said:

This happens so frequently on Steam.  Which I kinda get, except that it frequently seems to afflict the Steam version of a game, and not the non-Steam version.  This is so unfortunate.

I do tend to prefer GOG for anything that doesn't rely on the mod workshops, but a steam code is what I got from the kickstarter.

For completeness, my error code was slightly different:

Trojan:Win32/Woreflint.A!cl

Which seems to be a common false positive with steam games. Allowing it in the anti-virus fixes the problem.

42 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

From the Kickstarter I got the Steam code and the alternative of downloading a DRM code free version.

True! I had that option as well. I would normally take the DRM free option, but this soon after release I was expecting a flurry of small updates and didn't want to have to keep on top of bug fixes myself. I had that issue with Queen's Wish.

1 hour ago, alhoon said:

I have the same issue. I would await for a fix although I am sure it's a false positive. 

I am enjoying the remake enough that I'm willing to take the risk rather than wait, personally, but caution is always warranted.

54 minutes ago, alhoon said:

I would take the chance too, but I am afraid that if I whitelist this one then Windows Defender will allow in all kinds of bad stuff. 

Go to Windows security and try looking for virus/threat protection updates. It *should* now allow you to play without it being flagged as a virus on Microsoft's end.

Hey, can confirm. Windows Defender wouldn't even let me install Geneforge because of this. I unquaranteened the file, and everything seems to be peachy. To do that, you can go to the security centre, click "Virus and threat protection" and then "Protection history".