Purifying Blade

Just got this from Yu-La, and it seems to complete her/Thracker-Z's quest, I now need to forgo the benefits of at least a few canisters, which I really am not into since the quest rewards seem to be trash. That said, is this in fact the case, or can you still somehow get the canister boosts while simultaneously charging the blade? Also, how many charges/canisters does it need?

Edited by mikeprichard

You need to use the blade to absorb 3 canisters. There are plenty of canisters that you can use depending on your class. I tend to use Terror, War Blessing, Protection, Speed, or creation ones where I'm not planning to make that creation. Since you get Mass Energize you don't need some of the others.

The experience is a nice depending when you turn in the quest and as a Shaper you get access to some bands that are useful for increasing creation abilities.

Thanks - I looked up the couple rings I'd be missing out on and am definitely going to pass as a Guardian. However, does the blade itself get a lot more powerful (base damage/stat boosts) such that I might consider keeping it over e.g. the Guardian Claymore for my melee-focused Guardian, and/or is the quest XP very significant even at higher levels?

A maxed out purifying blade is 2 + (X+14)d5 damage, where X is your level. Guardian Claymore is 2 + (X+9)d5 by comparison. In other words, the Purifying Blade will have 15 more base damage (which is then increased by your % increase as normal).

Anyway, regardless of your class, Cure Affliction is pretty safe to absorb. Extra levels of it are almost never impactful.