Ranks of Spiderweb Forums?

RedBeard

Hey All,

Just joined as newbie after being a very long time player of jeff's games.

So I noticed some ranks as Hands of Avadon or ...

So its there any list of those ranks and what must be done to achieve them?

just curious!

-----------------------------EDIT -----------------------------

Making A list here what one gets where...

• New Arrival - 0 Posts
  • Citizen - 12 Posts
  • Monitor - ???
  • ???
  • Shadow Walker  - ???
  • Shaman - 450 Posts
  • ??
  • Hand of Avadon on ???
  • Heart of Avadon - on 4000 Posts!
  • Cartographer = Special on map making
  • MODERTORS special titles (Can Be Personally Set).
    • The Demon of Good Taste
    • Administrator (is that Jeff Himself???)
Edited by RedBeard
added new roles database

Moderators and administrators have titles based on that rank. Occasionally a regular member will be given a special title if they're notably interesting. Cartographer is given to people who make detailed maps of the games to assist players in finding quests and secrets and stuff. The rest of the ranks are just earned by posting enough. There used to be a list of the posting-based ranks somewhere, but I can't find it anymore...

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Yeah, all the Avadon-themed titles are related to postcount.

Which reminds me, it's probably time to switch those out to Geneforge-related titles...

(edit: also, moderators and administrators have normal or custom titles just like everyone else, they just also have a badge that identifies them as a mod/admin... which i guess is a rank, but i tend to think of more as a "thing we do".  we don't outrank anyone.)

Shadowwalker came at 450ish, Shaman was before that & not sure when I 'graduated' to that one or from what.

Looking at the other thread I was just in "Monitor" is somewhere in the 200-225 (at least) range

4 hours ago, Os Mutagênicos said:

Which reminds me, it's probably time to switch those out to Geneforge-related titles...

Or just make them across all the games so there are a LOT of titles to earn if one cares about such things.

(Don't forget Nethergate, I've always wanted to eventually be a Centurion...)

RedBeard -- a few points for your list.

1 - Individual accounts can have custom titles that replace the regular title, but there are no special titles for Moderators specifically (or any other group).

2 - Cartographer is just a custom title that several people happen to have, but I don't think it's been used in a while, even though people still make maps.  It's not anything official.

3 - Heart of Avadon is a regular postcount title, reached at 4000 posts.  It does not mean someone is a mod.

4 - The regular postcount titles will all be changing shortly, so don't get too attached to that list ;)

It feels a little weird telling RedBeard what a Heart of Avadon is, ahahaha.

Slartibus, there used to be a way (may still be, I just don't know how) to see a list of users and their post counts.  From what I remember there were very few people with post counts above 1,000 and most of them were no longer active.  If you are going to update the regular post count titles again (something that now that I think about it is probably over due), it might be worth increasing the number of different titles in the 25 to 200 range.  I don't see the Post Master General title being achieved again soon.

There did... I wonder where that went?  Well, I went and peeked behind the screen...

There are about 110 users with 1000 or more posts.  Anyway, I agree with you and think that's a good idea, though I might describe things a bit more optimistically.  Once upon a time, the really high titles were a bit of a joke -- every time Alorael came close to achieving one, the admin at the time would shift it to a higher requirement.

I started changing my name daily in protest of getting to 1000 posts without a custom title, and Drakefyre kept moving the goalposts to keep me as Postmaster General. Drakey hasn't been admin since... 2008? I've given myself a custom title eventually since I don't think anyone else has the permissions to do it.

—Alorael, who went for a walk down memory lane for that one. It gave him some laughs and some feels, and some of that walk went to times before feels were nouns.

So, just for clarity, there are three different things that are getting confused here.

image.png

1) Underneath the picture, it says "Member" or "Global Moderator" or "Administrator".  This is just a role.  It is not a title, and never overlaps with or replaces titles.

2) Underneath your current username, it says "Citizen" or "Shadowwalker" or other things.  This is a postcount-based title.  This is what everyone, including mods and admins, have by default.

3) Some people have a custom title that displays instead of their postcount-based title.  Currently, these are bestowed, and can't be personally set.  ("Cartographer" goes in this category, and is not really a reliable indicator of anything at this point.)  It is also completely detachable from the role in point 1.  There are members, mods, and admin accounts that have custom titles.  There are members, mods, and admin accounts that don't.

I still think people who make fancy detailed maps and don't have another, more personal title should still be given the Cartographer title. It should be started again. It's nice. Making those maps takes a lot of work.

Then again, I don't know what recent maps are like. If they're just screenshots of the minimaps stitched together, it's not quite the same thing as the interactive atlas type things like this: http://www.harehunter.info/Exile3/Maps/MainMap3.html

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

1 hour ago, Fyora et Labora said:

2) Underneath your current username, it says "Citizen" or "Shadowwalker" or other things.  This is a postcount-based title.  This is what everyone, including mods and admins, have by default.

So this is what I want to know of... What is the nest upcoming Post Count Based Title to Look Forward to? That's what I mean as "Rank"

So can you give me the list of what Title one can get at what post level?

47 minutes ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

the interactive atlas type things like this: http://www.harehunter.info/Exile3/Maps/MainMap3.html

Whoever has done that is GOD! the level of amazing interactive detail they have put in has saved my life countless times.

I loved them so much that I ran the site grabber and saved the entire website for offline backup in some worst case where domain expires or hosting goes off!

Level of dedication there... you cant put words to it! ❤️❤️❤️

Harehunter does have the Cartogarpher title.  He created in several cases (A2, A4, A5, A6) and kept alive/made accessible in other cases (E1-3, A1, A3) huge amounts of map and hint data.  I do not think that Harehunter is active, but he worked with Jeff on a transition plan and Jeff hosts Harehunter's maps on his ironycentral.com website with a link from his Spiderweb Software site.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:15 AM, Burnt on the Wheel said:

I started changing my name daily in protest of getting to 1000 posts without a custom title, and Drakefyre kept moving the goalposts to keep me as Postmaster General. Drakey hasn't been admin since... 2008? I've given myself a custom title eventually since I don't think anyone else has the permissions to do it..

Yikes. 2008?! 

Also, the mention of Harehaunter reminded me of those dumb pokemon pictures I made for people. I should see if I have those saved – and see how many of the members featured are still around. 👀

Also, the mention of Harehaunter reminded me of those dumb pokemon pictures I made for people. I should see if I have those saved – and see how many of the members featured are still around.

Pikablue reporting for duty!

Edit: I still have the slowbrowen picture you made of me as my steam icon.  :D

Edited by Rowen

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mysterious Man said:

Can I get a custom title?

Welcome back to the insanity.  Some of the moderators are trying to fix the host's lack of consideration for our honored traditions of custom titles and humorous ranks. Moving the cursor over the badges brings up additional information.

Please stand by and enjoy the test pattern. :)

Edited by Randomizer
missed some information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 11:07 PM, Emmisary of Immanence said:

Now that’s someone we haven’t seen for a long time, and stories I’m not sure I could even find on Wayback Machine anymore. Wow.

—Alorael, who hopes all is well and his forbearance from trotting out ancient Spiderweb memes is appreciated. 

May the prophets smile on you, my child.

—MM, who had to copy Alorael's signature hyphen... no, literally.  Right clicked and copied.