How much dosh?

I've got about 12 grand, currently, and am still carting stuff out of the Troglo Altar cave to sell in Southport.

How much money is it necessary to acquire? I know some levels of knowledge, e.g. Magery, are really costly, but are they essential to getting through Avernum 3?

It's a bit time-consuming, being a scrap-metal dealer, but if it's essential, I'll press on. laugh

You'll probably need LOTS more! Despite the fact that the gold cap is set at 15,000, you shuld try to reach it at least twice in order to get everything. Hawkes Manse costs aout 7,000 alone!

--Random Fact Number 14 - "The gold cap sucks. Why did Jeff decide to cut it down from the 30,000 limit in Exile 3 and BoA? That's games designers for you..."

I'm sure I'm not the only one to use an editor bank, but I'm the loudest proponent of it.

I'd say the biggest expense I ran into was spells. Buying all mage and priest spells for two characters, and sometimes two levels of them, gets very, very expensive. A party with fewer casters is cheaper, since you can find equipment better than you can buy almost from the very beginning. The fewer characters you have, the less you have to spend on them.

—Alorael, who doesn't think there are many expenses that are absolutely essential to anything, or even necessary to opening up more areas. But if you're a compulsive spender and buy lots and lots of Blademaster from the drake, for example, you'd better be rolling in cash.

For example, whenever you have more than 10,000 gold, use the editor to reduce your wealth by 10,000 and put a mark on a handy sticky note, notepad file, or other memo, physical or electronic. When you're strapped for cash again, use the editor to give yourself that money and cross off the mark. You're not cheating, you're just avoiding the need to save loot in large piles for when you need money.

—Alorael, who also likes to see how much total wealth he can amass. It's quite satisfying to see row upon row of tallies representing large amounts of money.