Backup these files:

G128.png
G130.png
G132.png
G133.png
G203.png

2. Unpack this archive overwriting the original UI files:
https://ufile.io/i24jwzjg

Wow, I really like this - nice work! I'm assuming Jeff went with the green as a throwback to the original (which had a horrifying, nauseating shade of green that still haunts my dreams), but I prefer your blue scheme.

I do have an art modding request for you or anyone who might see this who is capable and interested. As I and at least a few others in the Kickstarter comments and on Jeff's recent Steam demo streams have noted, the fyora sprites seem ridiculously large, especially compared to the player and other creations, and considering the fyora description calling them "small" lizards. The current Tyrannosaurus-sized fyoras are very jarring, IMO. Anyway, it seems Jeff isn't interested in addressing this (he mentioned during a stream that the huge sprites are easier on his "old eyes", ha), and although I think I've identified the relevant fyora graphics files (G2500.png through G2506.png, though it's possible I'm missing some relevant files and/or some files might be for the player's fyoras and others for enemy fyoras, the latter being a bit smaller), I have no idea where to even begin with shrinking these sprites given their format (with a large number of sprites arranged in a grid within each file).

Long story short, if anyone here could reduce the size of all of the fyora sprites to about 60% of the original, or explain to me in great detail how exactly I could do this myself, I'd be hugely grateful. I don't look forward to playing through the remake with these monstrosities - I need my cute li'l lizard bros! Thanks for reading, and for any help that can be provided.

Making the small Fyora sprites would be pretty EASY, but horrendously tedious. What I'd do is use something like Paint .NET to remove all the black lines and resize the image down to 60% size and then copy over each square to the original, which would take forever. The alternative would involve meddling with the tileset definitions, which would probably end up being just as tedious because you'd need to make sure that the new resized sprite sheet works for the new tile definition, since resizing won't end up with the tile borders being correct.

But if you have enough time on your hands, I'd suggest you try the fairly easy first method.

Edit: Also, in earlier versions of Geneforge, editing the bitmaps can cause serious issues if they're not encoded properly. I don't know whether the remake uses the typical encoding, but it's possible there can be issues with the color palette etc. when you try to edit it.

Edited by TheKian

2 hours ago, TheKian said:

Making the small Fyora sprites would be pretty EASY, but horrendously tedious. What I'd do is use something like Paint .NET to remove all the black lines and resize the image down to 60% size and then copy over each square to the original, which would take forever. The alternative would involve meddling with the tileset definitions, which would probably end up being just as tedious because you'd need to make sure that the new resized sprite sheet works for the new tile definition, since resizing won't end up with the tile borders being correct.

But if you have enough time on your hands, I'd suggest you try the fairly easy first method.

Edit: Also, in earlier versions of Geneforge, editing the bitmaps can cause serious issues if they're not encoded properly. I don't know whether the remake uses the typical encoding, but it's possible there can be issues with the color palette etc. when you try to edit it.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I've been reading the paint.net documentation, and can't find a way to remove the grid lines as the first step, since the image appears to be just a single baked-in layer including both the grid and the critters. Any ideas?

OK, I think I have it! There's no need to remove the black grid lines. I just made a copy of the entire image reduced to 60%, then copy/pasted each 60%-sized lizard from within each grid box back to each original 100% grid box. I've gotten through 1 of 7 files so far and briefly tested in game, and while some of the animation changes may be a pixel off in alignment (I'm manually copy/pasting so far), this might actually work. I assume if there were encoding issues my new resized sprites wouldn't have appeared in game at all, so I guess that's not a problem. Will keep working away and see what the final first pass results look like.

P.S. I don't want to hijack this mod thread, so if an admin wants to/wants me to move this into its own topic, please do or let me know! It may not go much further anyway if I can't figure this out, though.

Edited by mikeprichard

19 hours ago, TheKian said:

It is not horrendously tedious, I have made bigger Battle Alpha sprites without much of an issue and 5 minutes of work. I will put together a mod for GF1 remake as soon as I can. 

17 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I've been reading the paint.net documentation, and can't find a way to remove the grid lines as the first step, since the image appears to be just a single baked-in layer including both the grid and the critters. Any ideas?

OK, I think I have it! There's no need to remove the black grid lines. I just made a copy of the entire image reduced to 60%, then copy/pasted each 60%-sized lizard from within each grid box back to each original 100% grid box. I've gotten through 1 of 7 files so far and briefly tested in game, and while some of the animation changes may be a pixel off in alignment (I'm manually copy/pasting so far), this might actually work. I assume if there were encoding issues my new resized sprites wouldn't have appeared in game at all, so I guess that's not a problem. Will keep working away and see what the final first pass results look like.

P.S. I don't want to hijack this mod thread, so if an admin wants to/wants me to move this into its own topic, please do or let me know! It may not go much further anyway if I can't figure this out, though.

Wait, you did it? 

Can you share it as a mod? 

2 hours ago, alhoon said:

It is not horrendously tedious, I have made bigger Battle Alpha sprites without much of an issue and 5 minutes of work. I will put together a mod for GF1 remake as soon as I can. 

Really - please do!! Again, reducing the fyora sprites to 60% of their original size would be fantastic. I did get through 4 of the 7 files (G2500 through G2506), but as I mentioned earlier I'm very amateur at this, and ended up manually adjusting them the way I described, which so far has taken me 6 hours! Even then, since I'm manually copy-pasting each reduced critter into the original grid, the pixels don't always line up exactly, so especially for the G2500 idle animations which feature 6 idles for each of the 8 facing directions, the fyoras "wobble" a bit in game. I could actually live with the effect if I had to - having smaller fyoras is much more important to me - but if you can do this a) without this glitch and b) in a way that only takes you 5 minutes instead of me at least another 6 hours, that would be awesome!

So... yes please! I'll keep an eye here, and maybe we can open a new topic with your mod files if you like once you finish. Thanks so much for this.

This is what I managed to do:

Spoiler

adwadwadadawdad.png

You may think "Hey! That's what I wanted!" 

Well, no, it's not. You see... one of these is a fyora. The other is a Cryoa. The blue color? Gone. 
Also, it doesn't show in the image, but they have no shadows. 

And while the graphics of them attacking work well, their attack from some angles comes from a different corner of their square. What I mean is that you see the Fyora going "Phewww" and ... the fire / cold jumps not from its mouth but from next to it. 

Sorry it didn't work out. 

The other method I can try, takes longer. I will make code that reads the image, shrinks the Fyora per box and leaves the boxes at the same size. More or less what you do manually, but with a code. Then I have to make sure the images are properly transparent. It will also lower the quality. 

Edited by alhoon

Editing the image shouldn't have any impact on the color of the cryora. The game just palette-swaps the image, regardless of the bitmap file. Are you certain you didn't accidentally enable fast graphics mode or something? I haven't played the demo, but I assume it might have that setting from G5, which gets rid of palette swapping (makes everything look the same).

43 minutes ago, TheKian said:

Editing the image shouldn't have any impact on the color of the cryora. The game just palette-swaps the image, regardless of the bitmap file. Are you certain you didn't accidentally enable fast graphics mode or something? I haven't played the demo, but I assume it might have that setting from G5, which gets rid of palette swapping (makes everything look the same).

Well, to be honest I am not sure I have not changed something. However, the issue with the missing shadows remains. I will check again. 

Yeah, I think something else might be going on with your setup. With my method (still with only 4 of the 7 files done - I'd frankly prefer to wait on your coded solution if you still plan to try that, since my method is excruciatingly tedious), cryoas are blue, and I have shadows. I did expect that the flame/frost attacks would still be sourced from a bit above the smaller critters' heads since the game still expects them to be spat out by Godzilla-sized creations, and that's also the case with my method, but I'm also nowhere near skilled enough to know how that side issue could be fixed, if it can. Hope you can manage though!

Just had a thought - when you say your method will "shrink the fyora per box", that might cause a more severe pixel misalignment/"wobbling" issue if the fyoras aren't bottom-justified - i.e. if the position of their feet within each box isn't perfectly aligned top to bottom across each grid row within each image file. Aligning them perfectly in all cases seems impossible through my manual method - moving various individual images by one pixel and switching back to the game repeatedly to test is what took so many of my 6 hours for the first 4 files, but I still couldn't get them exactly still on their feet while idling and finally gave up. Not sure if I'm making sense or you've already accounted for this, but FYI!

Edited by mikeprichard

Actually, I was thinking that centering them within each box might itself cause problems where the fyora idle animations might have them popping up/down/left/right slightly from one frame to the next, but you clearly know what you're doing better than I, so if you're not seeing any issues in game, go with it!

No, I don't know what I am doing more than you. I know how to do what I am doing, but again, what you said helped. I have forgot that the animations move a bit. 
The good news is that I would lock it on a certain pixel so it would be hopefully in the same location. 

Also, I am not yet doing what I am supposed to be doing. I have not even started with that program... 

22 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

Sounds good and no problem; please take your time as you need to - the game doesn't launch for another couple weeks anyway!

About the color of the Cryoras and their shadows:

I tried, I failed. 

I modify the PNG files. However, in order to save them, I save just the pixel values, not the "transparency" and other layers. The shadows you see are in the transparency layers and the color for the cryoras goes with the transparency layers. The PNG is smaller because of this. 

You can see what I mean if you replace the original file with this: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p6d1cjpqsy9pr0/G2500.png?dl=0

On 2/11/2021 at 9:57 PM, alhoon said:

About the color of the Cryoras and their shadows:

I tried, I failed. 

I modify the PNG files. However, in order to save them, I save just the pixel values, not the "transparency" and other layers. The shadows you see are in the transparency layers and the color for the cryoras goes with the transparency layers. The PNG is smaller because of this. 

You can see what I mean if you replace the original file with this: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p6d1cjpqsy9pr0/G2500.png?dl=0

OK, I see what you mean about the cryoas, shadows, and image quality - bummer. Here are the four out of the seven files I've done so far. Maybe you could take a look and see if you have ideas to fix the two issues I'm seeing with my method ("wobbling" and fire/frost breath sourcing from the wrong height, though I assume the latter issue could only be fixed by editing separate breath image files, if that's even possible)?

EDIT: removed obsolete link to files made redundant by alhoon's much better modding solution below (i.e. editing the "cr_scaling" stat in the GFitemschars.txt file in the game "Scripts" folder).

Edited by mikeprichard

My input may be useless because I don't see the original graphics sheet (I don't use Steam and I'm still slowly working on Exile 3 anyway) but would manually lining up the Fyora's feet frame by frame solve the wobbling problem? You could create a new layer so you can see the new version overlaid over the original version, for comparison. "Locking it onto a certain pixel" was mentioned. Between the feet would be the anchor pixel to prevent wobbling, I think.

As for the fireballs coming out off the shrunken fyora's eyes, you'd have to either adjust a script if possible to lower the fireball; shift the entire fyora up; extend its limbs and/or neck; or rotate its body to stand it up more erect.

I actually find it disappointing that the in-game fyora sprite doesn't really match the character art at all. Maybe make it more red too, if you want.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Thanks for the input, TADOS! Lining up the fyoras' feet is exactly what I've been trying to do, but doing it precisely through a manual process has proven impossible, at least for me. I'm curious to hear alhoon's thoughts on your other ideas on this if he/she has time to review my uploaded files showing my progress so far. As for the fireball positions, I don't think shifting the fyora would work, as that would cause the smaller fyoras to be placed too far up within the grid square they're supposed to be positioned in. I'd also prefer not to change the fyora body posture/limb length etc., but would rather keep them at vanilla proportions, just smaller.

I also don't have any plans to change the color or make any changes beyond simply reducing the sprite size to 60% of the original (which I've tested in game and personally strongly prefer), but I hope to eventually post the smaller critters in a new forum topic, and open things up to other users to make other changes they might like to see themselves (i.e. setting sizes other than my preferred 60%, changing color, changing other sprites, etc.).

Alhoon cannot help with manually aligning reduced-sized Fyoras and he's sad about it. Making the Fyora more red ... I am not 100% sure it would work. It would influence the colors of the "Fyora-byproducts" too, I think. 

About the cones of fire and cold etc... frankly, they don't align perfectly even with the 100% Fyora if you look out for it. But my problem is not the fire of the Fyora coming a little higher than where it should be, it's the loss of transparency (which causes a lot of other problems)

I agree re: the cones not aligning perfectly not being a big deal, and I can even live with the fyoras not being perfectly still on their feet as long as they're close, assuming I can't figure out TADOS' layer trick to help me align them better and such better alignment is even possible.

So... does this mean I need to subject myself to another 6 hours of pain adjusting the remaining three files (he asked, hoping the answer was "no")? (heh) If so, I'll try to get it done over the next week and upload all seven files to a new topic as the final version of the 60% fyora/cryoa mod as far as I can take it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now finished the job to reduce fyoras and cryoas to 60% of their original monstrous size; the temporary link to the .zip with the seven files is below. This took me 15 hours of painstaking manual edits in paint.net, so I won't be doing any more work on this, but I'm posting the files here for the next couple days in case anyone miraculously comes up with a very quick and simple method to correct the slight "wobbling" in the idle animations (per file G2500.png, as I detailed above) that I wasn't able to fully fix by my method. After the game releases on the 24th, I'll post a permanent link to the files in a new forum topic, under the new dedicated Geneforge 1 - Mutagen forum I assume the admins will create at that time. For now, enjoy trying this in the demo!

EDIT: removed obsolete link to files made redundant by alhoon's much better modding solution below (i.e. editing the "cr_scaling" stat in the GFitemschars.txt file in the game "Scripts" folder).

Edited by mikeprichard

Of course! The download isn't blocked for me in either Firefox or Edge - and the OP used the same site for their upload - but I did need to create a free account somewhere, so here it is on Mediafire. Please let me know if you're still having issues!

Edited by mikeprichard

Got it. You have my sincere thanks. 

Dear Moderators: Could we have this mod added in the mod list for Geneforge 1 - Mutagen?  (Not to mention that I think it works for the original GF1 with a bit of text editing.)

EDIT: Going by the images at least, the "wobling" you describe is like 2 pixels. I thought I would have fun with the "drunken Fyoras" but it doesn't seem noticeable (again, going by the images, have not put it in the game yet). 

Edited by alhoon

Thanks! But if the moderators do end up linking this in a mod list, could they please wait a couple days until I post the mod with installation instructions and brief notes in a new topic under the new dedicated Geneforge 1 Mutagen forum? (Again, I'm assuming from past experience such a forum will be created.)

Edited by mikeprichard

Unless I'm completely mistaken, this is a size discrepancy that didn't exist for OG1, so the mod wouldn't make sense there, even if the graphics file format is identical.  (Which I wouldn't have guessed, but I assume it is since you're saying that alhoon?)  OG1 didn't even have the same fyora images as the whole series did -- I forget when that changed.

Also, there isn't a mod list for G:M yet, so hold your horses :)

I'm sure we'll end up with a Strategy Central sooner or later, once there's actual strategy content to put there.

No no! Do not assume it because I made an off-the-cuff remark without having even installed GF1-original. I am sorry I gave you the wrong impression. What I meant is that if you copy-paste the right images and tweak the GF1-original graphics to have the right sprites and the correct sizes, it should work - but I have not done it for GF1, or even checked whether it is possible.  I have done it with Serviles for GF2-3 and for Battle Alphas in GF3 but never for GF1. 

Please remember that when I post here, I often post in a relaxed manner. Many (probably most) of my posts are not heavily researched with lots-of-thought posts. 

Thanks, Slarty, and yes, the G1:M fyora graphics have only been around since G4. That said, as I'll indicate in my new topic after the game drops, anyone with the skill and inclination to try to adapt the files for other purposes (e.g. changing critter color, using with G1-G3 if even possible, etc.) will of course be free to take a look!

15 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

I've now finished the job to reduce fyoras and cryoas to 60% of their original monstrous size; the temporary link to the .zip with the seven files is below. This took me 15 hours of painstaking manual edits in paint.net, so I won't be doing any more work on this, but I'm posting the files here for the next couple days in case anyone miraculously comes up with a very quick and simple method to correct the slight "wobbling" in the idle animations (per file G2500.png, as I detailed above) that I wasn't able to fully fix by my method. After the game releases on the 24th, I'll post a permanent link to the files in a new forum topic, under the new dedicated Geneforge 1 - Mutagen forum I assume the admins will create at that time. For now, enjoy trying this in the demo!

https://ufile.io/ff1bveqd

Ehh... friend? I hope you will not have the urge to kill me after those 15 hours but... there's a stat in the GFitemschars.txt. It's called... "cr_scaling " 

It does exactly what you wanted. Put:

cr_scaling = 60;

under the Fyora's name. Like this: 

// imported for all fyora types

import = 0;

cr_name = "Fyora";

cr_scaling = 60;

cr_graphic_template = 150;

The purple is the added line. It does the trick. I changed Fyoras to up to 190% to make them big as dinosaurs and back again. It works. 

Keep in mind that there are some Fyoras in the game that are larger or smaller. You need to adjust them too. I.e. if you see cr_scaling = 90 for the Enraged Fyora, you need to change it to say 55. If you want your drayks to be impressively large, tweak them too to be 130 or something. 

alhoon, that's huge! I will never be able to take back those 15 hours of my life spent smashing my face against the screen to move those infernal little buggers around a grid pixel by pixel, but that sure isn't your fault. Really pleased to see there seems to be a simple and completely effective solution - thanks for sharing! Going to look into this later for my own game. I do suggest that just your detailed instructions on this would be great to have prominently linked somewhere in the good ol' Strategy Central when that goes up.

UPDATE: Yep, I just tested your trick in game for a few minutes, and it works perfectly, both for fyoras and cryoas (and I'm sure other pairs of creatures including the base creation and color-swap version). Got to admit I really, really wish Jeff had thought to explain this easy trick to me and saved me a lot of time (I have to assume he was aware of the cr_scaling stat) when I emailed him a couple weeks ago to report some bugs that unfortunately didn't seem to be caught in beta as well as the suggestion for smaller fyoras. I think he said there and/or on one of his fun demo streams later when someone else also raised the issue that smaller fyoras would be tough on his eyes or something, lol. Eh, all's well that ends well. Thanks again for the assist!

Edited by mikeprichard

This is awesome. Thank you both for working this out. As GF becomes more mod friendly, I wonder if we'll be able to update art assets with our own personal projects. The dream would be to get to a point where the appearance of the player character changes as different items are equipped (or at least, 2-3 sword assets and maybe small changes for cloaks, robes, chain, and plate armor). I don't know how challenging that would be but... if the appearance of the PC can change depending on whether one has a sword, wand, or nothing equipped, then I figure the world is our oyster!

11 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

I do suggest that just your detailed instructions on this would be great to have prominently linked somewhere in the good ol' Strategy Central when that goes up.

single line that is copy-pasted doesn't make a good mod. 🙂 Perhaps we could make a thread about modding GF1M similar to the one for GF5. 

7 hours ago, Felix_Felicis said:

As GF becomes more mod friendly, I wonder if we'll be able to update art assets with our own personal projects.

That's already possible. This thread is about updating the art assets (green UI) with different assets (blue UI).  

I have updated the sprites for serviles in GF2-3 with those from GF5 for example. Or Mike Prichard changed the art assets (Fyoras) with his own personal project (smaller fyoras). 

It is possible to put different sprites in there if you do the work in the right txt files. For example, You can get a giant spider sprite from here. Then, you "cut it up" in the right sprite files for moving, attacking, dying etc, name the new files appropriately, and add the giant spider in the GFfloorster.txt. Then you make an entry in the file for the creatures about giant spiders. 

In GF4-5 you can add them to the game using theKian's modding suite. In GF1-3 and GF1-M you have to figure out how to do it using a hex editor. 

But it is possible. If you know what you're doing, it would take a couple of hours to add giant spiders as monsters in GF4-5. If you want the player to make giant spiders, you swap out another creation the PC can make. For example, you could have the player make spiders instead of clawbugs or something. 

PS. The spiders are an example. There are more free sprites out there. 

Edited by alhoon

5 hours ago, alhoon said:

single line that is copy-pasted doesn't make a good mod. 🙂 Perhaps we could make a thread about modding GF1M similar to the one for GF5. 

Yep, that's exactly what I meant - it doesn't need to be a full "mod" to be linked in Strateg-ery Central! Quick instructions on this to easily link there would be great - maybe the link could just go directly to your post above, assuming people should be sophisticated enough to find the file to edit in the game's "Scripts" folder.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:32 PM, alhoon said:

...there's a stat in the GFitemschars.txt. It's called... "cr_scaling " 

It does exactly what you wanted. Put:

cr_scaling = 60;

under the Fyora's name. Like this: 

// imported for all fyora types

import = 0;

cr_name = "Fyora";

cr_scaling = 60;

cr_graphic_template = 150;

The purple is the added line. It does the trick. I changed Fyoras to up to 190% to make them big as dinosaurs and back again. It works.

Keep in mind that there are some Fyoras in the game that are larger or smaller. You need to adjust them too. I.e. if you see cr_scaling = 90 for the Enraged Fyora, you need to change it to say 55. If you want your drayks to be impressively large, tweak them too to be 130 or something. 

Alhoon/mods, could this post of alhoon's please be linked in Strategy Central as a "Modding creature size" or similar item, assuming alhoon agrees and with any further edits they may want to make? I know from posts on Kickstarter and Jeff's demo streams as well as the topic here that at least a few people specifically wanted smaller fyoras, and alhoon's simple solution allows players to do this and more.

Definitely.  Alhoon, can I suggest you make a new topic with that info?  I know this is a very innocuous edit, but please also include an emphatic warning to (1) backup your files first, and (2) "Game data files/scripts and saved games that have been edited, using cheat codes or not, are unsupported. Spiderweb Software cannot properly support game files that have been edited in ways we can't examine or control. "

(This is Spiderweb's request to go on pages where mods/edits are distributed.)