GF1M Release Date is Feb 24th

Tempting as it is to try the demo I am battling my way through Avernum EFTP for the first time at the minute and as my first experience of Spiderweb games is so incredibly positive I will definitely buy Geneforge on full release as I want to go in totally blind. Thanks for your first impressions  though they are very encouraging.

Ian, as I mentioned in the other thread, enjoy your journey as you only get to see Avernum (or Geneforge, or Queen's Wish, or Avadon, etc) for the first time once.  If the timing of finishing up A1EFtP works out where you finish it up around the release date, you may want to move onto GF1M next rather than QW.  I say this because, with the release of a new game the boards will get busy with chatter about that game for a month or three.  That would allow you to join in on the discussions/fun 'live' as it were.  Just a thought.  Going in blind shouldn't be a problem as the whole universe/situation is explained in the intro/first part of the game.  A completely different situation/universe than Avernum but just as detailed in the world building.  It's an enjoyable journey through those chapters of the story as well.

Also, (info for everyone...) if the timing is such that you finish up soon, go ahead and start on the demo as any saved games that you have 'should' transfer over to when the full game is installed.  So continuation of the character that you're playing shouldn't be an issue.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:21 AM, Chopkinsca said:

If only I didn't have so many other games in my queue, I really want to play this. Perhaps I should buy it when it launches anyway, as support. 

I have 113 games in my quene and I am downloading the demo right now. I will get the game the moment I see it and play it, skipping those 113 other games. 

It's how I got to have 113 games in my queue anyway.  

12 hours ago, Ian Gillibrand said:

Tempting as it is to try the demo I am battling my way through Avernum EFTP for the first time at the minute and as my first experience of Spiderweb games is so incredibly positive I will definitely buy Geneforge on full release as I want to go in totally blind. Thanks for your first impressions  though they are very encouraging.

Welcome buddy! 

I also have tried my very best to avoid spoilers of Geneforge 1, and for someone that is haunting a geneforge forum for the past several years it was harder than it sounds*. AAAAALL these years of patience are about to be rewarded. 

*For example, I avoid reading most posts here in fear there will be spoilers. :)

Hi Alhoon and TriRodent !

I buckled thanks to TriRodent and just downloaded the demo but just so I can see the intro and background and maybe a 15 minute taster just to check I like the premise as both art style ( colours) and mechanics are evidently very different from Avernum.

Not sure who I am kidding..... I am sure I will like it...but much like Alhoon I am very cautious about avoiding spoilers for a proper adventure.

It is a matter of huge satisfaction to me that having just freed the  prisoners from the Nephalim fort and reached level 11 or so in Avernum EFTP I haven't  consulted any game guides...(so have had some very close to total party wipes) and this will be my approach in this game too.

As an aside the game balance and pacing  on normal for a noob like me is absolutely  spot on in EFTP so I hope Geneforge will be the same.

All the best

Ian

13 hours ago, alhoon said:

I have 113 games in my quene and I am downloading the demo right now. I will get the game the moment I see it and play it, skipping those 113 other games. 

It's how I got to have 113 games in my queue anyway.  

Well, all the games in my Queue are Spiderweb Software games. Also, all but one of them are second replays. Depending on when I finish replaying Avernum 6, I might grab this new Geneforge remake and play that.

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping it would be out when I wake up tomorrow. That hope was from assuming it was set to automatically release at a certain time. Now that I know it relies on Jeff, it probably won't be out when I wake up. I suppose I can play the demo while waiting. It feels so odd to be looking forward to a game's release.

I'm saying this from a point of absolute ignorance ... so take it with a boulder of salt.

However with it being released on Steam (& I think GOG), the final game version is probably with them & they're the one who set the release time.  I really can't see Steam waiting around for Jeff to stumble out of bed, grab his coffee, & say "Ok, let's do this...".  Back when the games were only available through SW website, yeah then I can see it dependent on when Jeff was done with his coffee, walking the dog, sorting his sock drawer, etc.  But not now with a much wider release through different retailers.

Again, I could be completely wrong on that so...

(with GOG being Polish ... it might even be available in 25 minutes or so ... doubt it but you never know)