Hi all

This will not be news to everyone on here I guess but as a 54 year old British guy who thanks to You Tube has only just discovered Spiderweb Software games ( yes, really ! )  and having picked up the Avernum series in the recent sales I just wanted to say how blown away I am by my first few hours in Avernum Escape from the Pit....great atmosphere very we designed and easy to understand UI (in contrast to Underrail which I picked up at the same time) and the writing is just so immersive.

I will be picking up all the remastered back catalogue and it feels like a great adventure beginning.

Kudos to Jeff and the rest of the small team. Amazing work

Cheers

Ian

Hi

Yes I think us old gits definitely appreciate the craft of a good well written saga like the Spiderweb games.

It would be interesting to know the age demographic of the spiderweb customers. I am happy to leave the shallow mess that is Empire of Sin and the buggy mess of visually impressive Cyberpunk 2077 to the youngsters 😉

Cheers

Ian

PS....which games have you played and which have you enjoyed most ?

As an also 54 year old (sigh, where did the time go) sitting here deep in the middle of flyover country, let me toss my welcome in as well.  I'd love to be able to go back in time to be able to see the assorted Spiderweb games for the first time all over again (mainly because it would be nice to not have my body falling apart...but the games are great too).

Anyway, enjoy the games.  You're in for an incredible ride through the playground of Jeff's mind.

(as to the PS, I've been around since the Exile 2 days so I've seen most everything as it came along.  Avernum is probably my favorite series.  Geneforge a fairly close second (the remake of GF1 is supposed to come out towards the end of next month (Feb (I think that's what Jeff said)), so keep your eyes out for that). Then Nethergate & Avadon bringing up the rear (not that Avadon is a 'bad' game/series, it's quite fun to play - I just personally didn't get mentally absorbed into that universe like I did the others)).

Cheers Randomiser those results were fascinating.

Thanks for the welcome by the way. It is a very well organised forum you have here !

TriRodent.... many thanks for your opinions....I am going to pick up Queens Wish next and then  and then the new Geneforge remake when released. Opinion on Geneforge  seems almost universally positive so it seems a safe bet !

The fact I am someone who has very much concentrated on Grand Strategy games up to now  explains my ignorance of Spiderweb but it is indeed a privilege being able to see such a big back catalogue to explore for the first time.

All the best to you all.

Ian

Edited by Ian Gillibrand
Bad grammar !

5 hours ago, Ian Gillibrand said:

The fact I am someone who has very much concentrated on Grand Strategy games up to now

Then you should really like Queen's Wish (I can't believe I forgot to mention that one - on my list, stick it in after Geneforge).  While you running around doing your thing within the game is on the tactical level, the whole premise of the game is doing strategic things for your mother the Queen.  So outside of the actual thumping on monsters, most everything you do needs to have at least in the back of your mind, "what will 'this' do on the strategic/broader picture" level because what you do in 'x' will possibly have an impact over in 'y' (you'll understand once you get playing).

If you're on Steam or GOG, they fairly often put Spiderweb's catalog on sale so you can reasonably cheaply get them all.  Avernum 1 EFtP, A2 Crystal Souls, & A3 Ruined World are all remakes of Avernum 1-3 (which in turn were remakes of the ancient Exile series), the rest are all unique games (until GF1Mutagen comes out next month anyway).  Or if money isn't 'that' big of an issue, you should be able to order them from Spiderweb's website in which case a higher % would go to Jeff.  Regardless, you should be able to get several hundred hours of entertainment for under $50 all told. (there's 6 chapters/games in the Avernum universe, 5 in Geneforge, 3 for Avadon, Queen's Wish is projected to be a trilogy (I think), & Nethergate is a stand alone game (although there really are two different games within it), so you have lots of hours of fantastic storytelling/gameplay ahead over you.

Hi TriRodent

I am a Steam guy with occasional infidelities across at GoG if they have the relevant games on sale 😉

I agree with the value for money aspect...having been used to paying between 30 and 40  pounds sterling for my games it is amazing to see a trilogy going for less than that. Given the enjoyment I have already got in my first dozen hours just getting into the Nepharim fort near Fort Duvno (where vicious room to room fighting continues as I type) in Escape from the Pit I am a very happy camper.

This is of course my first Party build on normal difficulty and I can also appreciate the replay value given the mistakes I now see I have made up to this point.

Queens Wish sounds very interesting  and will be my next buy though I did see some of the Spiderweb veterans aren't too keen on the base building mechanics but it certainly wont put me off.

Now off to try and recover the Mayor's valuables from wherever the hell the Nepharim and goblins have secreted them 👍