Please help me not smash my face into the keyboard anymore o_0

WolfSpider

Not really sure this is the correct place, as there is no need for any kind of specs on my part.  And the games work, minus the whole Geneforge sound thing issue from before... but these games... seem a little too... stiff.  Avadon, Avernum, Geneforge and not sure about the rest.  I did not look at when these games were made, but it is beginning to drive me crazy that I can not click anywhere on the screen and continue on with the game.  Or press G twice (my finger is already hovering over the key) or the inventory button again (my mouse pointer is already hovering over it) to get out of the screen.  I just want to quickly check if anything good is in reach and then get on with the game.  "Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am!", as they say.  😅

I am not sure if it is hardwired into my brain or I am just too stubborn, but I really do not like that I can not get out of the inventory screen for instance, in the way I am accustomed too.  And I do not want to really get "used" to it either.  🤗  Is there a way to do that by any chance, a simple change to a file name or something?  Just press the inventory button again or click basically anywhere to get out of it, minus that one little spot with the check mark or I suppose maybe the ESC key?  Why is the game so stiff?

The letter keys can't be used to close the inventory because they're used to select items. There's not really any way to change it. I've always used ESC, it's rapid enough.

There's some theoretical world where clicking outside of the opened windows does something, or using the inventory shortcut closes the window if there's no item using that letter, but we don't live there. Relish the opportunity to stretch your fingers, it's good for you.

7 hours ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

Yes, the ESC key. Did you try it before you wrote this rant?

And the Enter key as well.  🧐

6 hours ago, Sudanna said:

The letter keys can't be used to close the inventory because they're used to select items. There's not really any way to change it. I've always used ESC, it's rapid enough.

There's some theoretical world where clicking outside of the opened windows does something, or using the inventory shortcut closes the window if there's no item using that letter, but we don't live there. Relish the opportunity to stretch your fingers, it's good for you.

I did not think about it, until you mentioned it and I find myself really using the mouse pointer over the letter keys anyway.  I guess if there is no way around it, there is nothing else to do, but stretch my fingers half way across the board in either direction... 🤗

Leave it to Sudanna to provide a much more helpful answer than my dumb teasing. You do that a lot and I like that about you. I know you don't like me, but I'd like to dedicate a song to you and the other Refugi: Meg Myers's cover of Kate Bush's song "Running Up That Hill". I can't say much else to you right now but I hope you give it a listen. "Do you wanna know, know that It doesn't hurt me? Do you wanna hear about the deal I'm making? It's you. It's you and me, it's you and me. You won't be unhappy." (Note the seizure warning on the official video.)

11 hours ago, WolfSpider said:

stretch my fingers half way across the board in either direction... 🤗

If you tend to keep your hand around the number pad for movement after you close the inventory panel, it's not really that much of a stretch. There are two Emter keys, one on either side of the number pad.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

I appreciate the positive approach, ADoS.  That said, let's try to practice some good boundaries as well.  Please do not insert personal conflicts (even friendly attempts to resolve said conflicts :)) into threads that have nothing to do with them.  PM is probably a better venue.  Thanks.

(IMHO, that is particularly good advice for handling this conflict, since poor boundaries are what caused it to arise in the first place.)

Locking this thread since the original topic seems to have run its course.  If someone has more to say about window-closing or any other flavor of face-smashing :), please feel free to start a new topic.