Avernum 2: Does anyone know what the tomes in Elderan's tower do?

3 hours ago, gellerche said:

Thanks, Randomizer.  I'll make this return one of my last quests.

I don't know if you want to wait 'that' long.  Depending on your individual damage spell preferences, there's a pretty good L3 spell within the tower.  If you've managed to recover a Crystal Soul then you're probably strong enough to take the tower.

(iirc the layout - hide around a nearby corner, fight mode, as many buffs as possible, he wants to chat before the fight so everyone races in & summons a distraction/meat shield before he turns hostile & you can hit him, chat, fight, hope for the best)

I wouldn't wait to close to the end to do the tower, it is useful to complete because of one of the Tomes being a spell book and then it leads to another location that you need to complete that has another (though not as useful) Level 3 spell.  It would be good to have Level 3 Move Mountains and Level 3 Dispel Barrier before going to the second location, but level 2 is good enough for Elderan's tower

Thank you all for the great advice.  As an aside (although none of you had anything to do with this battle) it just doesn't seem well designed, which is why I wanted to skip it.  

It combines (1) a hard-hitting, nearly invulnerable enemy, (2) an enemy army that just gets bigger and bigger, and (3) a mechanic where if you make a mistake (i.e. let one of the shades get to Elderan so he heals himself) you have to start all over.  It was like the mechanic wasn't to make it challenging, but to make it hard (especially with the "start over" mechanic).  And that changed it from a game to work.

No need to respond - it was just so frustrating that I wanted to write it down to get it out of my system.

Thanks!

Jeff gets an idea for a boss battle and repeats it in several games. This fight requires killing the shades before they get near him so you need to find ways to keep Elderan busy and clump things together so you can use area effect attacks to speed up killing everything.

To those that play the Geneforge remake and reach a certain place you will see a fight type that came later in the series.