Can Never Finish a Game, Tormented

SoulScroll

This post is mostly a despairing one at the demands of adulthood and daily survival...

Ever since I was a child finding a mysterious Dungeons and Dragons module B2 'Keep on the Borderlands' in my dad's closet (he NEVER played D&D and I have NO idea how it ended up in his closet), I fell in love with RPG's. Not much of a leap for me to be enthralled at Jeff's games.

I absolutely L-O-V-E & adore ALL of Jeff's games. I own every single one of them. I have never come close to finishing any of them. I refuse to play any difficulty except Torment ('difficulty fetishist' as Jeff brilliantly describes someone like me).

I just can not ever find the time to thoroughly explore the true depths of Jeff's awesomeness at writing and creating worlds. 

This is my own Torment-level meta game.

Edited by SoulScroll

Huh. I guess you really don't want to slack off. I believe one really has to optimize their stats and stuff to make it on Torment, that's why I always settle with Hard. That way I can be a bit funky with my choices, and even get away with total mistakes. To each their own, and I do admire your dedication! I hope you do get all the way through something, why not ALL SW games on Torment one day - the forums with their experienced members may help with that!

Hi Losrandir, thanks for your reply and apologies for the delayed response...but I wanted to think things over a bit.

I often wonder why I always insist on setting the absolute hardest difficulty on all the games I've ever played, not just Spiderweb games. Dedication to Jeff V. for me is simply buying his games, donating to his Kickstarters, etc. I could just as easily enjoy his in-game stories on Casual setting as I would Torment.

I'm not exactly sure why I insist on Torment all the time. Sometimes people tell me I am "quite hard on myself" so playing the toughest difficulties is a symptom of that?

It could also mean I am trying to 'prove' something to myself or others.

EDIT:  I still thought Jeff's '(gaming) difficulty fetishists' quip on his old Bottom Feeder blog was brilliantly described. It does lead to a lot of save/re-load frustration & incomplete games for me.

On 12/6/2020 at 5:16 PM, Losrandir said:

Huh. I guess you really don't want to slack off. I believe one really has to optimize their stats and stuff to make it on Torment, that's why I always settle with Hard. That way I can be a bit funky with my choices, and even get away with total mistakes. To each their own, and I do admire your dedication! I hope you do get all the way through something, why not ALL SW games on Torment one day - the forums with their experienced members may help with that!

Edited by SoulScroll

6 hours ago, Kelandon said:

FWIW, I don't find Torment to be fun until at least the second or third time through the game. I usually play on Hard, too. The most recent time I played a SW game on Torment for the first run through (Geneforge 5), it was a heck of a slog.

Add me to this camp too.  First time through is on Normal.  Then at least 2-3 run throughs on Hard before even attempting Torment.  This gives you a chance to get a general feel for the game, knowledge of you should wait until you meet 'x' before doing 'y' (as an example, selling mined crystals in A5), major booby traps/hard areas, etc.  Jumping straight to torment just seems like an exercise in frustration because for the most part you do have to min/max things to survive.

My 2% of a $

I'd say I'm usually in Kel's camp -- Hard -- but there  are some SW games that become painfully unchallenging with optimized builds, even on harder difficulties.  Geneforge 1-3 and A2:CS are good examples.

I'll also say that Torment is usually tormenting at the very beginning, and then quickly becomes less excruciating.  There are definitely games where I'll start on Hard for sanity, then switch to Torment after a few level ups.

It depends for me on the learning curve. If the game is close enough in playing style to another one, then I can start on torment difficulty and do well enough that I'm not reloading or starting over with a different build.

Torment has become more interesting in the recent games because it no longer just multiply the monster's stats to make it harder.