Apples are sweet, but games are...

Warrior Mage

Apple did something right this time and created Rosetta 2, a hidden x86 emulator that you install once, to allow running older Intel designed software on the M1 chip without a noticeable difference. It runs the new Geneforge 1- Mutagen as fast as on an Intel Mac. No loading up the emulator like the original Rosetta needed for OS 9 software on OS 10 computers.

No need for Jeff to make any changes in the games that run on current Mac computers.

3 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

No loading up the emulator like the original Rosetta needed for OS 9 software on OS 10 computers.

Not to be that guy, but you're talking about the Classic environment, not Rosetta. The first version of Rosetta was used to run old old PowerPC applications on Intel Macs, and it didn't require loading.

I used a G4 iBook Power PC for the Classic Environment and thought that was Rosetta. I don't remember having the ability to run Power PC programs on my Intel Macs.

There was an extremely negative comparison between the old Rosetta and this one. However it's gone from my browser history.

I would really like to maim the designers that reduced the port numbers on the new M1 computers. My Mac Mini now has two Thunderbolt ports with one for the monitor and two USB ports instead of the previous four. So during setup those were mouse and keyboard until I could install the wireless keyboard.

"The first version of Rosetta, introduced in 2006 as a component of Mac OS X Tiger, allows PowerPC applications to run on Intel-based Macs. The second version, introduced in 2020 as a component of macOS Big Sur, is part of the Mac transition from Intel processors to Apple silicon."

Yeah, I know that Rosetta 2 exists to allow old X86 based programs to run on new ARM chips, but I predict that these won't last longer as like the previous transition. And Spiderweb games have historically been played for a longer time, and it is evident from games like Exile which are still played (Not on new macs). So, it makes sense to create some piece of innovation that helps this to continue. I know that most of the gamers don't use Macs, but some folks are out in there. Why would we like someone to say, "I unfortunately can't play Geneforge: Mutagen in my 2025 iMac." ???

On 11/22/2020 at 10:55 PM, Randomizer said:

I would really like to maim the designers that reduced the port numbers on the new M1 computers. My Mac Mini now has two Thunderbolt ports with one for the monitor and two USB ports instead of the previous four. So during setup those were mouse and keyboard until I could install the wireless keyboard.

Oh boy, am I ever with you on that desire to maim! I had to buy a wireless printer in order to make everything work - which it just barely does.

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm guessing whatever runs on Catalina will also run on the new M1 Apple Silicon Macs.

Is it only Queen's Wish and Geneforge 1: Mutagen that work on Catalina?"

I haven't tested all of the latest Spiderweb games, but did look at a couple. My M1 Silicon Mini is running Big Sur. If an app runs on Big Sur, it should run on Catalina. Just downloaded and started the demo for Avernum 3: Ruined World with no problem. Ditto for Queen's Wish.

Edited by Painted Lady
Error inserting image