Crystal souls - cave lore

Traute Springer-Yakar

A few weeks ago, I saw that all of my PCs showed signs of poisoning, while crossing a swamp, all save the one with the characteristic 'cave lore'. Shortly after the machine that game was on broke and the saves on it couldn't be recovered without professional help.

So I created a new party on a machine running Windows Vista and gave cave lore to everyone. I usually give several charactaristics to each character as I enjoy roaming the countryside killing everything that will fight, and I almost never finish a game lower than lvl 40, so the extra 9 points won't matter.

None of them get poisoned any more when crossing a swamp, but they still get that nerve-racking cough.

Did anyone here know, that cave lore could do that?

AFAIK there aren't as many rings etc of poison resistance in Exile II as there are in Exile I. No idea whether higher poison resistance would be part of either good constitution or toughness which all of them have anyway. But in that old save only one of them had cave lore and that one would be the only one not getting poisoned while crossing a swamp. That's why I gave cave lore to everyone in the new party as I couldn't be bothered curing poison every few steps. But that  cough is still getting on my nerves....

>>Good Constitution reduces the impact of poison and disease, yes. That's it's primary function. <<

But it never saved them from getting poisoned in the first place. Really, I don't consider it logical that cave lore will let them cross a swamp without getting poisoned while a char without cave  lore gets poisoned after two moves, but it does.

>>

>>The idea is the Cave Lore gives them better navigational skills, so they avoid pricking themselves on poisonous fungi or falling into toxic sludge.<<

That must be it.  They still get poisoned in combat like any other group I had, but they don't outside.