Avernum 2- stuck trying to find passage to Pyrog’s cave

I received the quest to go to Pyrog’s cave from the Olgai elders, and it shows up on my list, but I haven’t been able to find any secret passage.  I am up by the Moldy Cave where according to the map is @ where the passage should be, but .... There are two waterways, but both have waterfalls.  Any idea where I’ve gone wrong?  

There's a path around to the east of Pyrog's lair. At the end of the path is dock with two boats. Row a boat to just behind Pyrog's lair. You'll need to be told how to find the secret passage first or you'll just hit a dead end, as Randomizer says.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

I just went through all dialogue options with the elders, but no mention of a map.  Is there an action I might have left out? 

Just revisited Fort Dolthar, read papers on podium, went back to Olgai and no change in dialogue options, no mention of a map.  I am pretty frustrated, because this stymies my progress in the game. Please help if you can!

Edited by Mbira
Additional actions

You need to find the empire docks in order to get a boat to row through the Northern Islands.  If you are at the moldy caves, you need to move a little bit South into the main part of the river and exit the boat onto the West shore.  If you continue to walk West, you will find a wide passage that opens up into a larger cave.  Walk North in that cave and there will be a wide passage that travels East.  Walk that passage until you turn North.  The screen should say that you have entered the Northern Islands.  At the end of the passage to the North you will run into the empire docks.  Seize a boat from there and row West.  There will be a narrow bit of land to your South.  That narrow bit of land is blocked with a gate that requires you to have the quest "Sneak into Pyrog's Lair" in your quest list to open.  If you have the quest, the gate should open and by continuing South, you will enter the back of Pyrog's lair.

No problem.  There is a set of maps on line http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/22315-avernum-2-crystal-souls-maps/ but there are a lot of spoilers in the maps and so you may not want to use them.  If you get stuck with a location usually some of us on the forums can help you, but it might take a couple of days depending on how often a person who knows the answer is on.