Slith fort (A1)

Hello,

I am in the Slith fort (Swamp) with the Slith eggs in the hatchery. Should I destroy them? (And commit genocide?) Is it part of a mission to anhilate them? Or I can just walk away?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally written by Mortimer:
Unfortunately you dont have 'Grab the eggs and take them to Gnass to be bought up with good old fashioned Slith values' option.
A good quest, by the way. Makes sense in adventuring. But that time Gnass is really a poor village. So bringing there more sliths will make it a hard day. A foundation of a kindergarten at some place, where foundlings of all the nations will be brought and taught to behave together is a good deed! smile

The obvious solution is to slaughter the inhabitants of the fort and then relocate the sliths of Gnass so they can care for the eggs and young. Such relocation can take place by force if necessary.

—Alorael, who wouldn't want to impede a grand tradition of stomping on natives, especially natives who don't look like the invading race. Sliths don't look much like humans.

Originally by Thuryl:

Quote:
Plus, we don't actually know if Slith eggs can survive extended lengths of time out of water.
Isn't it odd that sliths are supposed to be reptiles, yet they lay eggs in water?

Dikiyoba recalls very young sliths having gills, as well. Perhaps it is mentioned in Gnass in A2.

Sliths are obviously from an evolutionary branch that diverged reptiles after the development of scales but before the amniotic egg. I'm not sure development came in that order (in fact, I'm pretty sure it didn't), but between bending rules to make an evolutionary history for an imaginary species on an imaginary planet and following Earth's phylogenetic order, I think we all know which wins.

—Alorael, who is willing to concede that the sliths may have evolved "backwards" into having non-amniotic eggs and gill-bearing young. Why? Because the Creator wanted to have a scene in which a band of adventurers slaughtered slith young in a wet environment. Teleological but plausible, isn't it?

Just to make a parallel, if it is possible, there is a lizrad like people in Terry Brooks Shannara series. Depicted very much alike Slithzerikai in Avernum/Exile series. The same way of breeding - if I remember that well enough. All the nation of mwellrets (lizard men) is presented as evil, with inborn ability to hypnotize. But that is all offtopic, except for that they were created by magic. The whole nation.

This is somehow in close relations with Drakefyre's vahnatai creationism theory and Aran's novel "Crystal Song" smile

P.S. I'm not sure whether I should have placed a tm, or copyright after the name of the novel. Anyway, it is worth reading smile

Edit: Put in some valuable refinement

Quote:
Originally written by Ford Prefect:
Just to make a parallel, if it is possible, there is a lizrad like people in Terry Brooks Shannara series. Depicted very much alike Slithzerikai in Avernum/Exile series. The same way of breeding - if I remember that well enough. All the nation of mwellrets (lizard men) is presented as evil, with inborn ability to hypnotize. But that is all offtopic, except for that they were created by magic. The whole nation.
This is somehow in close relations with Aran's novel Crystal Song with its vahnatai creationism theory smile

P.S. I'm not sure whether I should have placed a tm, or copyright after the name of the novel. Anyway, it is worth reading smile
That is from The Wishsong of Shannara, which is arguably the worst book of the original trilogy, with the first book being good (although a blatant Tolkien ripoff), and the second book, The Elfstones of Shannarabeing the best book Brooks has ever written. Anything after First King of Shannara is pure excrement.

Quote:
Originally written by Tyranicelt:
That is from The Wishsong of Shannara, which is arguably the worst book of the original trilogy, with the first book being good (although a blatant Tolkien ripoff), and the second book, The Elfstones of Shannarabeing the best book Brooks has ever written. Anything after First King of Shannara is pure excrement.
Well, I was not going to discuss TB books here, still, the thing I was talking about - creation of lizrad men by magic for some strange purposes - hasn't been written in any book of TB yet. It is just from his plans of uniting two of his storylines into one - from interview with him and from his official website. So what are you talking about? The Wishsong definitely not his best creation, but that was not what I was trying to tell. After the "First King" there came out a trilogy of "Voyage of 'Jerle Shannara'", which was rather interesting, and mwellrets playing a big role in third book of it. His latest trilogy of "High Druid" is still unaccessible in Russia, so I can't say anything good, or bad about its content.

Edit: TYPO