Just finished game one. Post-game questions.

-POTENTIAL SPOILERS ALERT-

That was fun. I'm looking forward to part two. But first... I tried not to miss anything, but clearly I missed a little, and I'm looking for some help. No spoilers or hints,  just a yes or a no to my questions. I kept notes whenever I wanted to get back to something in the game. These are the things I never figured out by the time I finished:

I was told to find a man named Miles near Ft Duvno about potions with mandrake. I found a Miles in Formello with potions, but nothing regarding mandrake. Was there another Miles somewhere?

I was told to find a woman named Elizabeth near Silvar to let her know a man named Matthias was waiting for her in Ft Emerald. I didn't find her, but I did end up killing a witch with a few goblins digging a tunnel just south of Silvar. Was that her?

At the Ancient Crypt, where two adventurers were camped trying to figure out a way to open the door, one of those adventurers, Yong-Mi, said she wanted some special arrows, and she had a recipe for poison she wouldn't give me. I tried bringing her those arrows, but nothing changed. Was there a way to trade the arrows to her for her poison recipe?

I found the two bodies hidden within the wall in Cotra, and spoke to a suspicious assassin character there in the tavern. I also informed the mayor about the bodies, but nothing changed. Was there a way to solve that mystery?

I found the strange cave near Erika's tower where the ancient race is buried and waits to return, with the force barriers that regenerate and prevent you from trying to pass deeper into the cave. I figured if I had some of the blue crystals with me (with their spirits inside?), I might be able to pass, but nope. Was it possible to get further into that cave?

There's a dark alter in the demon Grah-Hoth's former fortress, Akhronath. Destroying it has a very bad effect with no obvious reward as with other dark alters you destroy in the game. Was it important in any other way?

One of the big slith fortresses had a temple with an alter that could not be approached. Wind blew me back every time I tried to get closer. Could I get to it somehow?

One of the attendants of the dragon Motrax named his cats after words he heard the dragon speaking, epsilon and delta. Those sound like passwords to something, but nothing I found. Were they important?

In the dragon Khoth's fortress, there's a circular path of runes on the floor of one library. You cannot walk to the center of the path without being forced back. I tried walking the entire path from the far end to the center, crossing every rune one at a time, but that didn't help. Was there any way to get to the center? There were also two frozen creatures in another of Khoth's libraries. Was there a way to free/speak to them?

Thanks for your time and comments!

2 hours ago, TheFerventPeasant said:

I found the two bodies hidden within the wall in Cotra, and spoke to a suspicious assassin character there in the tavern. I also informed the mayor about the bodies, but nothing changed. Was there a way to solve that mystery?

I found the strange cave near Erika's tower where the ancient race is buried and waits to return, with the force barriers that regenerate and prevent you from trying to pass deeper into the cave. I figured if I had some of the blue crystals with me (with their spirits inside?), I might be able to pass, but nope. Was it possible to get further into that cave?

One of the attendants of the dragon Motrax named his cats after words he heard the dragon speaking, epsilon and delta. Those sound like passwords to something, but nothing I found. Were they important?

It has been years since I played this version so I've forgotten what the answers were to the other questions.

The Cotra bodies you can sort of figure out what happened, but you don't change things.

The cave near Erika's Tower is revisited in Avernum 2. It was foreshadowing before finding out there would be a second game.

The cats are just there for fun.

Enjoy the games. Some things are there for fun and others are there to teach you not to poke at everything. :)

I'm new to these forums, but I just beat Avernum 1 for the third time yesterday, so several of these answers are fresh in my mind. Here are the ones I know:

On 4/1/2020 at 5:02 PM, TheFerventPeasant said:

I was told to find a woman named Elizabeth near Silvar to let her know a man named Matthias was waiting for her in Ft Emerald. I didn't find her, but I did end up killing a witch with a few goblins digging a tunnel just south of Silvar. Was that her?

Elizabeth is actually in Cotra, rather than Silvar, despite Matthias's hint. She runs the inn there.

There's a dark alter in the demon Grah-Hoth's former fortress, Akhronath. Destroying it has a very bad effect with no obvious reward as with other dark alters you destroy in the game. Was it important in any other way?

If you interact with the altar rather than destroying it, it will set your characters' spell points to 99, or totally refill them if their spell point max is less than 99.

One of the big slith fortresses had a temple with an alter that could not be approached. Wind blew me back every time I tried to get closer. Could I get to it somehow?

I believe that if one of your party members has a sufficiently high Priest Spells skill, you can get past the altar.

Just a funny reference to the delta-epsilon definition of limits. I always took it to mean that, in the world of Avernum, Motrax invented calculus 😄