Avernum on macOS Catalina?

Shoshin73

I have purchased several Spiderweb games through both Steam and GOG.  The Geneforge Games no longer run due to them being 32 bit and I am not able to get Avernum to run.  I am able to play Avadon, though.

I have tried to control-click to open Avernum, but it crashes on start.  I have also manually allowed full disk access to Avernum. 

Any suggestions?

Check your version number compared to the one on the Avernum Support page. The latest version is supposed to be for 64 bit. You may be able to download from here and run the demo with your current preference file.

Edit - Did you mean Original Avernum or Remake Avernum (which work on Catalina)?

This is why I still keep older computers on old operating systems. Some times I want to play old games that can't run on new operating systems. I still have a Pentium 1 computer from the 1990s.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your remaining sanity at the door. You may want it back someday.  :)

On 3/26/2020 at 11:32 PM, Randomizer said:

Edit - Did you mean Original Avernum or Remake Avernum (which work on Catalina)?

[...]

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your remaining sanity at the door. You may want it back someday.  :)

That's Avernum version 2.0.0.19 downloaded from GOG.com.  Also, tried downloading the Geneforge demo from the Spiderweb site and that also looks like it's only 32 bit.

The Avernum demo from the Spiderweb site works on Catalina.

Also, sanity is over-rated. ;)

From the version numbers I suspect you have "Avernum the complete saga", which are the original Avernums that won't run on Catalina.

If you must run Catalina (some app or your mac needs it or you have no backup) and you have a lot of 32-bit GOG apps you could consider something like Crossover to run the 32-bit Windows versions in a bottle. It's an expensive solution, and often tricky (or for some apps impossible) to get running, but depending on how many old apps you have it could be worth it.

Edit: They do have a demo version, so you can try it out for a short time to see if the apps you need can run.

Edited by darint
Forgot to mention the demo

On 3/29/2020 at 11:29 AM, Unbound Servile said:

What does run Catalina?
Long live Mac OS Cataclysm.

Ouch, but not wrong lol. :D

On 3/29/2020 at 9:31 AM, darint said:

If you must run Catalina (some app or your mac needs it or you have no backup) and you have a lot of 32-bit GOG apps you could consider something like Crossover to run the 32-bit Windows versions in a bottle. It's an expensive solution, and often tricky (or for some apps impossible) to get running, but depending on how many old apps you have it could be worth it.

Good recommendation, but I found something that I consider even better:  Dual boot Mojave/Catalina from one APFS disk!  I was a chicken and used a bootable USB stick that I put Mojave on, rather than going straight in with the native Recovery Mode.  I now have a second boot option when I restart my computer, and have successfully run Avernum.  

Sadly, it seems that Spiderweb pulled the Mac version of the Geneforge Saga off of Steam, so I can't reinstall it.  Grrr....

5 hours ago, gvantass@gmail.com said:

Ouch, but not wrong lol. :D

Good recommendation, but I found something that I consider even better:  Dual boot Mojave/Catalina from one APFS disk!  I was a chicken and used a bootable USB stick that I put Mojave on, rather than going straight in with the native Recovery Mode.  I now have a second boot option when I restart my computer, and have successfully run Avernum.  

Sadly, it seems that Spiderweb pulled the Mac version of the Geneforge Saga off of Steam, so I can't reinstall it.  Grrr....

Great tip! Will definitely consider it if I ever decide I need to up(?)grade from Mojave.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:05 PM, gvantass@gmail.com said:

Good recommendation, but I found something that I consider even better:  Dual boot Mojave/Catalina from one APFS disk!

One tip: do not format your harddisk in APFS; you're going to have issues with older programs. Choose HFS+ (MacOS Extended (Journaled)) instead.

• 3 months later...

The original Avernum trilogy should still work fine on Mac - I've just been playing them on the latest version of Catalina (I bought them from Steam).

The second Avernum trilogy no longer work on Mac and I'm trying to get them to work via Parallels. Avernum 6 works, but 4 and 5 so far don't.

• 2 years later...

I'm on MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina, I can't run BoA anymore. I vaguely recall being able to do it previously by creating a HFS+ Mount. But that doesn't seem to be working anymore. Whenever I try to open it on the mount where it previously worked it now gives me the message "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information.".

I even tried creating an entire partition in HFS+ but that still wont work. It refuses to open.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to play BoA on 10.15.+? (And tell us your secrets!)