G4, I *was* having a great time. Edit: I had a great time

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but the game has just been frustration and annoyance today. I made it to the fens and ran in to a few things.

The golem swamp first. Running into the golem most likely means me or one of my creations will die. I can't do enough damage to feasibly kill it. Fair enough, maybe I'll just come back later.

Then there are the fen zones with seemingly unending rogues. That is one of the thing I really don't like; endless spawning enemies. It is just frustrating to me.

Up until this point it has been a great game. I really felt like I was a part of the world. Deciding who to help can really be tough. I know one choice I made actually made me a bit sick after doing it. Again, maybe I'm just in a bad mood today.

Edited by Chopkinsca

There can be several zones that are frustrating unless you go through them certain ways. Endless spawners are some of the worst until you destroy the spawning site or cross the zone and reach the real spawning site. Basically you can be worn down until you die trying to just fight the creations as they come at you. Although the change to 9 action points in this game makes it easier to cross zones to reach spawners.

Geneforge more than any other series has bad ethical choices. Trying to do the right thing isn't always possible in order to satisfy a quest giver and your conscience. So don't feel that bad and if you replay the game you can sometimes make a different choice earlier in the game to avoid the bad one later on in the game.

I'm feeling better now, I made a Drayk to replace my weak roamer. I also just ran to the South Grosch ruins and killed a big spawner thing. I keep forgetting that there are more than one way to get things done in this series of games.

I like that I felt bad for some choices I've made. It's a rebellion and the game does a great job of making it feel like a real struggle. 

5 hours ago, Chopkinsca said:

I know one choice I made actually made me a bit sick after doing it. 

So, you betrayed the Rebellion for the $$$$ the Shapers tempted you with, didn't you? After seeing how they treat the Serviles and how their huge creations zapped your fellow boat-arrivals in the first zone. 
I couldn't really do it in GF4. I couldn't join the Shapers. I did what's required in the end to get the lame last-moment-Shaper ending that is not a good ending but in general, I couldn't betray the rebellion deeply. BUT I could find it within me to do minor betrayals of the Rebellion as I did immediately after the Monarch quest. No spoilers. 

This is what i absolutely adore about Geneforge. The choices the game forces you to make feel very real and consequential. You, the player, actually can make an incredible impact to the characters around you and you begin to see that through dialogue the characters give you throughout the game. Very early in the game, at the forsaken shore, you can run into a small group of rebel soldiers. They're clearly in horrible shape, the dialogue states that the rebels are extremely relieved to see you, one even jumping up to shake your hand. If you're playing for the shapers, cutting down these people who just showed you great admiration and respect is heartbreaking. Damn I should play through Geneforge again.

Yes, and join the right side. 
Down with the Shaper Tyranny! Vila la Revolution Rebellion. 

And then, join the humans instead the Drakons. Down with the Drakon wannaby Tyranny! Yes, they are better than the Shapers* but not better enough. 

*As in, they don't seem to give a damn what the lesser races do on their own, they do their thing, they may need to sacrifice a few pawns, but generally, the others can go jump off a cliff as far as the Drakons are concerned. 

On 12/4/2019 at 4:19 PM, alhoon said:

So, you betrayed the Rebellion for the $$$$ the Shapers tempted you with, didn't you?

I can't remember if it was the money that did it, I've gone back to being more on the rebels side now.

I like that choices aren't so black and white in this game. I also like that just because you are given a quest, it doesn't mean you have to do it. 

I'm not sure if anyone would even care about stories of my adventures in this game, but I'll talk about what I've done a bit.

I finally made it to Shaper Monarch and had a lot of trouble getting there and a lot of trouble dealing with him. I ended up looking at a guide twice. The first time I tried to avoid much information, just a few hints. Even then it was quite frustrating, though I was having a bad day anyway. I finally defeated the Shaper though, but my Cryoa from the start of the game ended up dying. It was okay, I made a kyshakk and wow, that health pool. 

The game after killing shaper Monarch has gone back to being great. I found it a bit weird when I killed the Shapers hiding in their bunkers that their creations above ground didn't go rogue. Maybe I'm missing some detail about what happens to a shaper's creations when the shaper dies.

Now I'm in the middle of Quessa-Uss. I feel like I must be getting close to the end game soon.

Calling Monarch a "Shaper" is a great misnomer. Sure, sure, the guys there also call him "Shaper Monarch" but it is as strange as calling Ghaldring a philanthropist. 😛

In the four geneforge games I've played, with many Shapers away from "Shaper dogma" I have never seen someone as removed from Shaper dogma as the Monarch was. The man is completely bonkers. 
"I can create life that suits me. So I will kill everything else that I have not made, by a horde of monsters relying on a stick to protect me." + Self-shaping + Creations that can mass-shape creations + mindless serviles.

I don't think there was a single rule in the book - or a single rule of common sense - that Monarch didn't break. 

I was never fond of the way the Shapers treated Serviles, but the way Monarch Shaped serviles to be practically drones was shocking.  

Edited by alhoon