That ending (spoilers, obviously)

Buzko

Just finished the game.  Really liked the way it respected my time and allowed me to feel like I was making meaningful roleplaying decisions in dialogue.  I also really liked the revelation that, despite the Queen telling us that the dreams were a terrible idea, she had tried them herself.  I love that the name of the game itself is a hint to how she dealt with the Nisse back in the day...

I'm pretty comfortable with the choices I made - I could have avoided more bloodshed in the Owen rebellion if I'd forced them to be merciful, but I felt the Mascha well and truly earned their vengeance.  I think I did just about every quest except the Ahriel ones with the spear and whatsisface Ten-Fingers.  

I'd be interested to know whether any of my decisions had a direct impact on the Queen's health, particularly my killing of the fragment of her spirit (or whatever it was called) in the Tower of the Nisse.  The message when the spirit asked me to kill it said the Nisse were angry, but I was wondering if this was yet another trick, and doing that caused her to look so ill when I returned.  Or does she always look like that?

I'd also be keen for recommendations on which Spiderweb game to check out while I wait for the sequel, bearing in mind that I found the inventory streamlining and free respecs to be big pluses, not minuses.  I don't suppose there are mods that bring those features to the old games?

10 hours ago, Buzko said:

I'd be interested to know whether any of my decisions had a direct impact on the Queen's health ...

Unfortunately, I believe the Queen’s ailment remains the same regardless of your actions. If you’re diligent with checking the portal messages during the game, you’ll see that the Queen becomes noticeably more sickly over the course of the game. It’s hinted at at first, but it becomes more and more obvious the more messages you receive.

The critical point, though, is that I believe the Queen’s illness can appear before you’ve even contacted the Nisse. Sadly, I think this is merely a case of human frailty, rather than an effect of nasty magic.

I'd also be keen for recommendations on which Spiderweb game to check out while I wait for the sequel, bearing in mind that I found the inventory streamlining and free respecs to be big pluses, not minuses.  I don't suppose there are mods that bring those features to the old games?

I’m afraid that there currently aren’t any mods to alter the older games to include the features you’ve mentioned here. However, making mods to include these features should be possible – the behaviour might not be identical to that of Queen’s Wish, but you could get similar sorts of effects.

However, focussing on the ability to respec your character, there is one game series that already includes this feature, at least in part. The ‘Avadon’ series allows you to completely change your characters’ stats, although there’s not quite as much freedom as in Queen’s Wish. Namely, for each game in the series, you can only do so at specific trainers, and these aren't available right away.

If you wanted the behaviour to be more like Queen’s Wish, however, there is a way to do just this. So long as you didn’t mind the approach, there’s a cheat code in the Avadon series that allows your character to retrain at any time, for free. If you restricted yourself to only using this in friendly towns, you’d end up with an experience much like Queen’s Wish. Note that achievements will be disabled when you use the code, but only for the current town – they’ll be activated again when you leave. Again, if you only do this in friendly towns, you shouldn’t miss anything much.

For reference, this cheat code can be activated by opening a dialogue box by pressing ‘shift’ and ‘d’ and typing in ‘retrain’.

If you’re interested, why not give the demo of Avadon 1 a try?

I think I did just about every quest except the Ahriel ones with the spear and whatsisface Ten-Fingers.  

For the record, the quests involving Watcher Ten-Fingers are really very fun, and quite wacky. I’d encourage you to go back and hunt them down. They’re a great part of Queen’s Wish, and worth playing through!

Ah, you found the Carrot Naga. Excellent!

The interesting thing about this quest is that it relates to a series of little mysteries that the player initially can’t interact with. There are several of these in Queen’s Wish, but Watcher Ten-Fingers’s ones are particularly quirky – chances are, once you’ve found the places you’ve missed, the interaction of the stone will make a lot of sense!

To save you from searching around aimlessly, the places you’re currently missing are:

Spoiler

Castle Andesite
Cinnabar Woods

In these places, look for interesting exclamation marks on the map!