Mechanics Questions

So. Somewhat new to Avernum (Put a few hours in here and there... but never stuck with it.) After beating Avadon 1, and Geneforge 1, I've decided to give Avernum EftP a try, and for whatever reason its really gelling with me. Cannot get enough. However.... I feel like certain things could be better explained, or I'm just missing them.

1. Dual Wielding. Ambidextrous, and Dual Blade Mastery all refer to dual wielding. What isn't covered is the dual wielding penalty without these skills, or just my basic to hit chance. I'm taking them all to be safe, but it would be nice to know what the base penalty is and what my current to hit is with blademaster and things like that. Am I missing a screen?

2. SwordMage. Again... I don't see any spell penalties for wearing armor. Other than say a -5% to hit. Which would effect fireballs but not say...haste.... 

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

I looked back at the topics in the Strategy Central because it has been years since I played this game:

1. It is listed as a -19% penalty to hit when you use two weapons in Dual Wielding.  I remember in some games that there is also a damage penalty. There should be more information in moving the cursor over ability and trait descriptions on the bonus and penalty for each. The idea is early in the game, the to hit penalties make sword and shield a better choice until you are hitting all the time from level and weapon abilities. By the middle game you want to deal more damage and have enough other armor items not to need a shield.

2. SwordMage is important early in the game since when the to hit penalty from bulky armor exceeds 20% you can't cast mage spells in combat. Later in the game there are plenty of great armor items with no penalties that are meant for mages. You don't need it if you pay attention to armor items and can wait.

Some of these things are mentions in topics but may be buried in the discussions.

For sword mage, in general terms, the stronger the armor, the higher the to hit penalty that the armor imposes.  For fighter type characters you just deal with it and as they build up their weapons skills it becomes irrelevant.  For mage spells if the total of your armor's to hit penalties is greater than 20%, you cannot cast the mage spells at all.  SwordMage raises the maximum by 5% per level of SwordMage.  So with one level you can have armor with a total of 25% of to hit penalties.  With two levels, 30%.

• 6 months later...
On 11/9/2019 at 11:17 AM, Edgwyn said:

For mage spells if the total of your armor's to hit penalties is greater than 20%, you cannot cast the mage spells at all.  SwordMage raises the maximum by 5% per level of SwordMage.  So with one level you can have armor with a total of 25% of to hit penalties.  With two levels, 30%.

I don't think those figures are correct, at least for AEftP.  I have run into problems with any penalty greater than -5%.  I was relying on this thread and got very confused until I checked the in-game help. 

Note that the total is "net" of any bonuses to hit, so if you equip a +5% to hit bow, you will be able to wear armour totalling -10% before being told you can't cast mage spells.  I haven't tested how it reacts to increments of less than 5%.

Buzko is correct.  You can only wear up to -5% without any levels in Swordmage.

Also, it's not the "net" of ANY bonuses to hit.  It's the net of all bonuses and penalties to hit on equipment.  I don't think anything else counts.

From my old analysis:

* Swordmage (x4) (needs level 6)
Needed if you want to use heavily encumbering armor on your mage. Too bad there
isn't really a good reason to do that in the first place. You can wear -5%
without this skill, and special hit chance bonuses from equipment counteracts
the penalty, so a +5% bow (of which there are many) will allow you to wear a
base of -10%. The negative hit chance greaves, gauntlets, boots, and helmets
aren't terribly useful for a rear position mage anyway, and there is even one
chest armor that provides 34% protection without encumberance (Runed Plate).
There are some terrific shields without any hit penalty. -10% is enough for the
Mercuric Leather + Quicksilver Bulwark, or the Mercuric Chain + Quicksilver
Sandals. So you can even outfit 2 mages in AP+ gear without this. The other
encumbering armors are a trade-off anyway since you miss out of the bonuses
from the Robe of the Magi. Unless you are a singleton, this trait is
unnecessary (and maybe even then).