Trapped in Sacramentum forever?

madrigan

I'm on my second playthru and this time I wanted to get all the best gear early, so I really emphasized building shops. Now I have re-vassalized all three nations, killed the Nisse, and completed almost every quest in the game but I don't have the resources to build the portal home. I also want to upgrade all the forts, but I don't have enough materials to do that either. I am a couple of resources short every month. I have plenty of cash, but I am perpetually low on iron and/or stone even though I have the Ukat and the Vol working at full capacity. Is it actually possible to mismanage resources so badly that the endgame becomes impossible?

It's possible, but you may have missed somethings. You will definitely have less iron produced than you need for upkeep if you build all the shops and portal home. You should be okay on stone unless you are not getting enough from theft due to unrest in the Vol.

However there are merchants that will sell resources and especially iron that you can use. Also the second Utak fort has a quartermaster that will convert the other three resources into iron. Try going through this list of resources to see if you missed locating a cache or merchant and then just after the resource report you can go around and buy more. The Smoky Peaks has a chest with enough iron if you haven't already got it.

2 hours ago, madrigan said:

Is it actually possible to mismanage resources so badly that the endgame becomes impossible?

Not at all!

To add to the ideas Randomizer posted, don't forget that you have the ability to remove shops from forts. You can do this by going into the shop placement window (via the Place Buildings and Shops button), selecting the shop you want to remove, and pressing the little button marked with an 'x'. You'll still be charged for the shop during the current round of upkeep, but after that, you'll no longer spend any resources on it.

If you want to build up a set of resources quickly, simply remove a whole bunch of shops from your forts. Then, make time pass quickly by teleporting around the map, say from one end of Sacramentum to the other and back again. You'll build up a cache of resources in no time! Once you've built the portal, you can then place your shops back in your forts again – you've already paid for their construction once, so you don't need to do so a second time.