Your First Region (Probably Spoilers)

Shaper_Mario

Whch region of Sacramentum did you visit first?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Whch region of Sacramentum did you visit first?

• Ukat
    • The Vol
    • Ahriel Woods

It feels like the first region that you choose to visit is one of the most important choices in the game for mechanical reasons. Since each gives you a different resource and type of PC, building your first fort in Ukat makes for a very different early-to-mid game compared to building in the Vol or the Ahriel Woods. I was wondering which areas everyone built their first fort at from a strategy perspective.

In my playthroughs I alternated between Ukat and Vol as my first regions. Ukat gives you Iron, the rarest resource, but Ukat PC abilities aren't as generically useful as Tower of Might for Vol and you need a lot of Stone for construction and making money with Mills, Bakeries and Distilleries. Plus, Vicious Strikes is a complete dud in areas with nothing but Undead or bleeding immune enemies. I haven't built my first fort in the Ahriel ever, so I don't know what it would be like other than the start being harder than the other two regions. Being able to build an apothecary in each of the first regional forts sounds like a great way to rush useful potions, though, and Mindsteal is a great crowd control ability against most humanoid enemies.

Does anyone have thoughts on this topic?

My first play through I went into the Vol first and regretted it as I quickly ran out of iron for building and endured days where my money went straight to paying for missing iron resources. After that in all other play throughs I went into the Utak first to get some iron from at least rebuilding Fort Muck and maybe reclaiming a mine. 

Even on torment it makes sense to rebuild Fort Muck first and then do the Vol Gates and start Taking Root in the Vol quests to gain some experience.

Going into the Ahriel first gives you the hardest border fight zone and not as many resources that you can use for building.

My first and second playthroughs I went to the Ukat first (1st only because I happen to be in that side of the map, 2nd because I knew I needed iron).  On the third I went to the Vol because I knew I needed to play things differently for testing purposes. 

For personal playing (as oppose to testing) I go to the Ukat to get the Ft and a mine or two producing iron.  Then off to the Vol for stone for buildings. After getting a couple of quarries producing I 'might' head over to open the woods or (50-50) go back and get another mine or two producing.  Iron is so important to maintaining the 'must have' fort shops/improvements.

I started with Ukat, but as soon as I had cleared the first few quests to open up more mines for Fort Muck, I went to Vohl and then Ahriel and repeated the process in order to have at least one fort in each region, which has been a real boost to my resources, allowing me to upgrade all four forts under my control to stone forts, and giving me access to party members from all regions. However, I have only actually contacted the Ukat, I simply bypassed the cities in the other two regions and went straight to the fort.

Guess just about everyone figured out early that iron was the key resource. Yeah, I started Ukat first for the iron, then Vol for the stone, then Ahriel when I felt like. It makes the most sense to just build the first 3 forts before trying to capture extra mines and then upgrading them ASAP for early resource production. You can even get the second Vol fort without having to fight through anything extra to get there, so that's 5/7 forts in a couple of real time hours once you're ready to leave the starting area.

Same as everyone else, I went to the Ukat first. Not for any real reason. The names at that point in te game had zero meaning for me. But I ended up finishing the haven bandit quest line and that left me in that end of the map. I'm sort of a completionist in the sense that I like to commit to a region. I've had to force myself to move out to the Vol now before taking over the Gannelspan. It feels like the right way to play the game and having more than 2 forts is probably useful.

My little party chose The Vol because of the political situation. The fate of the Owen felt more preoccupying and needed to be settled as soon as possible. They ran out of iron very fast but the situation slightly improved, not much but it's a beginning. Rebuilding the forts is somehow stalled but they have good hope. :)

Edited by ladyonthemoon

I went with the Vol because the plot given to me by the sage in Fort Haven suggested that was where we were supposed to go first.  So I did.

I have a feeling that the game was made with intent in mind.  If your priority is plot, and figuring out what caused the Calamity, you go to the Vol first.  If your priority is rebuilding your forts, the Ukat should be first for the iron.  And if your priority is getting out of the place and going back home, then the Ahriel is first (For the quicksilver).

Edited by Chessrook44

It's really interesting to hear how everyone is playing the game. How much of a region does everyone explore before moving on? For example, I usually explore Ukat until I get to Gannelspan and move on from The Vol after getting passage through the Thablen Gates. I always like to make it to Medici in the Ahriel woods before I move on so that I can take on the Watcher's quest and finish it as soon as possible, and I can't imagine doing that before exploring the other two regions a bit.

The problem with beta testing is you get used to only going into areas that were available for testing. So after the Haven Lands, I go into the Utak unto Gannelspan, then the Vol unto Thablen Gates even though there is no combat to stop until after rebuilding Crossroads Keep, and then the Ahriel up to Pickett's Brake. Then its back to the Utak to rebuild the second fort and maybe clear a few mines there before doing the easy parts of the Vol, finish off the Utak, and finally do the rest of the Ahriel.

This leaves deciding who to support so I have very little to redo to look at other choices. Depending upon who you want to pick you can see all the choices with two play throughs with variations on how much you want to crush the other faction in each vassal land. After that there are only the six zones left in the end game. Then the final variations are what you want to do about the enemy and if you take a deal.

• 1 year later...

I did the southern part of Ukat first with rebuilding forts in mind as my priority; I wanted to have enough supplies before I venture out further into the story. So I did the fort and I did quests, for the safety of the area and for the mines. Then I went to Vol and rebuilt my 2nd fort, also did quests for supplies and safety. Then went to Ahriel to do the same thing for the 3rd fort. I didn't build the shops yet, to let the supplies accumulate. I was able to manage with my items I buy and gather from the quests and strategy in fighting the enemies. Also, I recruited one class from each region to my team since I was curious about their special abilities, I esp love the charm spell.

Then I went back to Ukat and Vol to rebuild the other forts, I don't think I did many quests for this 2nd round of forts, I just wanted to rebuild them ASAP. Ahriel was my least priority since I have a lots of quicksilver.  After rebuilding the last Ahriel fort, I started my shops. :z Idk, it worked for me lol I had enough for the shops. I buy shops when I have the supplies but not place them yet. I placed them after I upgraded the forts and their defenses. Then I just had fun in the story and remaining quests. When I had enough gold I removed some of my mills to lessen my upkeep. 

10 hours ago, Mechalibur said:

Yeah, it definitely seems like rushing the 3 forts is a good idea - that's what I did on my latest playthrough on Torment. The only tricky part is that you need to clear the Ahriel Thicket to get to the Ahriel lands - it was the 2nd hardest dungeon in the entire game for me. 

It's my first playthrough but it's only on Normal difficulty.  My hardest fight so far is the dragon (? can't remember if it was a dragon) guarding the Nisse area at Ukat. I've pretty much done the quests with only choosing sides on all 3 regions left and also did their quest requirements. Except the Thablen Pass T_T I really don't want to slaughter those people. I wish there was another way. But it seems like there isn't.