Incorporating Walkthroughs in Scenarios

Callie

I've inquired of various subjects earlier this year, but this time around I actually plan to create a scenario. I hope it will be included in the scenario contest, but procrastination might get the better of me.

The majority of members here prefer not to be spoon fed. However, many individuals often rely on help, and I've conjured a new idea about answering questions. The concept is that a character ability activates a tome or orb that summons a help menu. Stuff done flags will decide what the player may need aid with and a list of questions are viewed. Upon selecting one, a walk through will appear concerning that obstacle.

My question is: What is your opinion concerning this?

Huh. I was actually making something like that for my scenario. It's a Task list, which acts as a continuation of the Quest list. Basically, it displays your current main plot-related quest, and provides pointers on your current situation and what needs to be done next.

I'd say leave the walkthrough to the README, since that'd likely prove to be a strong temptation, and a player is less likely to look at it when they get briefly stuck if it involves minimizing the game, breaking out the word processor (or in a few cases, browser), and hunting down the walkthrough. If it's right there at their fingertips, they may end up using that when they get even mildly stuck. And that'll remove the sense of accomplishment a player would feel after overcoming a challenging obstacle by themselves. I'd say just have it drop a hint or make the player look at it from another perspective.

But that's just my unusually long-winded two cents, so do with that as you will.

I'll echo Nioca for the second time today. I think Readmes are a little bit better than in-game walkthrough, just because to a player opening up the readme to get past a task feels like a last resort, while using a hint ability that's right at your fingertips just feels like any other part of the scenario, like getting hints from NPCs.

For some reason the cheater stick popped into my head when I read this. I'm kind of torn on whether giving the player that much power to skip difficult parts is a good thing or not.