Battles are skipped if you die?

jag

I've been playing on hard and getting my butt kicked a fair amount. I've noticed that after dying in some battles, the battle no longer triggers if I go back to the same place. It doesn't seem to happen always. Two examples are:

• Spoiler

The battle outside the tinker's tower

• Spoiler

The battle in the first building when entering the Ahriel woods.

Is this intended? It feels kinda bad to lose and then be rewarded for it (since I'm not even missing out on XP).

Outside battles are one time events like the first one you mentioned.

In some zones you only need to fight a battle once like that one which is the hardest in the zone.

If you play the places over enough you see where insides tows/dungeons/woods zones that while most monsters will reappear, Jeff gives players a break and doesn't make you fight them all again.

For instance you don't fight the mirelings a second time in Mugret's Mines, but the lizards and bandits are there until you clear the boss out.

If I died in a battle so I appear at the portal, then I go back to an earlier save and redo the battle. 

If a party member survives even if you don't then the game treats it as reviving you at a fort just like any other party member. As long as a party member is alive to finish the fight, the game doesn't care which one it is.

jag is making a possibly important observation here.

If you engage in the battle to save the tinker, and you die and lose that battle, it makes little sense that the tinker survives and treats you as if you had won it.

This is a new opportunity for bugs - I don't think it's been possible to survive party death in ANY previous SW game, has it?

Reloading is an option, but it would be better if the just reverted, the same way as the dungeons do. My reasoning is:

1. That's how the game advertises itself as behaving and
  2. If you reload, you might lose progress since the last auto-save, whereas relying on the game's magic protection mechanic, you don't have to worry about that.

Just some thoughts. It's not a big deal, but it is a small one.