Questions and stumbling blocks for me

txmimi

I'm about halfway through my first playthrough on casual, trying to get a feel for the game and the storyline.  I'm finding it a very complex and challenging game, which is a good thing!  :-) 

1. Other than the reports than come through, how do I know how many resources I have. . . like stone, wood, etc.  I've read Randomizer's advice post, and he talks about a cap of 50 of these items, but I don't know where to look to see how many I have.  It would help me know what I need to get more of, too.

2. I wish there were a way to see all my characters at one time on the screen while in a fort.  It would make it so much easier to share equipment and consumables.

3. I haven't figured out how to take one of the main character's potion bottles and give it to another character, except during battle.  This means some characters start a battle with no potion bottles.  I also don't know how to make sure every character has at least one potion bottle.

4. Why doesn't the main guy's potion bottle fill up automatically when I go talk to the apothecary guy in the fort when I get there?

Thanks so much!

1. You can see how many you have in the bottom left when opening a character's skill page.

2. The other characters aren't on the map, but you should still be able to open and move around their inventory/gear.

3. Click on an item in your inventory (it will start moving up and down) then click on a party member's portrait on the left. It should move the item to that character's inventory, provided they have the space for it.

4. It should fill up automatically whenever you enter the fort in the first place.

1 hour ago, txmimi said:

2. I wish there were a way to see all my characters at one time on the screen while in a fort.  It would make it so much easier to share equipment and consumables.

You know, this is a really good suggestion.

It didn't used to be possible.  But now that the inventory screen is a bit smaller, and standard resolution is bigger than it was 10 years ago, this could totally happen.  Wouldn't need to be the default view, but being able to click and get this would be great.  Especially since the new tablet-oriented item moving system makes it easy to get confused.

EDIT: Only half facetiously...

Image result for ff1 nes armor

Grimm, I have exactly the same problem! 

Mechalibur, the main problem is that when I click on a potion, attempting to give it to someone else,  it jumps onto my character, and it's gone. 

And I know I can move stuff around among characters, but I forget who has what and who needs what. . . the Avernum and Avadon games let you see all the characters when changing gear inside the HQ. . . that's what I miss. 

And the potion bottles in my game just don't always automatically fill up. . .

Thanks for the tip about finding out how much of each resource I have!

TriRodent, I'll try using the number of the character to get the potion. . .maybe that'll keep me from drinking it myself. 

1 hour ago, Grimm said:

One thing I'd like is the ability to see what you've built where. I build things as I need them or as I can afford them, and towards the end have no idea which of my 7 forts is the one missing the smithy. 

If you’re in a fort you can click in the “Buy Buildings and Shops” button. In the dialog box, if you hover the mouse over the name of a building you’ll get a popup with information about the building. Near the bottom of that popup it tells you whether the current fort has one.

Of course, that still means that you have to wander from fort to fort to find the one you’re after.

1 hour ago, Grimm said:

One thing I'd like is the ability to see what you've built where.

This has been made much easier in the 1.0.1 update!

Take a look at your map, and hover your mouse over each fort. The buildings you've placed in each one are now shown in a list underneath the fort name.

20 minutes ago, txmimi said:

Mechalibur, the main problem is that when I click on a potion, attempting to give it to someone else,  it jumps onto my character, and it's gone. 

This is just a hunch, but are you trying to switch potions using the 'Use item' button? The only way you can move potions around is directly from the inventory screen. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting this!

Great to hear the 1.0.1 update (which I still haven't installed) allows you to see the buildings in each fort from the map - very useful!

Still and as also discussed above, making inventory switching among party members more convenient would be a huge plus. Maybe Jeff can license that fancy tech from Final Fantasy NES? 😁

You really shouldn't be drinking potions while trying to move them around.  Like Ess-Eschas asked, are you trying to move them from the 'use' screen?

If you do manage to drink one accidentally, step outside the fort, step back in, and then finally step back out to go back into the big bad world to make it safe for democracy (well...feudal oversight anyway) and cheap happy hour drink pricing...

5 hours ago, Queen's Vlish said:

If Jeff would like to port Queen's Wish to 6502 I'd be happy to hack it in.

...I have a new dream.

I'm thinking Jeff goes extremely retro and makes a Rogue like games cutting his graphics costs down and having more time for writing. :)

I think you've nailed the problem of sharing potions!  I am trying to move it from the use item button at the bottom of the screen.  Duh. . . thanks!!  And thanks for the update that lets us see what buildings the fort has now. . .no more wandering from building to building and forgetting what you last looked at. . . 🙂