Getting started on torment

quasius

I started a new game on torment.  (I played nearly all of Avadon 3 and the second half of Avernum 3: RW on torment.)

The first area (the bandits at the dock) went about as I expect- I had to think carefully about my moves and felt like I could easily lose if I did something stupid, but I didn't have to try the encounter over and over.  But after that, everywhere I go seems above what I can handle.  Is there a specific second area I should be going to?  Is there some obvious tactic I'm missing?  (Like how Daze was essential for survival at low levels in A3.)

Just check in with Chief Miranda for ideas. Kelleran, Tainly Mines, and Serpent Quarry are the next level up in difficulty. Also you can wander around and locate the 6 survey markers for the Sage.

Edit - Next areas are Mugret's Mine, O'Niell Manse, and if you feel lucky the Barb's Bastion (can come back later).

Then the Mirefangs, Gellum Ruins, Nacala, restore Fort Muck, Clive Foundry, hunt down the drake, Shadow Mine (level 9), Seven Oaks Mine, Misty Maze to finish the Utak for now. The Vol Gates, Mirba and Vitasa, restore Fort Westcay, Blast Pits, Flint Pit, Warma Bowl, Refuge of Stone, clear the nearby caches, Smoky Peaks, Scorpion Pit, Castle Andesite, and Realm of Thar'shyss. On to the Ahriel Thicket, Slivern, Cinnabar Woods, restore Fort, Bramblespire, Refuge of Woods, Sandalwood, keep going north ....

This will get you up to level 14 to 15 and able to finish the other areas. Murkhala works best at level 18 or 19 so you can do it in one pass for loot and then return when the buildings have different items.

Turns out the answer to this question was my question here:  http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/25058-you-decide-not-to-build-because-you-might-need-the-resources-for-something-else/

(I had to ask Miranda "Are you finally done giving me advice?" to advance the game.)  So I was trying to figure out what to do without the quest markers from Miranda and with a substantially weaker party from not being able to build any new shops.

I'm playing the game on Torment (I've been playing Spiderweb games since Nethergate, so that helps with keeping the F4s down), and I would recommend equipping all of your characters with ranged weapons like bows or staves. That way you can engage your enemies at a distance, and keep walking 4 steps away every turn as long as you can and down as many of them as possible before they close in on you. Naturally, if the enemy has ranged weapons or spells, you will have to adapt your tactics,  but this trick helped me get as far as the Barbs and Fort Muck with only what equipment I started with or found in chests.

On 9/20/2019 at 1:39 PM, Simulated Knave said:

...Are you sure figuring out the game for the first time will combine well with Torment difficulty? 

I mean, I've done it before.  Basically I'm looking for an experience where I really have to think about all the tools available to me to figure out how to succeed.  But I'm not looking to reload constantly trying to "get lucky."  So I play at whatever difficulty provides that experience at whatever part of whatever game.

(In Avernum3, it became apparent I would need to get lucky to even beat the first "tutorial" spider.  So I switched back to hard for a bit.)

Edited by quasius

Queen's Wish is less about getting lucky and more about not rushing into an area above your level and figuring out good tactics to make it through fights. You can't just use one method to get through everything and some scripted fights are designed to make you find new ways to win.

Of course you can get killed by Sutter's spider if you get unlucky. :)