Odd narration text. Possible error? [spoilers for Conlin's Pit]

Pig Catapult

I've just reached the bottom of Conlin's Pit and the narration is as follows, emphasis mine:

You have finally reached the bottom of the pit. Something is waiting for you. It's a strange creature. It's shaped like an orb, four feet in diameter. Some innate magic keeps it floating above the ground.

<copyright-friendly description of a not-beholder redacted for brevity>
You got a fair number of lessons regarding the strange fauna of the surface world, but you never heard of anything like this. All of the thing's eyes focus on you, and it gives you a broad, toothy grin.

I'm pretty sure this is a case of authorial muscle memory from decades of writing for the Avernum setting. (Edit: Unless he's trying to contrast the fact that this creature lives underground?)

Edited by Pig Catapult

6 hours ago, Pig Catapult said:

" You got a fair number of lessons regarding the strange fauna of the surface world, but you never heard of anything like this. ..." I'm pretty sure this is a case of authorial muscle memory from decades of writing for the Avernum setting. ...

It could be. I was playing yesterday and I remember feeling like I was back to Avernum... I several times forced myself to think that this was the surface world not some underground cave.

5 hours ago, Spidweb said:

The text is odd, but intentional. Haven does encounter subterranean races from time to time, with their own denizens. As you might find yourself in time ...

Eeeeeee I'm hyped to find out more about this setting. The deep masters and geographically-localized magic like the big haunting really intrigue me.