Start demo/game, press "save" button bottom right, crashes to desktop

SearingTouch

I can't progress. It dies when it tries to autosave? or I try to manually save and click on the button in the bottom right. How to fix? I tried the SDL2 thing or whatever it was called, but don't have any other ideas. 9700k and RTX 2080, Windows 10.

Yeap, F3 causes it to crash also.

Edited by SearingTouch

Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. When I try to save the game it only works in the first 2-3 minutes of running the application,  after that it will crash when I go to the menu, the game quick saves, auto saves or if I manually save.

It almost sounds like a memory leak of some sorts, but it's not, the game uses less than 100MB RAM and it never exceeds that initial amount. It could be tied to permissions and the fact that the save files are dumped into a new ''Documents'' folder on a drive that doesn't contain my operating system (i.e. it does not actually use the documents folder in the C drive but creates another one.) However, I've given myself ownership of the folder and I cannot change the save location anyway, if this were the issue everyone who is running the demo should be having it. I've also tried disabling my ESET anti virus while running the application but nothing changed. 

RX580 and i5 4670k  Windows 10.

Edit: Of course I've also reinstalled the demo several times, once in program files and several times outside of the folder

Edited by Peter90

6 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

You can modify the short cuts in the options of the game and set Ctrl+S for Save/Quit Window. Save/Quit Window opens the "Save your game" dialogue box.

I tried that. It crashes if I use the shortcut, or even press escape to try to open a menu in game. It's all menus I guess that make it crash. Disappointing...

2 minutes ago, Peter90 said:

Sweet Jesus! Thank you, it was Afterburner and RTSS running that caused the crash when you open a menu. Still, Spidweb should know that most of the world uses Afterburner, so I can't believe that made it through testing, but still, thank you. I can play!!!

We are getting reports that playing the game on Steam is part of the problem. When Afterburner users get the version from our web site, it works fine. If you google "Afterburner steam", you'll find a lot of issues, especially when Steam Overlay gets involved.

Anyway, the 101 update will have some changes that might help with the problem. Alas, if it involves SDL2, Afterburner, and Steam fighting with each other, there might not be anything I can do.

32 minutes ago, Spidweb said:

We are getting reports that playing the game on Steam is part of the problem. When Afterburner users get the version from our web site, it works fine. If you google "Afterburner steam", you'll find a lot of issues, especially when Steam Overlay gets involved.

Anyway, the 101 update will have some changes that might help with the problem. Alas, if it involves SDL2, Afterburner, and Steam fighting with each other, there might not be anything I can do.

Love your games by the way! I don't think it is Steam related for me, I wasn't using Steam for the demo and Steam wasn't open. Just Epic game store for Borderlands. I got the demo from Spidweb directly. Turned off MSI Afterburner and I'm in business!

Hope you can sticky the info somewhere where people can clearly see it. If it can't be easily fixed by the developer, that's not a big issue as long as all the users know how to fix it. Can say that on the demo download page or the Steam page. So glad to finally start playing!

Edited by SearingTouch