Queen’s Wish Bugs?

Aimee

18 minutes ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Not a bug, I'm afraid that's how casual works. I play on casual too and I've noticed this in numerous places. :) It could also be related to how fast your player is.

This is not related to the speed's problem.

Spoiler

ie. in Ashen, I was not blessed/hasted and these monsters had initiative many times, they simply can not reach me... Just to be clear, I killed them one by one, and when I killed one, he was not blocked by another one or by a skeleton/... (which I would consider more fair).

In the final battle, this is different, I was blessed and hasted to kill the mages, but the warriors can not reach me, so I can kill them tranquilly while I was attacked/protected by a single snake which makes the final battle very easy :-)

Edited by osnola

Likewise, congratulations osnola! Getting a complete victory like this in Queen's Wish with a singleton is a definite achievement!

As Randomizer said, getting your party into a good position can be very important in this game. This is particularly the case when monsters that take up more than one tile come into play. Large monsters inevitably find it harder to traverse certain spaces than smaller ones – much like they would in reality! – and you can play with that to your advantage. You've found a really good strategy for the Ashen Foundry, and there are other places in the game where you can play similar tricks.

After all, Mire Boars are huge. If you hide in small tunnels, you'll have a much better time dealing with them!

4 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

I noticed that, when you play a singleton, the game counts four tours anyway like it would if you had four characters during battles.

I'm not sure I understand your comment here, ladyonthemoon. This may well be just me, but could you clarify this?

1 hour ago, ladyonthemoon said:

It's like the engine waits for the three other absent characters to act before the enemy attacks.

Hmm, that's odd. I've not noticed anything like that when I've worked with a singleton. Everything seems to go through nice and cleanly before and after my character's turn, with no waiting around.

However, it's possible that this is a problem only seen on certain machines. There's been at least one report of combat showing unusual pauses, so it's possible what you're reporting is connected to that.

However, it's best to have solid data on this, rather than relying on memory. Could you do an experiment at some point, ladyonthemoon, and go a short trek with just one character to see what happens? For instance, try entering an outdoor encounter (there's lots of those in the Ahriel), perhaps dialling down the difficulty to make it more manageable. Does this pause happen consistently after every turn?

3 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

I did that and everything worked normally.

Great! At the moment, everything sounds like it's working as it should. This means that there is no direct evidence for any bug taking place with the allocation of turns for a singleton character, at least right now.

When thinking about reporting a bug, it's always best to be sure about what's being reported. Games like Queen's Wish are complicated programs, and there a variety of things that can cause certain effects – and they're not necessarily always obvious. One way of being confident about a bug report is to do some experimenting, and to see if you can find a way of reproducing the issue. If a bug isn't reproducible, it's much harder to track down and fix. It's very hard to fix a bug if the programer can't see it in action for themselves!

For instance, right now there's no evidence of the problem you mentioned. That will make any issue connected to turn allocations very tricky to track down!

On 10/7/2019 at 5:51 PM,  osnola said: 

This is not related to the speed's problem.

It could be but you could not know about that. Did you check the speed bonus of the monsters you say were not behaving normally? You can do that by right-clicking on them.

Sorry, I do no not check the speed monster bonus, but as I do not slow them, I suppose that it was normal.

Notes:

- I never succeeded right-clicking on a monster, probably either because I play on a macbook with the trackpad or because I play with an azerty keyboard, 

- I also experiment some time gaps that are related (I suppose) to monsters outside of the screen which try to move, but I do not think that there are related to the three missing players 

- I also find other places where larger monsters can not get in contact, sometimes mine boars in the outside but in general this concerns nagas, slimes, ... so they can use other methods to attack. In Ashen foundry (at least in casual), the existence of a safe method that makes 90% of the monsters (including the boss) without attack, surprises me, ...

- concerning the rescue of the soldiers, I have before played a full party in normal, and I had the impression that they were more easier to be rescued ; probably because they begin with less life points in casual, so the narrow range corresponds to less life points. This can also be related to the fact that I want to clean this zone earlier and my level was lower.

Edited by osnola

15 minutes ago, ladyonthemoon said:
   4 hours ago,  osnola said: 

Sorry, I do no not check the speed monster bonus, but as I do not slow them, I suppose that it was normal.

Why that? Some monsters are so big that they could be slow.

I only wanted to say that I never cast a slow spell on these mine boars.

4 hours ago,  osnola said: 

or because I play with an azerty keyboard, 

This is completely unrelated; right clicking is right clicking whatever the keyboard you are using. You might try and use a two or three button mouse with your mac; it would make right clicking a lot easier.:)

I probably need to check how the secondary click is defined in System Preferences 🙂 ie. I almost never need to do a right click, so...

13 hours ago, The Rural Abjurer said:

I think it's possible that what someone was experiencing, was the engine taking turns for enemies who are on other parts of the level and not visible on-screen.  This is often quite noticeable at the start of a dungeon.

Yes, I was thinking along these lines. This is something that's been mentioned a few times now, both by you and osnolo, and also by several people in this discussion over on the Steam forums:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1058130/discussions/0/2564160288798687727/

Curiously, it doesn't seem to tally with my experience. I paid a fair amount of attention to the timings of combat during the testing run, flagging up anything that caused a delay approaching anything like a second. This resulted in a few modifications to the combat script, and some streamlining. At least on my end, combat turns now seem to come through nice and smoothly regardless of the size or complexity of the dungeon (except for very specific niche situations, which it's likely the player will rarely if ever encounter).

According to Jeff, all that should be happening to monsters outside of the 'nearby' field of view is the game cycling over characters and telling them not to act, with no extra calculations being involved. At least in theory, that shouldn't take any perceptible time at all.

So something odd definitely seems to be going on here. It's possible that there's something based on hardware or the OS, or on something else entirely. It's also possible that I've just normalised the game's behaviour in my mind, so that it is happening for me, and I'm just not noticing it. I'm curious, so I'll have a delve into the game and see what I can find.

5 hours ago, osnola said:

I never succeeded right-clicking on a monster, probably either because I play on a macbook with the trackpad or because I play with an azerty keyboard, 

In order to right-click on a trackpad, you need to press the active section of the pad (or the button portion) with two fingers simultaneously.

24 minutes ago, ladyonthemoon said:

I understand that but it doesn't mean that some creature are not slow by default.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, ladyonthemoon, but osnola has been reporting a problem with monster positioning here – the speed at which monsters attack is not really related if the monster is incapable of attacking their target. With apologies for the paraphrasing, but osnola has been describing a situation in the Ashen Foundry where most of the mire boars block the passage to the player, and therefore cannot attack. Generally, with careful party placement, only one or two can reach the party at a time, sometimes none of them if summons are placed carefully.

Since most of them are melee attackers, they could have all the speed in the world, and they still can't attack if they can't reach the party!

(Also, Mire Boars have speed boosts, rather than an innate slowness. Generally, most creatures in Queen's Wish will be faster than 0 speed, presumably to make up for the party's general tendency to increase in speed over the course of the game.)

A weird thing happened. My group came near by a group of people and a message box popped up saying that the slimes finally fall apart. My group hadn't fought a pack of slimes but there is a pack of slimes nearby. I tracked the location this time. :)

Edit: I fought the slimes and earned twice 150 gold. :p (The first time before fighting them and the second after killing them.)

1570636949.jpg

1570636997.jpg

Edited by ladyonthemoon

2 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

Drowning Gaol has the possibility that you'll kill everyone so there will be no problem with taking Not Yours items. :)

I never got up to the money cap, but maybe you should consider spending some of it. :)

I have nothing to buy... and I'd rather not steal stuff. I took Lillian's Claw and the Ring of Fury wondering who was Lillian and that was it.

5 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

I found one creature that has a negative speed bonus

I’m not sure I understand this post, ladyonthemoon, or indeed several of your previous posts. No-one in this thread has made any claim that creatures in this engine cannot have innate slowness, least of all me. We are talking about a problem with monster positioning, which is entirely unrelated to monster speed. Both I and osnola have mentioned this to you.

Please can I encourage you to read these forums carefully.

Perhaps you misread my previous post. I stated that:

8 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Generally, most creatures in Queen's Wish will be faster than 0 speed

This is still completely true. The majority of the creatures in this game have speed boosts. The one exception is the slime family, as you’ve mentioned here. But that doesn’t invalidate my point. For instance, most carrots are orange. That doesn’t mean that some of them aren’t purple, just that most of them aren't purple!

Remember, this discussion is about a battle with a group of mire boars, which have a positive speed boost. I'm not sure that the speeds of slimes is a relevant commentary on it.

1 hour ago, ladyonthemoon said:

There is a lot of things that are labelled "Not Yours" in the Drowning Gaol.

There's a very practical reason for this. If you side with the Mascha, the Drowning Gaol is a friendly town, not a dungeon. Since you can just wander around in that case without much penalty, it stands to reason that some of the rewards should be a little harder to get.

37 minutes ago, The Rural Abjurer said:

Would it be a terrible pun to suggest that the wandering slimes encounter split into two identical encounters?  Yes?

37 minutes ago, The Rural Abjurer said:

Would it be a terrible pun to suggest that the wandering slimes encounter split into two identical encounters?  Yes?

Would that make it a DoomSpecial? The most feared magical guardian of the most important secrets ...

2 minutes ago, Elwro said:

The quest "Taking root in the Vol' is still present in the journal, the entry telling me to give order to rebuild Fort Westbay, even though I have given that order a long time ago.

Did you report to the quatermaster at the Vol Gates? There are many quests like that, they don't complete until you have reported to the quest giver.

For some reason, when I enter a Haven fort my inventory has room for 14 items, but when I leave them my inventory only has room for 11 items, and the items are rearranged or become unavailable depending on how many items I have (though they become available once I enter a fort). I moved the Weavers in some of forts after placing them, could this have something to do with it?

1 minute ago, Minion said:

For some reason, when I enter a Haven fort my inventory has room for 14 items, but when I leave them my inventory only has room for 11 items, and the items are rearranged or become unavailable depending on how many items I have (though they become available once I enter a fort). I moved the Weavers in some of forts after placing them, could this have something to do with it?

No, this is normal, the inventory has been designed like that. The visible slots once you have left the fort are outlined with a darker colour than the other ones. The extra slots make improving items with runes and augments more practical, I think.

30 minutes ago, ladyonthemoon said:

No, this is normal, the inventory has been designed like that. The visible slots once you have left the fort are outlined with a darker colour than the other ones. The extra slots make improving items with runes and augments more practical, I think.

Thanks for confirming that.

• 7 months later...

Hmm, that’s an interesting exploit you’ve uncovered there. You’re quite right – the cap for skill points does not apply to a newly created party member. It’s not a huge difference, since you can only gain a few levels above the cap, but it's a difference nonetheless. It’s also something you can only encounter near the end-game. I suspect that’s why it hasn’t been caught before!

However, as I’ve said a few times on this thread, it’s not overly helpful us knowing on these boards. There’s not much we can do about a bug like this! So, can I encourage you to take this information and send it Spiderweb’s support email? Even if it ends up not getting fixed in Queen’s Wish 1, which it might not given that the release was a little while ago now, your information will make sure it gets fixed in the sequel! Here’s the address:

support@spiderwebsoftware.com

• 1 month later...

Charm of Haven appears to be bugged. Looking at the game files, it is supposed to give +1 to stat 199 (Haven's Mercy) in addition to the +10% curse resistance. This would keep it in line with the other faction specific charms that each give +1 to one of the cultural abilities (Charm of the Vol, Ahriel, Ukat, etc.)

In game, however, it only appears to give the 10% curse resistance. No increase to Haven's Mercy is observed, and it doesn't appear in the item description.

Strange. There must be something hardcoded that prevents the Haven's Mercy bonus from working on items that have an ability while in your pack. Just tested now and it works when modding the ability onto a worn item like a necklace - just not items with "it_abil_work_in_pack = 1"

Oh well, if that's intentional then never mind the bug report.

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2019 at 4:52 PM, Moulton said:

I am unable to complete a quest.

I have the quest ' Journey the Vol' which is associated with the location 'The Barb's Bastion'.

After clearing out the Rusty barb from their hideout, killing their leader and returning to speak with Miranda the quest is never completed (and the dialogue options Miranda gives about the Barb seem contradictory) 

Returning to the 'The Barb's Bastion' it still appears cleared.  There are no enemies and chests are empty.   I'm on PC.

i can quote verbatim what this user is saying: all clear, but barbs bastion quest still open.

Hello lucabar,

Sorry to hear that you’ve had the same problem! Unfortunately, this seems to be a bug that happens very rarely, and that makes it rather difficult to track down. Still, I might be able to help you.

First off, make a copy of your current save file in a new save slot. This is just to make sure you can get back to the original state of your game should anything go wrong! Once you’ve done that, go to Fort Haven and stand near Miranda. Hold down ‘shift’ and press ‘d’. A little dialogue box should appear. In this box, type the following, exactly as shown here:

sdf 0 15 3

and click the tick. Open the dialogue again by holding shift and pressing d, type in this:

sdf 12 11 2

and once again click the tick. Now, go and speak to Miranda. With luck, you should be able to report to her that you’re cleared out the Bastion, and remove the quest from your list! You’re looking for the dialogue item ‘The Rusty Barb has been wiped out.’

If this doesn’t work, do let me know. I might be able to come up with something else that fixes this for you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 5:00 PM, Ess-Eschas said:

Hello lucabar,

Sorry to hear that you’ve had the same problem! Unfortunately, this seems to be a bug that happens very rarely, and that makes it rather difficult to track down. Still, I might be able to help you.

First off, make a copy of your current save file in a new save slot. This is just to make sure you can get back to the original state of your game should anything go wrong! Once you’ve done that, go to Fort Haven and stand near Miranda. Hold down ‘shift’ and press ‘d’. A little dialogue box should appear. In this box, type the following, exactly as shown here:

sdf 0 15 3

and click the tick. Open the dialogue again by holding shift and pressing d, type in this:

sdf 12 11 2

and once again click the tick. Now, go and speak to Miranda. With luck, you should be able to report to her that you’re cleared out the Bastion, and remove the quest from your list! You’re looking for the dialogue item ‘The Rusty Barb has been wiped out.’

If this doesn’t work, do let me know. I might be able to come up with something else that fixes this for you!

thank you for your help

• 4 months later...

Minor unexpected result in Mekhlan Quarry:

Telling the owen on the surface level that you're going to kill them turns them hostile, as expected. However, it also turns the mascha troops on the surface level hostile, which it shouldn't. It turns the owen in their building hostile as expected, while not turning the mascha inside their building hostile, so it's still possible to side with the mascha and complete this quest. It's just weird that you have to kill a few friendly guards to complete it.