Queen’s Wish Bugs?

Aimee

On both my GoG and Humble Windows versions, the "Always Use These Settings" button doesn't seem to do a damn thing. It always asks me what resolution I want on startup.

On an unrelated note, I keep sitting here with the main menu in the background open because I genuinely enjoy the theme that much. Is that weird?

Edited by Simulated Knave

Also, re the Haven Plate boots thing...I looked at some of the other plates. I swear it was using the colors of one of the other plates before. The surcoat on it appears to be brown...is the color coding switched for the boots vs the surcoat? Is that even a thing that can happen? Could 1.01 have fixed or changed that?

4 hours ago, Simulated Knave said:

Could 1.01 have fixed or changed that?

I don't believe it did.

The boots for Haven Plate have always been blue for me. I've been using the Plate for several versions now, extending back some way before the release. If you equipped Haven Plate and weren't seeing blue boots, then something was behaving strangely for one of us!

This may just be what was intended. If you look around Queen's Wish, you'll see other situations where characters are wearing blue footwear, including blue boots. While the clothing extending downwards underneath the plate is brown in this case, this portion of the sprite for plates generally seems to differ compared to the upper part of the lining seen in the character portraits, around the neck. I'd just assumed that the colours were different, in that the neck-based part of the plate was of a higher-grade material, while the leg-guard was less interesting, and more functional. Just a thought.

Having said that, though, the Haven Plate sprites are being adjusted by a tinting effect, so we can't be 100% sure of what the intention was.

Are the blue boots a particular worry? Because of this colour augmentation feature, it would be easy for me to give you a fix that would switch the colours around a tad, should that be helpful.

4 hours ago, Simulated Knave said:

Is that weird?

Hey, it's a good theme! :)

That should not impact achievements.

Also, if you think you have a problem...

unknown.png?width=248&height=385

Jeff's comment about wanting the graphics to be "more like Exile" got me thinking, I'm afraid.  Don't worry, after a few icon replacements I decided this was a bad idea.  Too many differences of scale that won't translate well (as the bed especially demonstrates).

14 hours ago, Simulated Knave said:

On both my GoG and Humble Windows versions, the "Always Use These Settings" button doesn't seem to do a damn thing. It always asks me what resolution I want on startup.

On an unrelated note, I keep sitting here with the main menu in the background open because I genuinely enjoy the theme that much. Is that weird?

There is a problem with this and it will be fixed in v102. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Simulated Knave said:

That said, all I have to do is mod the coloradjust to 0 or 2, right? Do other coloradjs work? And will that invalidate achievements?

Yes, that's right! I wasn't sure if you would be happy delving into the scripts, which is why I didn't mention it immediately.

You can choose any small integer you like for coloradjust, and it will change the tint accordingly. From doing a little experimenting, I might suggest using 8. This is different from other plates, so Haven Plate will still look distinctive, but it results in boots that are probably more along the lines of the colours you're expecting. A value of 2 produces pink boots!

As Slarty said, don't worry about achievements. These are only calculated in the game itself, so altering the scripts will have no effect. You'll still be eligible for them!

This line in Miranda's dialogue:

text2 = "_Then, overnight, it all turned. Our crops died. The nations stopped dealing with us. Then they told us to abandon our forts in their lands and leave. We had no choice. They gravely outnumbered us._";

Doesn't display. It makes her response to why the colony fell a little odd.

I'd note that "It's the sort of thing that is happening again right now." doesn't really make much sense, even with that line added back in, just because it's not happening again right now.

EDIT: To be clear, it's displaying Text 1 and 3. I THINK it's supposed to be displaying Text 1 and 2, and adding 3 in later in the game.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, mikeprichard said:

.......but hopefully another complete proofreading pass has been/will be done before 1.01. No biggie if not, though.

After I finished the game, my response to this is that there is no need to reproof all the text. It has been well writtem and all mechanics of the English language were perfect based on my experience of the game.

Bug or bugaboo?

All the conversations about resources coming and going seem to be moot. My resources are capped at 50 and each report near the end of the game showed numbers of income typically 30-40 something which means most are just ignored and wasted. Trying to build and improve with a 50 account limit is frustrating. You buy buildings and have nothing left to place them. If the 50 is an unintended oversight in programming then I might call it a bug. If intended to throw away all the extra earned resources then its a bugaboo to me. Either way I hope it gets fixed soon.

I loved the game btw. Very well done.

Zorro, if you build everything you can, you come close to breaking even but don't quite -- there is a very small surplus of a few resources, and a small deficit of others that ends up being paid off with cash.  Have you built all 7 forts?

The cap of 50 is not applied until after you have both gained income, and spent it on upkeep.

Nope, it does what it's programmed to do -- it does display, just only during certain portions of the primary quest line.

I recommend not making bug declarations based on anything you see in the scripts unless you are very familiar with how they're set up.

Yeah, I understand that. And what appears to  be happening is that line 2 is being limited to the later game, rather than line 3 being limited to the later game. So now when you wander in, fresh from the tutorial, and ask Miranda why Haven had to leave, she says:

"It was all going well. The three nations had treaties with us. We kept order. Everyone got rich. It's the sort of thing that is happening again right now."

And you ask her "why were we so outnumbered?"

Which is a reference to line 2, which doesn't currently appear until later in the game. Maybe that's working as designed, but I doubt it.

It feels like there's a small bug in the Volcanic Beast fight. Often when it's the Beast's turn, I hear the sound that most knockback attacks make after even when it doesn't attack at all. It's hard to explain what's happening - it can buff itself and pass the turn, for example, and that sound effect still plays. Nothing major, but I wanted to bring it to your attention.

I would like to report a minor bug, once I was entering the bridge in ukat (before meeting king borgen one), instead of entering the correct place, somehow I got wrapped to the first throne room (the first room when you start the game)! On second entering it is fixed so it wasn't a big deal also it may already be patched.

A possible bug, maybe introduced by version 1.02?

I'm pretty sure that Rusty, in the Vol Gates, gave my player a quest related to collecting books, scrolls for him. For some reason I cannot get this to happen again in my current new game. Is there any condition that needs to be met so that I get it? Or is it a bug?

1 hour ago, ladyonthemoon said:

A possible bug, maybe introduced by version 1.02?

I'm pretty sure that Rusty, in the Vol Gates, gave my player a quest related to collecting books, scrolls for him. For some reason I cannot get this to happen again in my current new game. Is there any condition that needs to be met so that I get it? Or is it a bug?

Is Rusty the guy just south of the general?  If so, I don't think he ever sent me on a quest...well, other than to go wash my hands.  

Well, he doesn't in the current version's scripts, and neither the quest index nor game atlas (both based on v1.0 and/or late beta versions) list any quests for him.  Talking to him did give me a funny feeling like there had to be more to do there, even though there never was.  But I guess I should stop trying to explain it and just say "Nope" :)

4 hours ago, The Rural Abjurer said:

Well, he doesn't in the current version's scripts, and neither the quest index nor game atlas (both based on v1.0 and/or late beta versions) list any quests for him.  Talking to him did give me a funny feeling like there had to be more to do there, even though there never was.  But I guess I should stop trying to explain it and just say "Nope" :)

I don't know, maybe I'm making a confusion but the memory is quite clear in my mind. :(

Anyway, not a bug, but I found the following puzzling. My party couldn't access the space on their left, on the right where the pointer is in the image below.

1569781594.jpg

I found out why later...

1569781605.jpg

I think the building should be discovered as soon as the party comes near to it, even if they are not in the right place. :)

Another bug, don't think it's listed earlier.

I was in combat against some scorpions. I opened my active character's inventory, and then switched to my main person's inventory by clicking on the portrait. I was then able to access the main character's inventory during combat, even though it was another character's turn. Also, when I closed the inventory, my main character was still active. So, I was able to use an ability from the main character during combat, even though it was another character's turn. After using the ability, the game defaulted back to the character whose turn it was, and I could do the whole thing again to have my main character cast as may abilities as wanted out of turn.

8 hours ago, Random said:

So, I was able to use an ability from the main character during combat, even though it was another character's turn.

Be careful with this. This is part of an exploit that we thought was dealt with during testing – but it seems that you've found exactly the right combination of actions to get around the checks that were put in place to prevent against it.

It's certainly no laughing matter, Slarty, haha :)

4 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

"... Ghorsh tilts his head to one said."

Good catch! While this game was very carefully proofed, the sheer volume of text means that it's not unlikely that the occasional blip got past the testing team. If this is the first one you've spotted, then that's no bad thing!

I'm not sure what you mean about 'little morsel', though. It seems rather appropriate! As you'll see if you delve into Ghorsh's dialogue chain a little, he's a dragon with a good sense of humour – and one who appreciates jokes. What a nice dragon! :)

2 minutes ago, ladyonthemoon said:

My group bumped into another group in Northern Ukat

This will have happened because a wandering group walked out of its zone.

To help fix this, could you let us know what the wandering group consisted of (snakes? nagas?) and roughly where it took place? A good way to precisely indicate somewhere in the game is to walk to that spot with your party, or as near as you can recall, press shift and d and type in the following into the dialogue box that appears:

This will bring up a precise set of coordinates, making tracking down the problem much easier!

34 minutes ago, Ess-Eschas said:

To help fix this, could you let us know what the wandering group consisted of (snakes? nagas?) and roughly where it took place?

It was a group of people (animals don't talk ;) ), soldiers or guards probably. It happened not far from Home Warren. That's about all I can remember, sorry. :) I'm pretty sure it will never happen again if I try and reproduce it...

That's about all I can remember, sorry.

That's alright! This actually gives a fair amount of information, and I have a hunch about which group might be causing this. I'll need to do some digging into my save files, but I might be able to track this down. Thank you!

(animals don't talk ;) )

Once you get a little further into Queen's Wish, you might change your mind on that one ... :)

5 minutes ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Once you get a little further into Queen's Wish, you might change your mind on that one ... :)

I'm quite advanced in the game but I've never seen animals talk. Just in case, dragons, and their cousins the drakes, are not animals. ;)

Spoiler

Edit: and talking nagas are no longer animals... :p

Edited by ladyonthemoon

But what about this?

Spoiler

Surely a perfectly ordinary, carrot-loving talking snake is an animal? The party certainly thinks so – although I'm sure you could argue that the poor things's not *really* an animal.

For an example of something that talks that isn't human, though, what about the Ahriel's talking tree? It's a normal oak tree, merely infused with natural magic, and it talks perfectly well ...

10 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

For an example of something that talks that isn't human, though, what about the Ahriel's talking tree? It's a normal oak tree, merely infused with natural magic, and it talks perfectly well ...

Any creature that talks cannot be considered animal or plant any more. Neither can they be considered human of course. ;)

Doesn't look like an oak to me... :p

1570269851.jpg

10 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Doesn't look like an oak to me... :p

Of course not! That's the Glorious Tree – I would never stoop so low as to refer to such a vision of beauty as a mere oak.

The talking tree I was referring to is elsewhere. It's not a monstrosity, nor any other kind of walking, magical foliage. It's simply a perfectly normal oak tree – merely a little sad. I can see from the map you've posted that you likely haven't spoken to this nice tree yet. I'm sure you will, in time!

10 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

The map put my party in the water...

The way the printed map and the in-game map are presented in this game means that it's almost inevitable that there will be the odd spot where the two don't quite match up. You've found one of them, and there are a few other little quirks hidden away in other areas. These are actually really very rare – the in-game continent matches up really very well with the cloth map in all but a few places.

I like to think of it this way – your party is navigating using the map as a guide, but the mapmaker was somewhat inaccurate in producing their map. So, while the map you're carrying around with you might place you in the ocean, you're still very much on dry ground. Whoever from Haven penned this map, they were a little out when they drew that section!

I'd suggest having words with Princess Delia when you get home. I'm sure she'll be very interested to have Sacramentum's maps updated!

On 10/3/2019 at 11:13 AM, Random said:

Another bug, don't think it's listed earlier.

I was in combat against some scorpions. I opened my active character's inventory, and then switched to my main person's inventory by clicking on the portrait. I was then able to access the main character's inventory during combat, even though it was another character's turn. Also, when I closed the inventory, my main character was still active. So, I was able to use an ability from the main character during combat, even though it was another character's turn. After using the ability, the game defaulted back to the character whose turn it was, and I could do the whole thing again to have my main character cast as may abilities as wanted out of turn.

Yikes - free unlimited turns is about as exploit-y as exploits get. I suspect Jeff is still actively collecting bug reports here for a future patch 1.0.3 given his forum activity and comments over the past few weeks, but you or another helpful player may consider emailing him this report directly to ensure he fixes it. (I think I've emailed him enough myself over the past few weeks!)

On 9/29/2019 at 2:02 PM, ladyonthemoon said:

I think the building should be discovered as soon as the party comes near to it, even if they are not in the right place. :)

Makes sense to me as well.

Otherwise, typos will continue to crop up in a game with this much text, as they had prior to both patches 1.0.1 and 1.0.2, so it's great to see more identified for correction. Thanks to ladyonthemoon for the careful proofreading and her other bug reports here!

8 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

... you or another helpful player may consider emailing him this report directly to ensure he fixes it.

There are a number of us forwarding on bug comments from here. Rest assured that this issue has already been sent his way, particularly with the nature of the exploit. Still, it's a good reminder to all posting here that the best way to ensure that bug reports are received is to send them on to Spiderweb's support email directly – and not to rely on us forwarders! There's a lot of information in threads like these, and it's easy for little bits and pieces to get missed out! Here's the necessary address:

support@spiderwebsoftware.com

It's worth reiterating that it's not a good idea to play around with this combat bug – it has unexpected consequences. Suffice it to say that it's not quite as simple to activate as the original poster implied – that path was caught out by the testing team. There's a very specific set of actions you have to take in order to get the effect indicated, and this has been reported.

9 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

That is a nice idea, but it might not be quite as easy to realise as it sounds, I'm afraid. This is one unfortunate quirk of the current way that buildings are realised. It was one of two different approaches that was tried during testing, and I assure you that this one is much better!

The tricky aspect is trying to connect up buildings correctly when they're viewed from the north – this is an inevitable problem for a quasi-2D engine such as this. The roofs are placed as tiles, but roof tiles are only revealed when they have walls to connect them to. This means there are certain situations where the behaviour isn't ideal, such as the one that you've seen. Thankfully, the issues are very few and far between.

The previous approach used in Queen's Wish would have allowed more or less what you requested: the building's roof appearing as soon as you see it. However, most buildings in the game when using that approach would have much more serious problems appearing much more frequently – such as the ground showing through roofs much, much more frequently than you'll have seen in the current version of the game!

This is not to say that it's a problem that can't be fixed – but just to add a comment that Jeff has already given a fair amount of thought to the problem, and that it's not a completely trivial one to solve.

I just finished this game in casual playing a singleton: full victory, finishing all quests, choosing the Owen, Brokk(Queen), Silven as vassals...

I tried to get rapidly the Fool's Arc (which is a game's changer), so I do some quests in the Ukat region's with a very low level, maybe this can explain the following problems:

- I find Ashen Foundry trivial:

Spoiler

there are four positions in the lower level which are almost safe, and I end up in one of these positions shooting at monsters which tried unsuccessfully to reach me 

- in Nagafen, I had some problems with the "returning soldiers quest", ie. in a first try, I bless myself and I end up massacring each soldiers in one shot, in a second try, I do not bless myself, but I still massacre half of them using a basic dagger (which seems odd in casual setting)

Killing Shubael the Blind was very challenging,  but I was found the final battle deceiving, ie. before this battle, I finally decide to upgrade my equipment, place augments/runes, .., choose the charms and the potions that I want to keep for this battle, and I finish this battle using only one half of my energy, using no potion, ....

Spoiler

maybe I mimic the watchers too successfully 🙂

Edited by osnola

Casual difficulty makes a big difference in monster health while it doesn't reduce your damage. Position is very important in some fights and some like Ashen Foundry are easier just because monsters can't reach you to overwhelm you with numbers.

Nagafen rescuing soldiers is hard because there is a narrow range where they return to normal and can die from poison or bleeding the next round.

Congratulations on playing a singleton.

Where are the bugs you wanted to report here?

Spoiler

That at least in casual, there exists in Ashen Foundry a method that allows only two/three monsters(the two/three mine boar casters) to attack you, the others(even the boss) wait patiently that you kill them (doing nothing), which makes this dungeon very easy compared to the other ones.

In the final battle, also in casual, if you play a singleton or a full party (and you allow two characters to die early), it is almost possible to do the same, ... I am not sure that this one is a bug but this makes this battle a lot easier :-)

Edited by osnola