Queen’s Wish Bugs?

Aimee

I am unable to complete a quest.

I have the quest ' Journey the Vol' which is associated with the location 'The Barb's Bastion'.

After clearing out the Rusty barb from their hideout, killing their leader and returning to speak with Miranda the quest is never completed (and the dialogue options Miranda gives about the Barb seem contradictory) 

Returning to the 'The Barb's Bastion' it still appears cleared.  There are no enemies and chests are empty.   I'm on PC.

Is there a bug with the quest Reclaiming the Vol? I'm up to the point where you need to assault Thabhlen pass for the Owen, but it's friendly.

The Owen leaders tell me I need to assault the pass for their quest, my South Battalion general says the same, the quest marker points me to the pass, but there's literally no way to trigger it to become hostile.

edit: Never mind found it, I actually had to go talk with the Mascha and side with them in order to tell the NPC I was friendly with their leaders. In order to get me upstairs so that I could then attack the fort for the Owen😥

I guess it's not possible to complete Reclaiming the Vol unless you just accept both sides as a vassal then choose which one to betray?

Edited by sums223

Game is no longer scaling correctly, on 1.0.0 is scaled up the text and game in general okay on a 2560x1440 screen - i deleted my settings file but no change, run my screen scaled up by 175% and it had been working fine with no issues until the patch last night.

Any ideas or possibly a fix for this? The game is unplayable now as i can barely see the text.

"Game is no longer scaling correctly, on 1.0.0 is scaled up the text and game in general okay on a 2560x1440 screen - i deleted my settings file but no change, run my screen scaled up by 175% and it had been working fine with no issues until the patch last night."

I assume this is Windows v101. I turned on resolution switching for v101. I suggest turning off scaling. Then re-run the game and pick a lower resolution. It should scale correctly but everything on the screen will be big and visible.

Apologies, yes I do mean 1.0.1 - is there no method for me to simply turn this feature back on? I tried your suggestion and sure it looks fine however the game presents in a box that covers about 60% percent of my screen, I couldn't get it to draw fully across my screen - it's  in full screen not windowed mode or any thing like that.

Edited - after some additional troubleshooting dropped the res down to 1600x900 which is about where it seems to have been before, a little frustrating the game doesn't support UI scaling but this works well enough.

Edited by Atts

The Ahriel Radiance ability only seems to trigger for the caster, not the caster's allies. My character has a total of 4 ranks in it (2 from equipment) and I've seen it trigger over a dozen times for herself, but never for any other party members. It's either bugged or I've hit an extremely bad string of luck.

7 hours ago, Mechalibur said:

I'm reasonably sure Radiance isn't affecting other party members as intended.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here, Mechalibur, at least in part!

I run a party which makes strong use of Fool's Shot. This means that my party is often afflicted with mental conditions, coming from confusion and all of its various associated status effects. I've definitely seen Radiance trigger on other party members, and it can be really quite useful, especially if it triggers on something like fear!

Just to make absolutely sure, I went back to a boss fight in one of my earlier saved games and played through it for a while. Sure enough, Radiance triggered on a character that had no Radiance points, either through training or items. In this instance, the second character happened to be standing right next to a character who had points in Radiance.

Now, just to be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean that the trigger percentages for other characters are correct, or as documented! What you’ve described does seem statistically unlikely given the tooltips, so maybe it would be worth Spiderweb doing a quick sanity check. Alternatively, we could do some testing ourselves!

However, the base function of Radiance does seem to be working as intended.

While I know this is obvious, it’s worth bearing in mind that, statistically, Radiance will always trigger more often for characters who have the skill compared to those that don't. Even if you are very careful with party positioning, it’s difficult to always keep your party inside the (very tight) sphere of influence – especially when fear causes your party members to run away, or when characters are immobilised in some way. By contrast, characters who have points in Radiance will *always* be eligible, so you’ll tend to see them affected by it a little more.

10 minutes ago, Ess-Eschas said:

I run a party which makes strong use of Fool's Shot.

Wow, really?  This seems like a big risk...

Die size of d4 instead of d2, 2 more base damage, plus guaranteed duration 2 bleed (on regular missile attacks), in exchange for a 10% chance of confusing the entire party (when you make said regular missile attacks).  So at endgame, that's about 14 extra damage immediately (less against armored enemies), ~13 on their next action, and ~13 delayed till the turn after that.

Hmm.  Okay, that is quite a nice increase.  But the whole-party confuse is potentially crippling.

Are you running 3x Ahriel for triple Radiance, or something?

21 hours ago, Queen's Vlish said:

Wow, really?  This seems like a big risk...

Not as much as you might think! In my opinion, going with Fool’s Shot is a very strong choice, and the downsides are really quite mild – at least compared to how it sounds at first blush.

For instance, I’m not using any special party arrangement to deal with it. I only have a net total of three points of Radiance in my party: one from an item (on a Ukatish character) and two from training an Ahriel character. That’s more than enough. In my experience, I am rarely if ever particularly hindered by the confusion.

That 10% chance of confusion is applied as if it were an enemy attack. In other words, your party can – and often does – resist it. Also, I believe the effect is calculated on each character individually, rather than over the entire party. I suppose it’s a bit like the Radiance checks, in a way. If memory serves, I never had the entire party subject to a confusion check at once, but only at most a few members at a time, and then only if I was unlucky. And, generally, the check was resisted anyway.

Even if you do get hit with confusion, it only lasts for 1 turn. Usually, that’s not enough for anything especially nasty to happen. You’ll be hit with one turn of a random effect and, at least in my experience, this is usually fairly mild. 1 turn of silence, for instance, just means that you need to shunt around your attacks a little. Even one turn of fear isn’t that aggravating, since you’ll lose one attack turn, but the character won’t have had enough time to get far enough out of position to lose a second – and this happens so rarely that the extra damage caused should more than make up for it.

To make this clear, this is mostly based on a Veteran run, rather than on Torment, although I'm guessing that the differences wouldn't be all that significant.

There was also another bonus, which was an engine oversight. As such, I tried not to use it. It's since been fixed:

Spoiler

Fool’s Shot doesn’t behave like conventional bows, in that you can attack adjacent characters. As such, it can more or less completely override melee attacks, since it is so powerful.

I'm using Fool's Shot as well, that's actually why I started thinking it's a bug. My Ahriel character has 4 ranks in Radiance, so it should be a 60% chance of triggering for any afflicted party member, right? Yet it hasn't triggered a single time despite almost always being within 4 spaces. Maybe it's working correctly for all party members, but only triggers if the Ahriel character themselves has a mental condition? Or maybe it starts working weird at 4 ranks?

Gameplay-wise (going to spoiler since it's a bit off topic) 

Spoiler

I'm not finding it to be much of an issue. It's only a 10% chance to inflict confusion, and then both confusion and the mental effect it gives can be resisted even when it does trigger. If Radiance were triggering properly that would also be an additional 60% chance to negate whenever the Ahriel takes a turn (the Radiance neck item has 3 augment slots, so you might as well use it anyway, and the other bonus to radiance is a charm). Also if the character wielding Fool Shot gets confused, nothing actually happens because the confusion wears off at the end of their turn.

There is something I have noticed. I reassigned many of the controls and short cuts, among them I assigned F11 to Quicksave and F9 to Fast reload. When I press F9, I get a message according to which I must press "F4" again to reload the game. F4 is not a typo, it's the original setting of Fast reload. The message did not update.

4 hours ago, Mechalibur said:

My Ahriel character has 4 ranks in Radiance, so it should be a 60% chance of triggering for any afflicted party member, right?

Not necessarily! There are various different ways the 15% increases could be interpreted, so the game might not be being that generous. It's probably more likely that the 15% increases are being applied in a multiplicative, rather than an additive, way. In this case, your percentage is a little lower than that, coming in at a 48% chance of Radiance activating.

There's a further problem that we don't know exactly what this number refers to. You could interpret the wording of Radiance in an especially pessimistic way, for instance, and see it as the chance of freeing *one* character from a mental effect per turn of the character with Radiance – say by the game randomly selecting one of the characters each time. For that, the chance of *any one* character seeing the effects of Radiance in your case is much lower, coming in at about 14% with 4 points of Radiance. That's still good, but it becomes then far more likely that one of your characters has just missed out 12 times in a row (those are 14% odds too, in case you're interested, which is a nice coincidence).

In other words, the statistics of this are not entirely obvious. At the end of the day, it will be probably be a little tricky for us to figure this out ourselves – we might need Jeff's help on this one! Let's see what he says.

Still, I've done some more testing, just as a sanity check, and turned up a few things. Radiance does seem to act correctly within the specified range. I've had Radiance act within four direct spaces of the active character (the one who has points in Radiance), but no further away. It also doesn't depend on whether the active character has a mental status effect of their own – so far as I can see, it's entirely down to the target character.

In terms of who it's affecting, Radiance does seem to be working. Tentatively, since I've not done enough testing for the results to be statistically valid, the percentages do seem to differ a bit compared to whether the target has Radiance or not. In any case, let's see if Jeff can shed any light on this one!

Oh, and good choice on Tepig, by the way – a fine starter!

I suspect that the percentage is additive on a single character, by analogy with parallel skills in Avadon and a slightly similar skill here (Bloodletting).

Of course, I'm not the one with testing numbers.  Even if you only ran 20 trials or whatever, I'm curious.  Spill the beef!

56 minutes ago, Queen's Vlish said:

Spill the beef!

Ah, not just yet, Slarty ...

I wasn't very happy with my trials this time around. The main mental effect I was testing was fear, which meant that keeping the party in position – even abusing teleport – was tricky at best. Since I couldn't ensure that the party would always be in at least roughly the same position, it makes any numbers I've gathered rather meaningless. Hence my being especially cautious in any statements that weren't flat-out counterexamples!

I have an idea on how to check this with confusion, though, which would be much easier. If I get some numbers, they'll go here!

2 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

In terms of who it's affecting, Radiance does seem to be working.

On second thoughts, scratch that. Radiance is indeed bugged, Mechalibur. Whoops, and sorry!

It turns out my tests were flawed, so in a sense I was justified in being tentative in parts. I'd forgotten that there are charms that dish out Radiance, and that I had these spread out liberally. The effect was that it *seemed* as if Radiance was working correctly, even thought it actually wasn't.

My bad. Sorry for muddying the waters!

On the bright side, I have a nice confusion-heavy battle set up now, so at least checking numbers should be easy now!

Radiance is indeed broken. It gives a very high chance of helping the character with the stat but 0 chance of helping others. This will be fixed in v102.

Thanks to the person who emailed it to me. I'm really flooded with input right now and it's easy to miss bug reports. 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:48 PM, Queen's Vlish said:

Of course, I'm not the one with testing numbers. Even if you only ran 20 trials or whatever, I'm curious.  Spill the beef!

Without wishing to derail this thread too much further, and since Slarty asked so nicely, I've compiled a list of numbers for Radiance as it currently stands. Of course, we know that Radiance doesn't work as intended at the moment, but I was curious to see how the numbers stacked up. This is also a really convenient time to do some testing, too, since each character's Radiance works independently!

What I did was to line up all my characters with increasing amounts of Radiance, and then place them in a battle where they are constantly buffeted with mass Confusion attacks. From this, I could quickly build up some trials of the current Radiance checks. The results are below, and are written in the form:

Number of turns Radiance activated / Number of turns afflicted by mental status: Percentage

1 Radiance: 16/30: 53%
2 Radiance: 20/30: 67%
3 Radiance: 26/30: 87%
4 Radiance: 25/25: 100%

Given that 4 Radiance always activates, it looks like Radiance is indeed additive – a multiplicative formula should allow at least some trials to fail with this number of tests, at least with the sorts of percentages shown here. Let’s assume this. Because 4 Radiance gives a 100% chance of activation, but 3 Radiance does not, we can fairly safely constrain the Radiance chance per point (r) to:

25% < r < 33%

From the 1, 2 and 3 point scores, my best guess is that the current percentage chance of Radiance activating is on the upper end of this, probably around:

r ~ 30%

This is based on the test of 1 Radiance being something of an outlier. This seems to make reasonable sense, too, since it would be easy to find ways to double the intended value of 15%.

Good news, Mechalibur. Radiance should *always* be activating for you!

Soooo silly question, but does this mean the tooltip is incorrect for this skill as well, or is the current (as of game version 1.0.1) 100% trigger chance for level 4 in the skill part of the bug that's to be fixed (per Jeff just above, it currently gives a "very high chance of helping the character with the stat", which apparently is part of the bug)? I would expect a 60% chance of activation at level 4 (4 x 15%), but I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious here.

Edited by mikeprichard

The tooltip for Radiance is correct; the current behaviour is just because of the bug. Instead of having a chance of activating over the entire party, Radiance is currently giving the character with the points a higher chance of activation instead – twice as high as it should be, if my numbers above are correct. My guess is that there are two sections of code, one for the active character and one for the allies, and that the 'allies' code currently points back to the active character by mistake.

Worry not! This will all be fixed in 1.0.2!

53/67/87/100 - results

30/60/90/100 - proposed percents above

The 1 radiance result is a bit of an outlier if it really is 30%/pt additive.  Based on these numbers, I think you get a better fit by taking the +15% as working correctly, but starting from some other number rather than 0%.

53/67/87/100 - results

55/70/85/100

I also note that this isn't quite a controlled test -- Radiance is supposed to affect the whole party, and you have 4 characters with some amount of it, so it's possible the other characters are affecting the results, just not in the way expected.  Another hypothesis: 15%/pt + 3.75%*party total (total of 37.5%), giving us:

53    /67   /87    /100 - results

52.5/67.5/82.5/97.5

I'm having trouble changing the image on shop banners. I can create and place them OK and did manage to change the first couple I created by switching through the options but I either forgot how I did that or it's no longer working. When I click on a banner that I've placed it just says the space is blocked (i.e. as if I'm trying to move there). Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

10 hours ago, Queen's Vlish said:

Based on these numbers, I think you get a better fit by taking the +15% as working correctly, but starting from some other number rather than 0%.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that, and it's a good idea! It would certainly fit with the numbers in a much better way than my hypothesis, and I could well interpret Jeff's comment about the bonus along these lines.

As for your other idea, and that of Mechalibur's, they are nice – but unfortunately the numbers weren't gained in quite so simple a way. The figures above were actually produced from *two* trails, rather than one. The first used characters with Radiance points 1, 2, 4 and 8, since I was working with the original 15% in mind, and 8 points in Radiance would have guaranteed 100% in an additive system. Since 4 and 8 both gave 100% results, this didn't give me much information to go on, so I went back and did a second trial with all characters having 3 Radiance points.

I'm also not entirely convinced by predictions that give 4 points less than a 100% chance of success. Granted, this is shaky ground, since 97% percent success would require one trial only to fail, placing this squarely on the resolution boundary. As always, more tests are needed!

Just for fun, though, I reran a test of 1 Radiance, just to check if it was an outlier. It's not, so I'm inclined to trust the offset theory. Here are the new numbers, which also give an indication of the sort of variance in these tests:

1 Radiance: 18/30: 60%

4 minutes ago, mikeprichard said:

I don't mean this to come off as sarcastic, but if Jeff is going to fix the Radiance bugs (which apparently are already nailed down), is there still a need for this testing prior to 1.0.2?

Of course not!

But it's still fun to have a think about what the behaviour is now, and to try and see what's happening under the hood. And we can still infer useful information, such as whether the extra points add in a multiplicative or, as seems to be indicated now, an additive way.

True! But unless you think this may help Jeff fix the bug (which I believe he has a handle on already from his earlier post here), I humbly suggest it might be better to separate this testing into a separate topic to make it easier for Jeff to quickly discover bugs in this "bug collection" topic. (Um, on that note, let's just forget about our 10 pages of posts about the invented term "ever-threaten" in this topic earlier, ha.) Just a thought!

Edited by mikeprichard

Mike -- as stated by numerous people, Jeff included, the forums are not the best way to get bugs to him.  And even if that was the goal (it's not), one big global "all bugs" topic wouldn't be ideal -- separate topics for each verified bug, where all the info is in one place and SW doesn't have to sort through interwoven posts on other bugs, would be better.

Back on the actual topic of discussion:

Ess -- I do want to say that your original description of how you got the data was quite specific, and painted a very clear picture.  Don't do that if that's not what happened 😛

That said, this does not affect Mechalibur's theory at all.  When they said "the rolls for other characters" they meant the rolls of the one PC's radiance for affecting the other characters, so the other PC's Radiance stats are not relevant.  IMO this is just as plausible and likely as the offset theory.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and dismissing a less than 100% chance for a result just because it activated 25/25 times for you is ridiculous.  If you roll at 97% 25 times, the odds of never getting a negative result are 47% -- not unlikely at all.  At 95%, the odds are still 28%.  And you didn't even run the same number of trials for those numbers as for the others, soooo the experimental procedure for this particular trial is definitely not free from human bias...

9 hours ago, Last Electorine of Haven said:

Oh yeah, and dismissing a less than 100% chance for a result just because it activated 25/25 times for you is ridiculous.

It seems that I was more than misleading in my description of the tests above. I'm sorry for not being at all clear. Sorry also for misunderstanding you, Mechalibur. I'm not doing you a great service in this thread :)

Regarding the theories predicting less than a 100% chance of success, all I was trying to say was merely that I was dubious, but that I didn't yet have enough information to say anything firmly. I've since had a look at this more closely, with a test based firmly on 4 Radiance on all four characters. It turns out that I was indeed wrong – a reason why doing more tests is a good thing! Characters with 4 Radiance do indeed have a non-zero chance of failing a check. Here are the figures, which are based on a slightly larger test sample:

4 Radiance: 97/100: 97%

This seems to fit very nicely with your prediction, Mechalibur!

3 hours ago, Simulated Knave said:

Just installed the GoG version...are the boots on the Haven Plate supposed to be bright  blue?

Yes, I think so! They're blue on my version, which is the version distributed through Humble. There's a general blue theme to Haven Plate, it seems – you can see that the garment worn underneath the plate on the character portraits is blue!