Question regarding companions

Reficule

Are they still hive-minded like they were in Avernum, or they have their own personalities and dialogs this time? If it's the first one then I would prefer playing a royalty singleton, sounds kinda cool! I also hope in Queen's Wish the game mechanics are more friendly to solo playstyle than Avernum provided, for instance: always referred by NPCs as plural while you're alone xD

8 hours ago, Randomizer said:

Try the game on torment difficulty. It's like banging your head against a wall. It feels so good when you stop.  :)

Nah-ah, you are not going to talk me into that, enemies in torment are just... fatter, combat is more time consuming, and basically that's it. I always play on hard difficulty, no matter the size of my team. After finished A:EFTP as a singleton, now I'm finishing A2:CS as a singleton as well,  the final boss fight is identical as fighting Sulfras: spam Icy Rain in hope for immobilized,  the "powerup" mechanic is quite broken, made the fight like gambling, there is one time I almost got him, but due to misfortune, he broke control, run onto my face, and banged my head causing 8000+ damage, can't imagine the feeling(and the damage) if I'm playing on torment difficulty😂

Anyway, it's still the first one then? Hope the game will have a lonewolf-like trait to improve solo experience, but as long as the plot is good and the game is beatable by a singleton I can't argue too much, besides, I already decided my protagonist's name in Queen's Wish - Chevyn!😘

Edited by Reficule

• 4 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 12:50 AM, Randomizer said:

Try the game on torment difficulty. It's like banging your head against a wall. It feels so good when you stop.  :)

It is no so bad, if you know what it's feasible and when it's doable(*); ie. I just finished a game without trying to kill Shubael and avoiding the final battle in Tower of the Nisse(**), the only battles that were very, very hard (where I had to reload a lot of times) were the battles inside the three Nisse refuges(***).

In fact, it felt more like banging my head against the wall with my first try in casual mode where I started to clean the Haven areas and then tried to get through the Ahriel/Ukat/Vol gates with a high level character and basic equipment, it was almost impossible.

(*) of course, you will need to reload more often as more things can go wrong,

(**) I accepted the 100-year deal,

(***) maybe, because at that time, I was no longer updating my equipment thinking it was good enough to finish the game. So at the end, my singleton was clearly less optimised that my previous singleton in veteran, but still very optimised...

In Queen's Wish, you have three hangarounds who tag along on your adventures, but the story is all about your prince or princess alone, which very much fits into the theme of the powerful always being alone. However, you will need those three token companions if you really want to complete the game and not just be a doormat and accede to the demands of your opponents (since you will lack the power to subjugate them by force).