Thinking about starting Avernum

Hey gamers, I've been thinking about starting the Avernum Saga. The only spiderweb software games I've played is Geneforge 1-5. I've played these games ever since I was a kid (I'm 18 now) so I think I've done everything those games can offer, sadly. Going into Avernum, what are some things that I should expect, or rather, what is different from the Avernum series as opposed to Geneforge? Thanks fellas.

The game engines are just different enough that you need to think a little bit differently about playing them after Geneforge. However there is no only one way to build a party as you can see from challenge games and discussions about party builds.

The biggest difference is Avernum is fully turn based so monsters don't move around on the screen while you are thinking about what to do outside of combat. So at the start as you get used to the game, you can take your time to consider what you want to do.

Depending upon original or remakes, each game is slightly or significantly different, so read the instructions so you know what to expect. For instance in original First Avernum trilogy you can summon as many monsters as you have energy. But in the remakes you are limited to one summon per character.

All the characters have their own inventories and items so you need to equip them like your PC in Geneforge. You can take pre-generated characters or customize each one to your playing style.

4 hours ago, Vinlie said:

. Going into Avernum, what are some things that I should expect, or rather, what is different from the Avernum series as opposed to Geneforge? Thanks fellas.

You're underground in a BIG cave system...

It won't effect gameplay but should be kept in mind as your imagination fills in the details as you're hiking around.

Enjoy, it's completely different than Geneforge as Randomizer said, but you'll pick up on things quickly enough.  I'm jealous of you as I'd like to explore that universe again, not knowing what's around the next stalagmite.. (but in a few months I'll have the new Queen's Wish universe to go play in so that's not too bad)

The major difference is that in Geneforge there's you and your "creations", and you have to choose between magic and shaping or balancing everything out for just one main character. In Avernum, you can build your own 4-person party emphasising fighting, magic, priest skills etc from three separate races, each with their own advantages. Also, the map is very very big, but continuous, and has a fast travel method which you will eventually gain access to. Also you can converse with several dragons, with differing results!

My favourite is Avernum 2, where you meet a fourth, hitherto undiscovered race which is very different from the ones you are travelling with.