Avadon 1: Should I equip people I don't plan on using?

Chopkinsca

At different points in the game, there are Hand missions where a Hand will request your assistance on their own personal quest. If you don't do the mission or do it, but don't do it the way they wanted it, then they won't help you in the final mission at the end.

There may be times when you want to use the others because they will be more effective against monsters in an area. However I got through the game with rarely using the Shaman since I never was good at building the character.

Just keep moving equipment to the Hands while in Avadon whether you use them or not. You can always sell it later if you change your mind.

There are also rare items that can only be equipped by a specific character type.  May as well give them to the appropriate person.  Likewise, in the early game, even if I can't use a certain type of common loot (say ranged weapons, bows, disks, etc), they can be used by someone else at the castle.  You may as well equip everyone as best as you can as you go along because you never know when you may need to head out into the wilds with one of them.

/I never made it through a full game being a shaman either. Rarely took him along for the assorted jaunts out into the wilderness too.  Between the front line guys generally being able to heal themselves at least once during a fight & the 'heal self/group' scarab given to one who can't, having a shaman along wasn't all that useful for my style of play

I've been taking Janell along with me every time. I'm using her as a healer and kind of a beastmaster. I'm a Blademaster and I've also been taking Nathalie with me. I haven't had too many troubles so far, but I'm only playing on hard.

There's something about he game I can't put my finger on, but this game feels different from Avernum and Geneforge past the different mechanics and a new-ish engine.