G1: Late game starting to be a drag

The game started out slow for me, then it quickly picked up and I was hooked on it. I am sure I'm getting close to the end and it's seeming to drag on. Combat doesn't get too engaging. I'm level 21 and most things don't give experience, so character growth has slowed down a lot. I miss having to gear up four different party members and deal with assigning their stats with may options. I feel I've been stuck with my creation configuration because it works, but at the same time gets a bit boring. 

I thought after this I'd go straight to Geneforge 2, but now thinking I might do Avernum 5. I'm not sure yet. Geneforge 1 is still a fun game and I'm glad I bought and starting playing the series.

1 hour ago, Chopkinsca said:

The game started out slow for me, then it quickly picked up and I was hooked on it. I am sure I'm getting close to the end and it's seeming to drag on. Combat doesn't get too engaging. I'm level 21 and most things don't give experience, so character growth has slowed down a lot. I miss having to gear up four different party members and deal with assigning their stats with may options. I feel I've been stuck with my creation configuration because it works, but at the same time gets a bit boring. 

I thought after this I'd go straight to Geneforge 2, but now thinking I might do Avernum 5. I'm not sure yet. Geneforge 1 is still a fun game and I'm glad I bought and starting playing the series.

If you're finding that the enemies are getting kinda boring, you'll want to do the end dungeon. You need to find a stone crescent from a crescent thahd somewhere in the western deserty area. The final dungeon is in the very middle of the desert, pretty much. You have a bunch of high-tier enemies constantly spawning (in the first section of the dungeon, you can turn off the spawning equipment, if I recall correctly) and a bunch of cool bosses, including one that drops a belt which gives you +3(!) to your primary stats (int, str, etc.)

They also give you consistent XP if you just want to level up a bit. Although I've never had the patience to bother hitting the level cap in Geneforge (max level in the first game is 30), I believe they'll still get you enough experience that you actually can do it.

On an aside, while I've never played Avernum, I can tell that you may find the non-linear gameplay of Geneforge 2 to be... a little boring.

G2 & A5 are probably each my favorites of their respective series.  That said I'd probably stay in the Geneforge universe through G3 as the programming/playing is pretty similar (G4/5 have an entirely different playing feel).  A5 is with a completely different game engine & it may be hard to go back to Gf after playing that.

6 minutes ago, TheKian said:

On an aside, while I've never played Avernum, I can tell that you may find the non-linear gameplay of Geneforge 2 to be... a little boring. 

Otoh, you could be like me & love the, after the intro sections, open world feel/ability.  You can go where you want & do what you want while exploring the world & figuring out what's going on (the different faction paths are playable at most any level & yet the others just aren't a walkthrough if/when you head that direction later in the game).

For what it's worth A1-3 (& the remakes) are pretty much open world while A4-6 are fairly linear

Oh, I'll still be sure to clear out as many of the zones as possible.I did the Shaper Crypt up to the locked door. That took some time, but I'm only playing it on tricky. 

17 minutes ago, TriRodent said:

G2 & A5 are probably each my favorites of their respective series.  That said I'd probably stay in the Geneforge universe through G3 as the programming/playing is pretty similar (G4/5 have an entirely different playing feel).  A5 is with a completely different game engine & it may be hard to go back to Gf after playing that.

I played A4 before Geneforge 1 and that looks like the same engine as A5. I don't mind going back a generation of engines. I plan on going back to BoA someday. Oh my, so many Spiderweb Software games to play. 

A4 & 5 are the same/very similar engine, 6 is a more advanced one.  If you don't mind going back to an older engine then I guess it really doesn't matter.  That said, you may want to do one series at a time if only for the ease of keeping names/factions straight.

Whatever, do what you want, you should have fun any way you play them.  I'm just jealous of you being able to play them for the first time & discovering them.  While I love Jeff's games dearly, I've played them enough over the decades to remember 'oh yeah, I'm supposed to do 'this' here...'

2 minutes ago, TriRodent said:

I'm just jealous of you being able to play them for the first time & discovering them.  While I love Jeff's games dearly, I've played them enough over the decades to remember 'oh yeah, I'm supposed to do 'this' here...'

I know what you mean. In A2 I'll never experience for the first time going down that river and the strange lands you end up in. I only stumbled across these games early in the year, but they've been the only games I've been playing ever since. I own most of the games too, except A3:RW and Avadon 3.

5 hours ago, Chopkinsca said:

I'll probably play Avernum 5 next.

Well then, you'll have a brand new river* to head down for the first time - enjoy

*pretty sure it's a brand new river.  Looking at the geography it seems to be in a different watershed than the one that flows beneath Formello .... (I'm probably overthinking this just a tad)

5 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

Geneforge 3 is bad because of the game mechanic of island hopping that makes it a chore to move surplus inventory. The plot and fighting mechanics are pretty decent.

I kinda just always kept my items and crafting materials on the ground at the nearest town until I could move them to the Darkstone cave I think it's called on the third island. Where the beautiful magical anvil is