Geneforge 1: Place to stash items

Chopkinsca

Keep in mind that there can only be a maximum of ~210 different items in an area (including existing items in the area and items in containers). As I have not filled up an area by normal means, I am not sure whether the game will crash or the items will just disappear, but in either case it's something to keep in mind if you're storing large amounts of items, especially in areas that already have a bunch of items in them.

1 hour ago, TheKian said:

I am not sure whether the game will crash or the items will just disappear.

If my memory serves, items start disappearing when you go over the item limit for an area. It's hard to do, but not impossible; some towns already have quite a few items as it is. Generally, Jeff's coding is really very solid. In my experience, it's pretty rare to find something that actually crashes his games.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Chopkinsca. Just leave items where you feel most convenient. If you start piling up lots and lots of items, just make a second pile somewhere else! No zones in Geneforge 1 are ever overwritten completely, so if you leave items somewhere, they will stay there forever.

Edited by Ess-Eschas
Adjusting some dubious grammar

5 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

If my memory serves, items start disappearing when you go over the item limit for an area. It's hard to do, but not impossible; some towns already have quite a few items as it is. Generally, Jeff's coding is really very solid. In my experience, it's pretty rare to find something that actually crashes his games.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Chopkinsca. Just leave items where you feel most convenient. If you start piling up lots and lots of items, just make a second pile somewhere else! No zones in Geneforge 1 are ever overwritten completely, so if you leave items somewhere, they will stay there forever.

If I am not remembering incorrectly, when I was spawning in large amounts of items using a cheatsy script (in Geneforge 4), I ended up going over the area item limit and crashing the game. I assume it's because the items are being created by scripts instead of being dropped by the player. Still, it could theoretically happen if you fill up an area and get a quest item reward.

19 hours ago, TheKian said:

If I am not remembering incorrectly, when I was spawning in large amounts of items using a cheatsy script (in Geneforge 4), I ended up going over the area item limit and crashing the game. I assume it's because the items are being created by scripts instead of being dropped by the player.

Hmm, that's interesting! I think it makes sense that spawned and dropped items have different 'behaviours' for a situation like this. Items that the player drops already exist somewhere in the game's memory and are just being shunted about, but spawned items have to actively take up a new address. Perhaps dropped items don't mind overwriting old items, but spawned items do? Either way, I shall have to be more careful with item piles in future, just to be on the safe side!

On 9/30/2018 at 9:09 PM, Chopkinsca said:

Oh, Geneforge is fun so far, a bit different from the Avernum I'm used to. Looking forward to see where the story goes.

Have fun! I have a soft spot for the first Geneforge, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. Try to solve the mystery of the ancient pylons later on in the game if you can – you learn something quite interesting about the island for doing so!

Joining a faction is fairly helpful. If you want to join up with the Sholai, go with the Takers. Meanwhile, the Obeyers and Awakened each can give you ability bonuses. Joining the Obeyers will get you a bonus to fire Shaping, while joining the Awakened will get you some like, totally sick, dude combat skill bonuses.

Mind, joining a faction is not necessary, and killing literally everything* on the island is also an option.

*that can be actually attacked

Edited by TheKian

1 hour ago, Randomizer said:

Plus just because you join a faction doesn't mean you can't leave and join another. However unless you have enough leadership you may not like what you have to do and it may make a faction go hostile. There are also merchant discounts for joining the faction.

If you have (I think) 12 leadership, you can join the Obeyers, use that one servile to reset your reputation to pro-servile, join the Takers (using leadership to avoid killing Ellhrah) and then leave them and join the Awakened.

If, you know, you want to powergame everything.

I'm trying to play as blind as possible (But I do falter on some things). In game, I haven't felt compelled to choose a side or anything. Knowing there could be rewards isn't quite enough from a role playing perspective. I also feel like I don't know the 3 groups well enough, though I could choose one if I had to.