Geneforge 3 Monastery Caves is so kickass.

Vinlie

This is actually my favorite final dungeon of all of Geneforge. Upon entering the caves for the first time, you feel isolated, disconnected with the outside world. You are alone in this unknown cavern with an unshakable feeling of terror. Hell, even your companion (Alwan or Greta) even express how terrified they are of this place. Near the entrance, you'll find some bodies carrying the passage bracelets. Now you, the player understand this; this area is extremely dangerous and frightening. Whatever happened to these dead people might happen to you unless you can defend yourself. From now on unless you can stop the machine, you are forever hunted. Now for the area itself, it's crazy fun people it's so unpredictable. You can find a Shaper Ghost, a unique Eyebeast, a hella lot of Reaper Turrets, Twinspirit Drakons, a very strong Rotghroth trio, a friggen Radiant Ur-Drakon, and a crazy powerful Creator. All of these fights make you utilize everything you have in your arsenal because they all have different weaknesses. Now the one thing I dislike about this dungeon is the requirement of 20 mechanics. Sure, using all of your mechanic gear plus the artifact infiltrator ring gives a great boost, and sure the Drakon and Mage in the Monastery can boost your mechanics a little is nice, but more than likely you're gonna have to sacrifice some skill points to ensure the shaping vats stop creating annoying ass monsters (run-on sentence). Upon finding the final boss (which is a creator), you can't help but feel a strange symmetry to this, on the first island you fought a creator, and on the last island you fight a creator, except this creator is completely hell bent on destroying you, creating Rotghroths, Eyebeasts, and Drakons. A super fun, challenging fight it is. If you defeat him, he drops an Omnicharm, a fitting reward for someone who had just braved the deeps of the Caves. God this place is just TOO awesome. Not compared to Geneforge 5's "Solar-Powered Guy". Yes, I think in the end, the Monastery caves will be my favorite end dungeon. Thanks for reading and tell me what's your favorite end dungeon :)

Long live the Rebellion

-Vinny

Edited by Vinlie

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who has beaten the bonus dungeons of the first 3 games, I would have to agree. The Monastery of Tears is an incredibly well designed bonus dungeon, and probably one of my new favorite levels in the entire series. It's also genuinely difficult; the Shaper Crypt and Gazak-Uss were both disappointingly easy. I still love the Shaper Crypt for it's semi-importance to the plot and beautiful aesthetic, but as an actual level the Monastery blows it out of the water. The Alpha Creator was a super unique end boss which genuinely caught me by surprise after 1 and 2's were both basically just essence orb machines.

• 5 months later...