Gee whiz, don't you wish ...

Xiarrel-Te

... that Avernums IV, V, and VI had been an Exile series?  I mean, the Avernum series is great, and I get that the continuous indoor/outdoor world appeals to some audiences, but there's something about Exile that just isn't recaptured in Avernum.  The transparency, the simplicity, something.  I really wish I could experience first-hand (i.e. not just from reading on forums) what happens to this world post-III, but I just can't get into Avernum no matter how hard I try.

Collaborative Blades project, anyone?  Gah, but who has time for that.  Oh well.

I counted 227, but I think somebody else counted later and got a number a bit higher.

I'm honestly not sure I could stomach the amount slog trips back and forth to town, in A4 and later games, if I didn't use solely-time-saving cheat codes to simulate such trips in about 2% of the time.

But I suppose I do hate sandwich time almost as much as I hate chitrachs.

The trips back to recharge spell energy were the worst change in the Second Trilogy. Kill a few things and run back to town to conserve potions for the harder fights is one things I will never miss and is why I've never gone back to replay them.

The other problem was the lowered action points as you got encumbered so you had to think about only taking cleared paths after loading up with all the loot. Finding out Jeff added ambushes to make those cleared areas now had a new encounter really was nasty the first time you returned from Grindstone.

The other action point change is that you need to have a certain number of action points left to do something, five to attack or cast a spell, three to use an item.  Get encumbered, take a step or get stunned and all of a sudden you can't do anything useful in a round.