Isle of Bigail map?

I've just arrived on the Isle of Bigail and am in the process of exploring but the map is not filling in like the first area did - the map is just staying blank. The outline of the island is visible but is not filling in when exploring. What am I doing wrong as I guess it's not supposed to be like this? I'm running the GOG 1.0.2 version if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

The way that mapping works in Avernum 3 is slightly different from the other Avernum games, so it can be a little unexpected if you’re not used to it.

In order to see the map of an area, you need to buy a physical map. After all, you’re exploring territory that neither your party nor most Avernites know particularly well, so a map is an important tool to help you travel around on the surface! You had a map of the first area because it was given to you in Avernum; all the rest you’ll need to buy yourself. Talking to people in the major cities in each region is usually (but not always!) a good starting point.

If you want to find the map of Bigail, have you tried:

Spoiler

talking to the librarian in Shayder? He’s in the northern corner of the city. He’s a good person to talk to anyway, since he’ll help you with the plague on the island.