Spellcasting weapons and armour?

Minion

I happened to check the hint book for Exile: Escape from the Pit, and it says that the game has weapons and armour that can cast spells. How did that work? The only items capable of casting spells in the later games are specific spell-items like scrolls, wands and crystals that have no other function.

13 hours ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

You could equip them as usual, or you could press the Use button like it was a wand.

Could you equip them and press the use button? If I recall correctly, equipped items in the Exile games were simply italicized but still remained in your inventory (no dress-up doll).

The Boltblade comes to mind.  You can use it like wand to zap enemies, but you can also equip it like any other edged weapon and hit people with it.  Though, use the last charge and presumably it's gone and no longer works as a sword.  Really, you'd be better off with a normal/magic sword, and maybe a separate wand if you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the items with charges are pretty good though regardless of whether you use their ability, as far as I remember. The Ruby Helm and Emerald Helm are good, and I believe there's a good Halberd that can shoot ice bolts (Runed Halberd? I forget, it's been so long ago).

Basically, treat these as good items that can occasionally lob an attack spell.

Edited by Fireball Fodder

This could make a return in some new game, you know. Have a sword that you wield that shoots icy rain or whatever, put the icy rain in your quick use slot. When there's 0 charges left it's still usable as a sword, and then you could go and re-charge it to a sage or somebody. I'd love that!

Edited by Losrandir
clarity