Avernum 4. Worst disadvantages. Torment. Singleton.

Puksis

I have finally lost my sanity.

Began to replay Avernum 4 on Torment, using one character and only picked the worst disadvantages the game has to offer.

I have cleared most areas before Fort Draco. But naturally I don't have Unlock Doors, and don't have Tool Use either - so some areas are unreachable atm.

I have had a constant battle with the limited carry limit (currently at 45 Lbs), the lack of hit points (50. I pretty much end up one-shot whenever an enemy hits me), lack of Nature Lore/Tool Use and skill points. I think I won't be able to reach Parry in a long time.

It has been a rough ride, and will most likely just get even worse. But I will do it. I will update the topic as I go on.

Current stats:

unknown.png?width=483&height=501

Reached Silvar/Fort Avernum-area. I have mostly cleared areas before Formello, except the ones that require Dispel Barrier or DB crystals and the Drake in Motrax lair. I just can't afford the crystals, even if I found one selling them. I'm sparing for the Defense, NL and Hardiness that can be bought in Silvar and Duvno. 

Unlock Doors has been a nice help. I can unlock doors up to difficulty 10. Limited carrying capacity and the lack of Hit Points / Augmentation is still an issue. Bolt of Fire and Icy Rain are still my main damage sources.

Current stats and spell levels (I might wait for another level up to get a point in Mage Spells):

unknown.png?width=288&height=300unknown.png?width=290&height=301

Edited by Puksis

Our brave-ish hero has finally reached Tower Colony. I have cleared most of the Easter Gallery (Joe, Ogre, 3 Bandit leaders, Eyebeast and the monster at the bottom left corner are dead.) I still haven't stopped the Chitrach infestation and I haven't visited the Slith area across the river. I also cannot visit one area that has Lava bats, as they always get the first initiative and they will two-shot me in one turn.

Still, money is an issue, as is the lack of skill points. I think I will stop getting the Parry for now, as I need a lot more Dexterity to get it. I think I'll invest a few points to Priest spells or Spellcraft.

Edited by Puksis

This is why dexterity or quick action is important just to get first strike without going into fight mode and creeping up to attack since you can't always do that with scripted fights.

Spellcraft is a better investment since most high level priest spells aren't helpful. You can't unshackle your own mind. :)

Reached Camp Samuels. I have cleared most of the Honeycomb. Slayed the Ogres for the Tower Colony and completed the Lizard Egg trial. Saved the Portal Fixers below Almaria. Tried to fight Nicoduas :P

Parry has helped a bit, even though I don't understand the formula. I got 1 point from an item, and it gave 10% chance to parry. Now that I got two points myself, the chance is 20%. Any bit that helps to survive is a plus.

Current issues: Damage is falling off a bit. Mana is running out quite fast, but I might equip the +2 Int belt after getting one point in STR and Endurance. (Belt gives +1 Endurance, but the +2 Int belt weights too much..)

Current stats (Only new spells have been the Minor summon and Prismatic Shield. Did not bother with Mass Healing or Unshackle mind yet):

Edited by Puksis

Our brave warrior cleared half of the top cave of Fort Emerald, including the Drake. I should now clear the Patrick's Tower, areas next to Almaria and Dharmon. After that, I'll head to Fort Remote, as I got the mission to go there. Spells are still my main damage source, even though I got some Dex and bought the Bows skill from Camp Samuels and have the Acid bow equipped. Got Dispel Barrier around lvl 34.

Current issues: Lack of Magical Efficiency. I think I go for it next after getting a point or two in Strength. I might put a few more points to Parry as well. Health is still a bit low, even with Augmentation, as enemies tend to hit like a truck Soviet armored train.

unknown.png?width=484&height=502

Edited by Puksis

Magical Efficiency isn't as helpful as you might think. You can easily circle the map to get ingredients for energy elixirs and the decrease in spell energy doesn't work for most area effect spells.

You are better off increasing spell craft or magery (whichever is cheaper) for greater damage with your spells.

Shades down. Had to use Invulnerability potions for them. Almaria's one was toughest, as his terror went through decent mental resistance and mind shield spell scroll.

Once again, I need money. I think I need around 25.000 to get all the training and spells I want. Mana still runs out quite quickly.

Current stats and spells:

unknown.png?width=481&height=502

unknown.png?width=485&height=502

Reached Abyss. Cleared Rentar's first keep. The battle was tough, as the wisps could permastun, and the Vahnatai helpers were like sheep. Only their leader got through the gates to help me. The Barghan leather worker made some nice armor and gloves. Unfortunately the Parry/Riposte gloves he made are so nice, I'm not sure if I will use the Gloves of the Hammer. I might try to reach one more level of Mage Spells, one to Magical Efficiency and then start to add more Quick Action.

Issues: Nothing. Now it has happened. All the battles have felt trivial. Randomizer must be proud of me, as I unlocked the Magical Efficiency ;)

Current stats:

unknown.png?width=485&height=502

Most likely the lost chapter to my monologue, as I reached the 2nd Fort of Rentar. I beat all the shades, all the testing areas, Dorikas (well, can you call it beating). Nuked the Spire and spared the GIFTS (I mean, how cruel monster one needs to be in order to give their hideout away?). In the end, with really limited NL, I managed to get 14 knowledge brews made to me - and naturally didn't find the Heartstriker Bow. I also could not read a few spell tomes either. But on the other hand, I could not manage to reach Arcane Blow and the Mid-to-high tier Priest spells anyways.

If I ever do a Torment singleton run, what would I do differently? 1) I would choose a human. The Slith pole weapon bonus gets quite high. 2) I would put a few more points to Strength, one more to Mage Spells, and would equip the Emerald Chestguard. I would take away a few points from Endurance - as in the late game the enemies barely damage me anyways. Overall, the early game was frustrating. Mid-game was tolerable. Late-game began to be too easy. End-game has been almost trivial. Yet, I still think I could do better (like only using 4 out of 5 skill points given.)

What next? I think I'll start another Avernum 5 Torment run with a duo party. Both with one Advantage and one Disadvantage. I think I'm in a need of a more casual run :).

The last stats (with and without equipment) and equipment used:

-Eliavri's Bow
-Incantor's Ring

-Flowing Silk Cloak

-Answering Gauntlets

-Jade Halberd

-Clover Boots

-Infernal Helm

-Airy Vambraces

-Clarity Talisman

-Magus Vest

-Lightning Gird

(When needed: Silk-Woven Cord, Crystalline Aegis, Tinker's Bauble and Gloves, Explorer Ring)

Stats with items: (Edit. All the hp values on this topic are without Augmentation, ie base values.)

unknown.png?width=480&height=501

Spells:

Stats without items:

unknown.png?width=482&height=501

Thanks for the (possible) readers.

-Laati

Edited by Puksis

unknown.png?width=673&height=502

Swapped Magus Vest for Robe of the Magi. Defeated Rentar on the 2nd try, without the Vahnatai. 5 Wands of Death, 3 Pots of Invulnerabilities, 6 Elixirs of Immortalities, 2 Scrolls of Madness, 2 Scrolls of Group haste, 2 Energy Elixirs, many melee hits, many Lightning sprays and Fireblasts later, the journey is over.