A3:RW squiggus hates me

I'm ... well, not quite on my second playthrough.  I started the first game on "normal," realized somewhere around the giants that I was stockpiling potions and scrolls I didn't need, and started again on "hard."  In both plays I've discovered on returning to Squiggus that they're hostile.  

I've got the fix, although I *did* need to search for it.  (Didn't it used to be "pleaseLikeMe" or some such?)  I'm just wondering what is causing the hostility.  The new games disallow theft if there's someone in line of sight, so my thieving ways can't be the problem, can they?  Did word get back that I killed the wrong patrol?  

The town is mad at you for fighting killing the local patrol, doesn't matter that they attacked you first.  The way I was able to mentally work it out, since that patrol did give you a warning the first time they met you, I imagine that once that patrol got back to town, they told everyone about how they got hassled by some filthy slith/nephil... and once that patrol wound up dead, everyone figured that 'twas your party that done it, considering they had already run their mouths about being hassled by you.  

Does Squiggus ever forgive me, with time, if I raise my reputation, if I save the world far ahead enough, or by any means at all? I had to leave a bazillion fine clothings at Vincent's inn -  I hope he wears them sometimes. And I failed to make a message delivery to Squiggus or some job of that type.

Also, this quits my many years of lurking. My sanity was left at the porch long ago. Actually, I dropped it off in some other place, back in... 1996 or 1997.

Edited by Losrandir
typo

Welcome out from the shadows!  I've been away for long enough I feel almost like a stranger myself.  

I don't think there's any in-game way to redeem Squiggus' anger: it's either live with it, or use the cheat code.  Think about it this way: Squiggus is a small place, and so those patrol members were friends and family to everyone there.  If Gandhi murdered your best friend, your cousin, and your sunday school teacher, and then went off to free India, no amount of world-helping awesomeness would make you invite him into your hometown.