Herding NPCs

Thaluikhain

A lot of friendly towns have monsters in them, and a fair few monster filled dungeons have friendlies in them.  Something I've tried doing (normally without much success) is to box in friendly creatures to drive them towards where I know the monsters are, so I'll have help when I fight them (if the friendly is aware of the monster and trying to kill it already, don't need to do this of course).  For example, trying to herd a guard towards a doorway which has a special encounter with a monster when I open it.

Is this something other people try doing, and if so, with any success?

It's probably easier to lure the enemies into the area with friendly creatures. In some games, you can use this to force friendly NPCs to fight and possibly be killed by hostile monsters and NPCs, particularly if you use the Wand of Carrunos to power them up. Nethergate in particular offers several opportunities for this, especially since it doesn't have the super-powered Guards that the Avernum games have.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

On 4/20/2018 at 6:57 AM, Celtic Minstrel said:

Doesn't the Wand of Carrunos turn townspeople hostile though? It's supposed to be a cursed item and is functionally an attack item, so I'd expect it to turn them hostile.

Better late than never, I suppose, though it's not really related to Exile. The Wand of Carrunos is used on the hostile NPCs/monsters to help them rampage through the friendly NPCs, not to make the friendly NPCs better meat-shields. The point of this tactic is to kill or soften up NPCs that you will want to kill later, like the Selkies in Selkiehome or the Rose Lady in the Hollow Hills.