So its official, the new Spiderweb Software newsletter's news on future plans now that Avernum 3: ruined world is completed makes it pretty clear that no, Jeff won't be working on Geneforge rewrite/remakes quite yet. "We are working on a whole new game world, and we’re hoping to announce it soon. It is even possible that we will do our first Kickstarter". 

Gotta say, I for one am pretty disappointed that we won't be seeing a geneforge remake in the near future. 

How do you all feel? do you think the geneforge series dosen't need a remake just yet or are you still holding your breath? How do you feel about Spiderweb Software's plans for a "new world". What would YOU like to see should the geneforge series be remade? 

FWIW, Spiderweb has been saying this consistently for years: that the first offering after the Avernum 3 remake would be something brand new.  Spiderweb has also been talking about remaking Geneforge for a while.  Presumably that will happen after the new game.  And if old patterns repeat, you'll get alternating new games and remakes (as was the case with the Avadon series and the recent Avernum remakes).

Maybe turn down the dramatic all-caps declarations, anyway.

From Jeff back in February:

"We will remaster the Geneforge games, starting in 18 months or so. The story and gameplay will be mostly the same, but I have a lot of cool ideas for the creation system.

I will be giving the Geneforge engine a lot of tweaks to make gameplay more varied and interesting. I was never happy with how leveling up and training creations worked. I want players to feel free to change their creations around to match given situations and not be stuck with a few fixed creations the whole game.

I want you to be able to customize your creations in more satisfying and significant ways.

The base storyline and the main elements of the game that people loves will stay the same."

On 3/15/2018 at 3:38 PM, Randomizer said:

From Jeff back in February:

"We will remaster the Geneforge games, starting in 18 months or so. The story and gameplay will be mostly the same, but I have a lot of cool ideas for the creation system.

I will be giving the Geneforge engine a lot of tweaks to make gameplay more varied and interesting. I was never happy with how leveling up and training creations worked. I want players to feel free to change their creations around to match given situations and not be stuck with a few fixed creations the whole game.

I want you to be able to customize your creations in more satisfying and significant ways.

The base storyline and the main elements of the game that people loves will stay the same."

Sounds pretty cool, thanks for this. One thing I'd especially love to see is better consistency across games. eg. that Krykk fellow you have to kill in GF3, how come he's alive in GF4?

Also I know this one is very debated but personally I wouldn't mind a "canon" answer to who the GF5 protagonist is. Same char as in gf3 imo from text with litalia in gf5: "for all you know, you may have held a great grudge against her once". Just my thoughts

6 hours ago, Aleister said:

Sounds pretty cool, thanks for this. One thing I'd especially love to see is better consistency across games. eg. that Krykk fellow you have to kill in GF3, how come he's alive in GF4?

You don't have to kill him in G3, depending on what route you're playing on. It's true that the events leading up to a game don't line up perfectly with any one particular route from the previous game, though.

Also I know this one is very debated but personally I wouldn't mind a "canon" answer to who the GF5 protagonist is. Same char as in gf3 imo from text with litalia in gf5: "for all you know, you may have held a great grudge against her once". Just my thoughts

It's not going to happen; Jeff's said he leaves that kind of thing up to the player on purpose.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:37 AM, Lilith said:

You don't have to kill him in G3, depending on what route you're playing on. It's true that the events leading up to a game don't line up perfectly with any one particular route from the previous game, though.

Personally, my thoughts on this are that you never actually SEE Khyryk die. You just see a bunch of exploded something from a -supposed- failed teleport. He probably just sacrificed some poor servile or something and teleported away.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:27 PM, Aleister said:

Fare points for sure, but yes I think everyone agree's there are a few slight mismatches in the series we'd hope to see patched

...I am fairly sure it is INTENTIONAL, so as to make no single ending completely canon, so nobody feels 'forced' to play it a certain way.

4 hours ago, TheKian said:

...I am fairly sure it is INTENTIONAL, so as to make no single ending completely canon, so nobody feels 'forced' to play it a certain way.

Well, there's the missing continent too, and I'm sure people better-versed in the series than me could name more inconsistencies.

Edited by Jawaj

Jeff Vogel on Twitter about Avernum:

"I had series of games where I lost track of the sex of characters. A dragon would be male in game 1, female in 2, and male again in 3.

If I was smart, I would have said that this is something dragons go through naturally. Instead I said the truth: I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING."