Final Thoughts, or, A Farewell to Lockpicks (spoilers)

I have now played through the game twice.  Once on casual just to monkey around, and once on torment where I had basically everyone focus on projectile/bow use.  I'm very satisfied with my purchase and experience, as expected  (I mean, E3:RW was what got me into Spiderweb Games way back when...).  Now I shall offer some parting comments from my experience.

1. No more lockpicks, and pure reliance on tool use.  I welcome this change, but breaking into rooms sometimes has consequences, and is also a noteworthy roleplay decision.  Even though we're not using lockpicks anymore, I wish that you would be prompted,  "This door is locked, do you wish to attempt to pick the lock?"  rather than automatically doing so.

2. I don't like unclearable quests.  Particularly, with the unicorn horns and magic notes, I get why they have no end, but it would be nice if perhaps, after X quantity, the questgiver would be satisfied to clear the quest from you, but still accept further turn-ins.  Likewise, I wish I could have told Ivanova "I'm not going to do it" and cleared that quest.  

3. I like the junk bag, but I'm interested in a few tweaks.  It would be grand if something currently in the junk bag could be used as a quest turn-in.  On the other hand, I understand that some players might use the junk bag to protect an item from being taken by an NPC.  Maybe a compromise is a way to choose to make any given item in the junk bag "unavailable" in case someone wants to use it that way (or in case they want to sell most of the crap in there, but had actually stashed a sweet armor in there, etc).

4.  I'm going to have nightmares about bags full of fine clothes and herbs.  I wish those had been stackable.  I can see why they wouldn't have been, but 'twas a pain nonetheless, and we did have some other large stuff stackable such as bags of meal, coal, etc.

5. I think Jeff's favorite words are effluvium, fumarole, and sibilant.

6. One of my favorite things about more recent Spiderweb games are the varied endings.  I felt disappointed that an "ending" system hadn't been worked up, and we basically got a "good job" screen.  I want a little story as my reward for completing the game, and to see what weight some of my decisions carried.  What if Erika survived?  What if I killed all the dragons, does that wind up good or bad for humanity?  If I get dark thoughts, will my life descend down unto madness?  Will the Empire start being accepting of the Nephil - and will the Nephil accept that peace?  I love epilogues where my choices mattered, and some of Jeff's games have totally provided them.  Would be a quality addition to Ruined World remake, and I think it would add a touch extra replayability too.

7. It would be nice if you could combine stacks when tossing stuff into a chest/cabinet/barrel/etc.  Instead you have to take the old stack out of the chest and into your inventory.  I would enjoy being able to put chest/barrel items in the order that I want them, too.

8. Really enjoying the combined hotbar, and probably saved me a lot of time during battling and adventuring. Likewise super enjoying that it didn't cap my level at 30-something. 

9. One playthrough I had four mages.  Mid-game I was kind of lamenting how there wasn't enough quality gear that didn't "encumbers mages,"  but by endgame I had just enough, I think, and it never stopped feeling rewarding finding new pieces.  Huge amount of gear suitable for non-mages, though.  If I ever do another playthrough I think I'll do a party of archery priests.

10. Aba Boot Bucker.

Edited by Rhinestone Jedi
spoilers tag

Regarding no. 4, I believe it to be intentional to force you to balance your inventory space for the possibly hazardous journey,  making you choose between taking those extra scrolls and potions or stocking up on goods. Besides, you can just use the junk bag to load up with the maximum number of sellable bales. In the originals, the weight of all items you carried, as opposed to only equipped items, was used to calculate your encumberance, so loading yourself down with merchandise left you vulnerable in case you were caught in a fight.