Stuck in Golem Factory

Hi, I have literally no clue what do I have to do in the first level (tried to use the mirrors to break some stuff but it didn't work).

At the low level I got stuck because there are 4 lasers and I only have two mirros.

Also I never found the entrance to the north spiral!

Somebody please help!

You need to get to stairs in the northwest or north to get on the raised path. Go around to the north stairs and go down the east stair and find stairs down to the southeast. Downstairs in the northeast behind magical barrier is a box with a key. This key opens the door to stairs up that are reached by the west stair on the north wall. 

Upstairs is a control panel in the southeast corner that will turn off the barriers to the north spiral that is reached from below and the uppermost level that you need to get to (alpha and star).

Have fun staying in fight mode to avoid the power beams. :)

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Trust me. You'll want it back after completing the Golem Factory. :)

Walking in blind, stumbling around, pushing buttons as they come.  Getting bit in the ass and having to use resources, or go back to saves.  Most RPGs have very clear clues, not Avernum, lol!  Yet I figured the Golem Factory out, somehow!  Great puzzle!  After first wandering around on the surface trying to find a tunnel to the 4th ring, I dive in regardless, and sure enough, I find a map.  I don't really get what the glyphs are, alpha, etc.  But I know I have to explore to move forwards.  I figure out combat mode is helpful here, I find a door that needs a key, I go down and find one, I go up and realize I need to go back down to find the tunnel, I felt like a true bumbling idiot hero!  Bravo!  One of the best areas I've ever explored in any CRPG!

Edited by jeffgoddin

Personally, I find the final combat very deceiving:

- I position correctly the first mirror,

- then in combat mode using adrenaline rush, I position the second mirror and I move my party near to the east wall, 

- I exit combat mode and wait until the crystal soul dies

ie. it seems that if the party is far enough to the crystal soul, the crystal soul does nothing but take dommage :-~

Note:

- In the slime pit, when I kill the alien slime, this seems to kill all the monsters on the dungeon ; as I have not explored

all the dungeon, when I explored a new zone, a message often appeared saying that I will encounter some XXX

monsters (even if this zone is now empty...)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The green barriers in the golem spire won't come down for me (which I need to finish the quest).  I set the control panel 

as follows:

Alpha, Beta, Star, Shieldings, fuses all show off.  Intensity is Low.   What am I missing or doing wrong?  

I too am completely stuck in the under golem factory. Had no problem with the upper golem factory although if that's the control panel in the northwest corner, it's melted now and entirely useless. I'm in the under area now. I only have two mirrors, and have accidentally positioned them so that I cannot use them anymore. I did manage, I have no idea how, to destroy the first of the quad beams, but now my mirrors are useless. I can push one but from only two directions, the way I have them positioned. Both directions moves the mirror behind the beams, and therefore out of reach. The second one is already out of reach. My quicksave and autosave cannot help me. I'm thinking I might have to go back to the beginning of my day and just start the whole thing over.

I have been to the center and have thrown that switch. Nothing happens. Have thrown other switches. Nothing affects the quad (now triple) beams. Fight mode does nothing. I cannot get through them. I cannot use blink to get to the lever behind them.

Is there a secret somewhere, or have I just wasted the day?

Thanks, as always!

Randomizer, you are a fount of information! Are you sure your name isn't Jeff?

Yeah, I got the key. I will try exiting and reentering to see if I can reset the mirrors.

Guess I haven't found the area "above the entrance level" but I have the key now! I will go back and look! I pretty much cleared out the entrance level. The beams are pretty easy to manage if you time them right.

As always, thanks and thanks and thanks!

Yes, the mirrors reset, but you still need more than two, as far as I can tell. So now I'm in the upper level trying to negotiate that. I've been at it for awhile and frankly, I've had more than enough. I'll try again tomorrow.

Gotta say, this area just is not fun. No doubt when I finally figure it out I'll feel most wonderful. Or maybe just relieved that it's finally over. We'll see.

Anyhoo, thanks yet again for the help!

OK, I'm just gonna ask for the solution. I made my way to the actual control panel. I followed what it said in the old A3 book as far as it went. I pressed the Alpha and the Beta, and the two "Shielding" buttons. Now I'm back down in the Under factory, and I've STILL got those quad beams with absolutely no way to eliminate them or to get past them, because two mirrors are not enough. Somehow those beams should have been turned off upstairs. Otherwise the puzzle would be impossible, and I know it actually is, somehow, possible, because people appear to have solved it.

Help. What do you press on the control panel??? (I have a save there.) If I can't get it this time I'm just going to let the Golems win, because I am not having fun and this mess just is not worth the time and effort. It will be the first Spiderweb game that I haven't won, out of all of them (well, except I haven't finished all of the Geneforges yet).

Thanks in advance. Otherwise I give up.

OMG! I got through 'em! I looked up to answers earlier in this thread and found the solution: (alpha and star). Made my way back downstairs and the beams are off!

Huzzah!

I really thought this was the first Spiderweb game that I couldn't finish. Of course, I still have lots more to do, but now I feel better.

But sorry, this puzzle is ridiculous. 

Well done for figuring it out, Californian!

The Golem Factory is a tough place to get through, with hard fights and some tricky machinery, so I can understand your frustration! You’re essentially trying to work a big contraption without the manual, all the while avoiding tough, constantly spawning foes. It’s not easy! Part of the reason for the factory's difficulty is because it's an optional part of the game. A player can actually bypass the golems entirely and head on to Blackcrag Fortress to continue with the main storyline without any repercussions. I was going to suggest this as an option, along with the settings to use on the control panel, but you managed to figure out the puzzle before I got my reply in!

P. S. I quite enjoy playing around with beam puzzles, although I think I'm in the minority there. Since you've solved the puzzle, I felt I should mention that it *is* actually possible to get past the four beams with only two mirrors. It requires some careful positioning, and three characters in combat mode. This destroys three beams, and blocks the fourth. I don't think it's an intended solution, since it skips some fights in the factory itself (and isn't possible with small parties), but it makes the journey through a little easier!

Well, I got the solution by looking up higher in this thread. I didn't actually figure it out on my own! And really I knew that this is an optional portion of the game, but cheeez, who wants to skip anything? I always try to do everything! I paid for the whole game, not just part of it! Because of the constant job board quests this is the first Spiderweb game that I won't be able to do absolutely everything in--but I think that might help replayability.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. And in fact, somehow on my first pass I managed to destroy one of those quad beams. If you can do one you ought to be able to do them all. I just have no idea how I did it.

But yeah, having done it once, I think I may skip the Golems on my next playthrough. Once is entirely enough.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2018 at 8:48 PM, Edgwyn said:

Yes, between not being able to figure out how to get to the North spiral, trying to figure out the control panel settings and having to spend all of the time in combat mode, I found this particularly dungeon far more frustrating than fun.

Yeah I think this is my least favorite play time in any spiderweb game, and I have been playing since it was called exile. In spiderweb’s defense, it is not essential to complete the game. 

• 2 weeks later...