The one thing that bugs me about Avernum games: Shops basically mean nothing

I mean, I get that it is realistic for a party of adventurers to find nothing but useless mundane weapons and armor in most shops. But RPGs have trained me to think that new towns mean new shops with better items. It makes no sense of course. But Avernum takes it to the extreme. There are basically no useful items in shops save a few herbs, crafting supplies and potions.

2 hours ago, Randomizer said:

There are a few items that you can only get in shops. Gale has Runed Plate for your mage without all those encumbrances to the to hit chance. There are also a few crafters that make better armor in Bremeton and Trevono.

You just reminded me of a question re: armor and to hit penalties for mages/priests. Is that penalty only for melee & ranged attacks, or does it also apply to their spell-casting percentages when trying to hit enemies?

Sorry for the threadjack!

20 minutes ago, BenS said:

You just reminded me of a question re: armor and to hit penalties for mages/priests. Is that penalty only for melee & ranged attacks, or does it also apply to their spell-casting percentages when trying to hit enemies?

Sorry for the threadjack!

Hit penalties apply to all types of attack.

9 hours ago, dave s said:

I mean, I get that it is realistic for a party of adventurers to find nothing but useless mundane weapons and armor in most shops. But RPGs have trained me to think that new towns mean new shops with better items. It makes no sense of course. But Avernum takes it to the extreme. There are basically no useful items in shops save a few herbs, crafting supplies and potions.

I think it would be nice to have some added incentive to actually buy stuff from shops like people actually do rather than pull boots and cloaks off of dead goblins and bandits, not to mention armour and other equipment that needs to be individually customized.