AVADON side quests

Longtooth

... so.

Long story short, I took a pretty long break while playing Avadon the Black Fortress. I then remembered I had loved it so much I bought the rest of the series, and decided to peek in at my save. Four hours later I've put all my other games on hold, because I'm having the most fun with Avadon. The combat is just so addictive... and the story has me thinking. Coming back to my old save... some of these sidequests are pretty vague, and I have no idea who gave them. Do I need to do them? I ask because the combat difficulty just SPIKED. I made it to uh...the bad duke who was supplying the wizard who came up with the monsters in ... Khellemdrial? Keldara? I dunno. The barbarians. Not the guys fighting with the ninjas. (Off topic... those country names... ugh. Its gonna take all 3 games before I learn the names to each culture.) 

So I am thinking that like other RPG's I may not have done enough side quests. Most of the ones I havn't done are.. fetch quests or quests for the wayfarer. (Like.. I WANT to help that dude, but do I wanna imprison an innocent merchant? Nope. Do I want to go find a Drake's egg? Eh....) Or should I be crafting all those rune stones into my gear? I was waiting until I get good gear.. but Titansteel may be the best of the buyable stuff. I'm not entirely sure.

Doing most of the side quests will raise your level enough to make the game easier when you hit combat spikes. However the game is capped at level 30 and you reach that before the game ends. 

Some quests like the Wayfarer are there to make moral decisions and help you decide what to do in the end. You get to see the politics of Avadon  and the Pact against everyone else.

Upgrading your equipment with the rune stones will help in the combat spike since they can increase armor and resistance to damage. Golden rune stones are the most useful for that. Ones to aid dexterity are also helpful in avoiding getting hit in the first game. Titan steel gives the best base items, but there are a few others that have nice bonuses for certain classes. At this point in the game you will see only a few better items.

Welcome back to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It will only interfere with your enjoyment. :)

Thanks for all the help! I'm around level 28/29 with my party, so I suppose it makes sense Id have good basic gear. Thanks for the advice with runes, I was saving them... and recently when I came back i ... forgot how. I believe its in the forge at the Black Fortress but it could be one of the forges with the Dragon too. I honestly cannot remember where you do the actual forging XD

Anyway thanks again. Answered all my questions.