Minor bugs/issues

I didn't see a thread for this already, and I didn't want to bug Jeff's e-mail over something basically trivial, so I thought I'd start a thread for discussing minor bugs, issues, etc.  Feel free to move/delete/merge this if needed.

I noticed that in the upper giant cavern  ("Grindstone" level), when you use the Hidden Exit, the game puts you outside at the wrong spot - it spits you out at the Grindstone gate instead of on the hidden path that you "can't get back up because of uneven ground."

I think in the Tower of Magi the portraits of Solberg and X are switched around. X's portrait is the same as Solberg's in Avernum 6, and in A3 X is described as his face covered with a hood - which is exactly what Solberg's portrait looks like.

There's also a character I saw somewhere but I forgot where, described as wearing a scarlet or flaming red robe, but the character icon wears green...

e: remembered two more.

You can lock yourself in permanently in the Golem Factory on the level with the lasers you have to rotate. At the bottom right corner you can turn the lasers before opening the secret door that otherwise would let you out of there.

An in the Monastery of Madness there are tile glitches in two rooms with minibosses,  where the wall tiles behind some stairs overlap the stair.

Edited by unesn6iduja

Down in Ghikra, if you tell Glantris-Bok that you'd like to learn more about the vahnatai and then "please in struct me" - you can purchase one each of four rare items, there's only one of each for sale.  But if you go through the dialogue prompts in that order again, the items will once again spawn and be purchaseable.  This way you can get as many vahnatai lore crystals, wisdom crystals, focusing crystals, and spellshards, as you want (or can afford I guess).

10 hours ago, googoogjoob said:

All the signs in Grindstone still refer to "serpents" despite the nagas the giants worship having been replaced with the deep stalker monsters. Also, in a few places "east" and "west" are confused in the text, but I cannot immediately recall where.

Similar problem in the Pit of the Wyrm. The name, and the giants' obelisk-carvings of giant worms, no longer make sense since it's all Deepstalkers with a boss Deathstalker at the end. There's a couple of Phosphorescent Worms hanging about near the end of the dungeon, but it's pretty clear those aren't the centerpiece...

Much like the way the left-behind horse-traders who all have some vague reason not to sell you horses, it's an unpleasant reminder of all the stuff that's been cut out of the game for the remake...

Edited by BlackDragon

On 2/18/2018 at 3:25 PM, Rhinestone Jedi said:

Down in Ghikra, if you tell Glantris-Bok that you'd like to learn more about the vahnatai and then "please in struct me" - you can purchase one each of four rare items, there's only one of each for sale.  But if you go through the dialogue prompts in that order again, the items will once again spawn and be purchaseable.  This way you can get as many vahnatai lore crystals, wisdom crystals, focusing crystals, and spellshards, as you want (or can afford I guess).

On 2/18/2018 at 8:47 PM, Rhinestone Jedi said:

It's happening with Anzovin too.  Supposed to have limited herbs, but more spawn when you go through his dialogue prompts, so unlimited supply if you want.

1 hour ago, Rhinestone Jedi said:

Torgas has a limited supply of potions but if you buy him out in one go, his potions will respawn (and you can get as many invulnerability potions as you want).

And now it's happening in Udell's Miscellany in Marish, getting all the Magical Notes, unicorn horns, and wands that I want.  I think I've connected the dots.  Any merchant who *only* deals in limited quantity goods, all you have to do is buy out their entire inventory, and voila, they will have a new set.  This can't be triggered with a merchant who has unlimited of something, since you can't clear their inventory to "nothing" and reset them.

I was going to collect minor bugs and e-mail Jeff after I explored and beat the game, but this seems significant, so e-mailing him now on this one.

On 2/23/2018 at 1:28 AM, Rhinestone Jedi said:

I was going to collect minor bugs and e-mail Jeff after I explored and beat the game, but this seems significant, so e-mailing him now on this one.

I'm pretty sure that it's like that across all the assorted stories (Avadon, Geneforge & obviously Avernum) for whatever reason.  Normally it isn't a huge problem as money is scarce in the game.  With the job boards here providing (essentially, if you're willing to put in the time) unlimited cash, yes it can be exploited.  However, I doubt that it would be exploited by all 'that' many people as even with the ocean of cash available, I always found 'something' else to spend my money on (better spells/training, etc).

However I'm also fairly sure that Jeff would rather hear about it than not (even if nothing is done later on).

/I can vaguely remember doing exactly that with the barbaric sliths at the top of the Waterfall Warrens back in A1.  By the time A1EFtP rolled around Jeff had them selling something else (a necklace iirc)

//in A3 Levy was GREAT to exploit as he would have unlimited supplies of whatever you sold him (until his inventory slots were full).  Want unlimited mandrake, sell him one & buy back (money permitting) as many as you wanted.  Research books were great for this too.  Sell Levy one & then buy back $10k of them, run to the Portal Fortress, turn them in & you'd generally go up a level (while getting $6k or so back as a reward).  A3RW otoh....sigh.  At least he'll still toss you 25gp/day if you ask nicely

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Sir Fred said:

Another silly one:

If you're slow and let Aminro fall (Whoops... my bad guys... sorry, mail needed to get delivered!) to the Troglos, the Shaman and regular Troglo in the inn will actually be friendly. I'm assuming they just got into the booze and are happy drunks.

I always assumed they were the smartest one in town. While the others were fighting, they were kicking back in the inn making sure all the booze was taken care of properly. :)

In the great circle, when you destroy the altar while in combat mode, only normal haakai are summoned. When not in combat mode, they are haakai lords.

Edit: also the demonslayer says that it has the same effect as wyrmslayer (+50% damage to reptiles) when it doesn't

Edited by Scrub