Quests that don't "stick"

I have picked up several of the courier quests that need to be completed in a certain time frame.  I have gone directly to the person with the required object, and don't get a response or reaction from them.  So I go back to where I got it, pick it up once more, go directly to the person, and still nothing.  Is anyone else having this problem?  It's happened several times to me.

There are different types of these quests. The easiest is the ones you describe where you just go to target and deliver. You should get a message that you delivered it and it should be gone from your quest list.

If you missed a delivery quest from a town, you can no longer do quests from there for 60 days. You will see a quick message about not getting quests because you angered the dispatcher. You will find that the quest will go from the board, but it is not in your quest list. It will be back on the board.

This sounds like your problem.

If you're doing 'quests' from the job board (which is what it sounds like), you don't get a conversation response from them.  There's a musical trumpet & a black box pops up saying that your delivery is complete (& your bank acct gets the direct deposit).  Your quest list should have that particular job drop off then.  Quests from the town's quest board (not job board) generally will initiate a line item in the usual conversation with whoever you're supposed to report to.

6 hours ago, txmimi said:

When this has happened, it does not appear on my quest list.  I always play games with the sound off, so can't speak to the trumpet, but have definitely not seen the black box. . . that's what I was watching for. 

I think you can only have a certain number of courier (not normal job board) quests at a given time (maybe four?). So if you already have the maximum number of courier quests if you attempt to take more before you clear at least one of them they will not be added to your quest list and can not be completed.

Spidweb, I did as you suggested and sometimes the quest appeared in my list and sometimes it did not.  I was able to complete the one that "stuck."  I've taken very few of those jobs, but maybe I took one that I didn't complete and I'm on the bad list now.  Oh well. . . I'll know better next play through.